New Peco Website

irishmail

• RMweb Premium

The turnout plans are currently missing though, hope they reappear soon.

I've just been onto the website to have a look round.

The turnout plans are in the help and advice section

of the menu

• RMweb Gold

Still doesn't appear on the mobile version though. You have to use the search and it needs 'turn out' not turnout it seems. ;)

Even though turnout plan comes up in the suggested search it just shows 9 pages of turnouts here.

Nevermind it's there so thanks for the link. :)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if you should be able to order on line.  There is a basket, but it seems no mechanism to put anything in it.

Shame.  I wanted some Wills sheets but my nearest stockist cannot be located, but I do have a shopping list (in English) to take to him should I find one!  What's the name of that mocel shop in Faversham - just 900km away?

Edited by Andy Hayter

Just checked out the Parkside section of the new site.

What a mess!

O and OO offerings jumbled up, with no clue as to which is which apart from price level and product code (if you happen to know their system by heart).

Phil

select the scale you want from the main page, on the left hand side of the results page that comes up you have a lot of other options to narrow the search by ie brand = Parkside

On the other hand if you do the same thing and choose Peco, standard and narrow gauge options come up, choose standard OO HO = 16.5mm gauge, then category=track, the railcode = 100 and you get...……………………………………….. 1 Products Found, a Setrack levek crossing so quite obviously needs a lot of work

It sure does need work!

I've just given it a test by looking for 0 gauge set-track points, which don't appear under 0 gauge track, while '0 gauge set track' returns about 780 items, when I know full well that there are only four. Even using the filters didn't work.

I found them eventually by using the catalogue number, but it then told me they are:

PECO SETRACK O-16.5 CODE 124 UNIFROG RIGHT HAND TURNOUT

When in fact they are 0, not 0-16.5.

In its present form, goodness knows how innocent newcomers are supposed to find things.

hope to goodness it doesn't harm their sales ......... we all need this company!

PS: Just used it to order a paper catalogue ........ easier to read.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Peco are terrible with IT. They are always trying to resist IT-related change. They still expect people to pop down to their local model shops. It's not a good business decision.

Well they seem to do ok despite people criticising this and the previous site, Peco have broken into the US very successfully so they obviously are doing something right.

With bullhead track they have responded and pretty well beaten DCCconcepts to the wider market thanks to their distribution network.

I emailed them about some of the issues mentioned here and they sent me the files missing from the site and said they are aware and working on it, especially the search facility. If you need anything email them they responded in a few hours.

• Like 1

Just checked out the Parkside section of the new site.

What a mess!

O and OO offerings jumbled up, with no clue as to which is which apart from price level and product code (if you happen to know their system by heart).

Phil

Use the filters on the left...

Peco seem to be the exception that proves the rule that, to succeed in business in the C21st you need a great online presence. Terrible website(s), highly successful business. If they could do IT properly they'd be well on the way to world domination :D.

Just checked today. It took me less than a minute to find 2 BIG errors.

Firstly they have muddled SM32 and G45, in terms of scale in their drop down menu. Sorry that is not what I would expect, especially as it was Peco who came up with ther terminology.

Secondly Gauge 1 is not just 10mm/ft. That is what some accept(partly thanks to someone called Greenley), but many (including myself) use a scale of 1/32 and that is actually closer to the 45mm gauge than 10mm/ft. 1/32 scale is probably the most common scale used in models, especially toys, and is therefore far easier to model than 10mm/ft, which is actually near to one of the military figure scales and has relativley limited support.

Other smaller errors I note above, but I repeat, Peco should be getting these details correct, otherwise how are newcomers(and some less new ones) expected to know what scale they are modelling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Had a play with their new website this morning. It is not very intuitive at all, easy to get lost up the wrong path. I would expect to see sections related to trackwork, building kits, rolling stock etc., searchable by scale and range. But it’s all a jumble unless you already know the product code to search. There appears to be a lot of good stuff on there, but it’s all heaped like a haystack.

It appears to be heavily geared towards supporting their magazines at the moment. Hopefully it will become better structured as it develops.