Has Freightliner pulled the plug on their Class 70’s?

Presumably Colas are having more 'luck' with their '70s, or else they are tied to them by a quite different agreement to that of Freightliner.  But even in a diminishing container transport market, that's one heck of lot of capital wasting away in Leeds.  That said, whether Colas or Ftl, 70's emit far fouler black fumes than the ubiquitous '66s.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Burto46 said:

Presumably Colas are having more 'luck' with their '70s, or else they are tied to them by a quite different agreement to that of Freightliner.  But even in a diminishing container transport market, that's one heck of lot of capital wasting away in Leeds.  That said, whether Colas or Ftl, 70's emit far fouler black fumes than the ubiquitous '66s.

As I’ve mentioned before, the leasing agreement with Freightliner Class 70’s is “power by the hour“ so if they are laid up or stored, Freightliner don’t pay anything unlike Colas, who probably have the usual leasing agreement.

Edited by jools1959

• 2 years later...

There were 10 of the class visible on Midland Road Depot last week, and possibly more inside. I haven't seen a Freightliner Class 70 working a train since before Covid. Why doesn't Freightliner simply unload them?

Brian

• RMweb Gold

As I type this, according to a TOPS list three are currently at work, or have just arrived at their booked destinations;

70004 4O03 Lawley Street Freightliner Terminal to Southampton Maritime Container Terminal - intermodal

70011 4O29 Trafford Park Freightliner Terminal to Southampton Maritime Container Terminal - intermodal

70016 6J44 Brindle Heath to Dean Lane - binliner

70008 is listed as being available for service at Leeds Freightliner Terminal, 70014 at Lawley Street and 70017 at Southampton.

In my experience, the ones that are available for service are kept reasonably active on intermodal services from container terminals in the north to/from Southampton Maritime. 

I spotted a Freightliner liveried Class 70 on an intermodal container train, sat at Deansgate station on Thursday morning 4/8/2022 last week, as the train I was on was en route to Piccadilly from Bolton. I think it was 70004, but tricky to see the number at the angle I was looking at it through the carriage window.

Steve S

15 hours ago, Swiftsilver said:

There were 10 of the class visible on Midland Road Depot last week, and possibly more inside. I haven't seen a Freightliner Class 70 working a train since before Covid. Why doesn't Freightliner simply unload them?

Brian

I have passed FL 70s over the past few weeks whilst commuting up to Birmingham with Chiltern so they are still in use even if not all of them.

Apparently DB have loads of 66s laid up at Toton too due to lack of fitting staff & awaiting materials.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/08/2022 at 02:02, SteveyDee68 said:

I spotted a Freightliner liveried Class 70 on an intermodal container train, sat at Deansgate station on Thursday morning 4/8/2022 last week, as the train I was on was en route to Piccadilly from Bolton. I think it was 70004, but tricky to see the number at the angle I was looking at it through the carriage window.

Steve S

Freight through Bolton ?

I didnt think that happened anymore.

• 7 months later...

The latest Don Coffey cab ride video on YouTube is from a Class 70.  The engine sounds really good compared to a 66, although I suppose the external walkways mean the driver is more isolated from the worky bits.  They are pig-ugly but quite impressive.

• Like 1

I still have not seen one on the West Coast Main Line this year! Or anywhere else for that matter. They used to be regular through Stafford on freight, but no more it seems. No Colas 70's either this year.

Brian

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Swiftsilver said:

I still have not seen one on the West Coast Main Line this year! Or anywhere else for that matter. They used to be regular through Stafford on freight, but no more it seems. No Colas 70's either this year.

Brian

A quick reference to a TOPS list shows that as of early this morning 13 of the 19 Freightliner class 70s were at Leeds Midland Road.  Five of those have been stored there for various lengths of time.

Of the two that were working at that time, 70002 was in charge of 4M95, Southampton MCT to Trafford Park FLT and passed through Stafford at 09.18.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many such as 13 seem to have not moved from the location where they have been parked on Midland Rd for quite a long time.  Other than any Colas ones that appear there I don't bother taking any photos.

I wonder if anyone will photoshop one into G&W orange version of the livery

• RMweb Gold

Must check 6H41 Tunstead - Bredbury stone hoppers If I can tomorrow. Grandson said it was a 70 when it passed Marple during his tennis training today. The court he was on overlooks the line. It certainly sounded like one last time I heard it go through.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer