BRM September '18 + FREE DVD + 3D image Pendon booklet

Howard Smith

It should have been August 16 - those were the dates we've been working to. Would you mind letting us know which McColl's store this was, please? Hopefully it'll be in your local very soon.

McColl's, Thame (in the Cornmarket)

Checked again this morning.  August issue still on display - no sign of the September issue.

• Moderators

Checked again this morning.  August issue still on display - no sign of the September issue.

Update - we're looking into it. Fingers crossed it's changed soon, thanks for letting us know.

McColl's, Thame (in the Cornmarket)  Checked again this morning.  August issue still on display - no sign of the September issue.

I picked up a copy in Penzance Smiff's on Saturday, it may have been on the shelf before then.

• RMweb Premium

Subscribe to digital edition. Tried to order 3D glasses but page is unavailable. Ordered glasses for January edition but still waiting for them! read digital edition on iPad and still can’t see videos in full screen. May go back to magazine.

I tried for glasses to get a pop up saying no competitions. I'm also still unable to see videos in full screen and this month I'm unable to open the last extras DVD. I have previously flagged this matter to pocket mags who were going to look into (not sure if full screen or not) and despite several other members also flagging this up I never heard anymore, and clearly this problem hasn't been sorted. Maybe BRM could exert some influence please if you read this.

• RMweb Gold

Checked again this morning. August issue still on display - no sign of the September issue.

Update - we're looking into it. Fingers crossed it's changed soon, thanks for letting us know.

Still no sign of September 2018 BRM in my local independent newsagent - last month's sold out ages ago (almost certainly to me).

The lack of the current BRM is strange, as they've normally got new issues in very prompt for the last few years.

Even stranger as - with this issue not showing up last week as expected - they put in a special request for this one, on my behalf, on Monday. Just for information, the local WHS and all the local big supermarkets have had this issue in since last Thursday.

I'm not impressed - nothing personal - and I certainly don't blame my local newsagent. If the current BRM shows up in my local independent newsagent by this weekend, I'll buy a copy, even though this issue is rather pricey ... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Premium

Just came out of hospital after a painful bout of Diverticulitis (swollen colon). Nothing too serious, so I nagged SWMBO to take me to Killarney to pick a copy of BRM. Spent a very cheery afternoon in bed reading it. Another brilliant issue with something for everyone. Loved the 3D supplement - another one for the prized possessions draw - the shot of the station with the three arched viaduct at the rear was my particular favorite.

Great layouts again - Ripley stole my eye though - beautiful layout with lots going on. Really high standard from all the contributors as per usual. Found the ‘how to’ guide on the pickups very interesting - might have a go at adapting the method for my old Hornby Class 50 (if it’s possible).

Another great issue that keeps raising the game - by far the best modelling mag on the shelves in my opinion. Well done everyone.

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that this issue was to be published on 16 August, but McColl's still have the August issue on display, and no sign yet of the September issue.

It should have been August 16 - those were the dates we've been working to. Would you mind letting us know which McColl's store this was, please? Hopefully it'll be in your local very soon.

I hope you don't mind me butting in here - but I've also been having problems getting hold of my copy of the September 2018 BRM.

Still no sign of September 2018 BRM in my local independent newsagent - last month's sold out ages ago (almost certainly to me).

The lack of the current BRM is strange, as they've normally got new issues in very prompt for the last few years.

I checked again this afternoon - still no September BRM.

My local newsagent then showed me the smartphone app he uses to order BRM. It showed August and October editions (complete with expected "on sale" dates) - but not September - interesting ... .

Of course, the local WHS - and the local big supermarkets - have had this issue on sale since Thursday last week. However, as always, I would very much prefer not to cut out the "small guys".

The way I left things this afternoon is that - since it doesn't look like my local independent will be able to get hold of the September 2018 BRM - I reluctantly have to look elsewhere for this issue - but I intend to come back to him in a few weeks' time for the October issue.

In practice, of course, if I see this issue in a model shop sometime next week, I might get it then (or I might not). I'm certainly in no hurry to get it from WHS, Asda etc.

I have actually made a point of buying my copy of BRM every month since Warners started paying the bills round here - I'm certainly not "anti-BRM", or anything even remotely like that.

However, as I mentioned in my "CBC" entry build thread, scenery has never really been my "thing" - so, if I must miss an issue of BRM, I'm not too worried if it's a more expensive issue mainly devoted to scenery. (A "special" mainly about building motive power and rolling stock would probably be a different matter.)

Anyway, I think that's enough "in-forum" posting from me on this issue ... .

Huw.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Glasses arrived yesterday, had to wear them with my readers too using my phone - Que much hilarity with the kids. Anyhoo quite impressed with the 3D even on my smartphone, not convinced of it's longevity - still a bit of a gimmick IMHO but hey, raised a smile so why not :)

• Administrators

I don't normally get to do the layout photoshoots - that glamorous world is very much Mr York's territory. However, there was a trip to Lancing show a few months ago where I caught up with Michael Campbell and his 009 layout Awngate.

Awngate1.jpg

For such a small model, there is a terrific amount of detail. If you are thinking either "I don't have the space" or "I don't have the skill" then hopefully you'll find some inspiration here. Many of the buildings come from the Metcalf Models card range, but many aren't built as the instructions suggest!

The station is scratchbuilt and very effective. Viewers eyes are drawn to look under the canopy, where they will spy a fully detailed platform. For those not lucky enough to see the layout in the flesh, a bolshie magazine writer insisted on getting his camera into position for a quick shot.

Awngate2.jpg

Layouts like this are the reason I enjoy going to small shows. You never know quite what you will see, and often find superb layouts that would be lost in the hurly-burly of a big show.  

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Since my post a few days ago I too have now received my 3D glasses which I was unable to order online so my thanks to whoever went to the trouble to sort that out for me. Those pictures are fantastic and reading on my iPad it was quite a shock to see my overscale finger going into the scene to swipe left for the next image.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi

spent an enjoyable evening showing my Boys' Brigade members how the 3D images worked. I struggled with the coloured glasses and my varifocals until one of the boys suggested putting them behind the my glasses (next to my face) - worked a treat! Make sure you get them the right way 'round too  ;)

I noticed the description of each image gives the number of images in the 'stack'.  I would be grateful if anyone can explain how each image is created (so I can pass the knowledge on)

many thanks

• Like 1