Reintroduction of Slaters 4mm 20 ton Wooden Hopper

Porcy Mane

I've been asked elsewhere about the sighting of a Slaters advertisement about the reintroduction of the 4mm NER 20 ton hopper wagon.

Thought it would be worthwhile mentioning it here.

Model Railway Express online mag, Page 21 here:

https://issuu.com/drmepublishingltd/docs/model_railway_express_issue_eleven_?e=26483431/63510988

P

I've been asked elsewhere about the sighting of a Slaters advertisement about the reintroduction of the 4mm NER 20 ton hopper wagon.

Thought it would be worthwhile mentioning it here.....

Interesting. Slater's haven't seen fit to mention it on their website....

Just given Slaters a ring, and ordered a few. The gent on the phone was most helpful and said they are still waiting on the transfers, but there moulding is all done, so they can be sent out as soon as the decals arrive.

Looking forward to their arrival!

He also said that just the hoppers are available at the moment, which sounds promising for the rest of their range.

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

Good news to see it becoming available once more, it's one of the most enjoyable plastic kits I have ever built.

Geographically unsuited to anything I'm doing at present, but I'll build a couple for the display cabinet and I'm eagerly awaiting some other Slaters re-releases.

John

• RMweb Premium

Just given Slaters a ring, and ordered a few. The gent on the phone was most helpful and said they are still waiting on the transfers, but there moulding is all done, so they can be sent out as soon as the decals arrive.

Good to know the kits are being supplied with the transfers - presumably Pressfix as before? However Paul Gallon pointed out to me that the original transfers and instructions were in error for the first NER livery, as a result of Slaters being supplied wrong information - not N.E.R. but NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY in full. (Sorry I haven't been able to track down the posts where this was discussed). I think at one time Slaters produced additional transfers for this.

Anyway, this bodes well for transfers with the Midland wagon kits in the fullness of time - the Pressfix sheets for these included such useful items as numberplates, builder's plates and tare weight numerals, not included on the HMRS sheet. 

Good to know the kits are being supplied with the transfers - presumably Pressfix as before?

Waterslide transfers are mentioned in the advert. Time will tell. Maybe it's completely new art work?

Showing my age but when  I bought my first slaters hopper they were supplied with rub on transfers.

Looking forward to their arrival!

... and the you can do some distressing and adding the 360 odd coach bolt heads to the inside.   :smile_mini2:

post-508-0-50228300-1534414776.jpg

post-508-0-90053600-1534414789.jpg

Should sell really well now that there is the r-t-r Q6 to pull them with.

If modelling the BR period most were withdrawn by approx 1960 but the Wooden 13 tonners lasted a good few years more. The NCB and ICI Billingham bought shed loads of the withdrawn 20 tonners from BR. Some of the ICI examples were painted up in ICI livery. My hazy memory tell me all the examples on the NYMR were all ex ICI.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 3

Might get one or two to see if I can back-date them to the earliest 20-ton diagram, which would be just in period for me (who wants black engines when they can all be green! Actually, I would prefer TWW's loco livery, but early 1900s with WW's livery is probably a practical compromise for me - I digress).

More interested in the NER brake van, so fingers crossed for that in due course.

There are at least two other options for the Clayton 6-wheel coaches in production, but I would have liked to have tried the Slaters.  Dean clerestories and, may be another toplight or two ... 

• RMweb Premium

Waterslide transfers are mentioned in the advert. Time will tell. Maybe it's completely new art work?

Showing my age but when  I bought my first slaters hopper they were supplied with rub on transfers.

... and the you can do some distressing and adding the 360 odd coach bolt heads to the inside.   :smile_mini2:

Interesting. I still have the Pressfix sheets for mine, which I bought around the time of my first round of NERism c. 1988.

That'll be 7,200 coach bolts for a reasonable-looking rake of twenty. We'll be seeing more loaded trains than empties, I imagine. Though if you always view your layout from one side and you don't have a return loop, maybe you could get away with detailing the interior on one side only?

Have there been sightings of ads in other magazines yet?

Edited by Compound2632

Clearly Slaters have the market well sussed out. I remarked years ago that this would be the most missed out of their entire 4mm range. Although it's not a vehicle that I personally require, I'm pleased that NE modellers will have such a key kit back in their armoury. Here's hoping that further items from the range are reintroduced in the future.

• RMweb Premium

Although not really my area, I am enjoying the therapeutic wonder of wagon kits at the moment so would be tempted by a couple.  What other 4mm wagon kits did they do that may resurface please?

These made it as far as East Anglia in big numbers in their twilight years, British Sugar had a fleet at both Cantley and Wissington for internal use. A good excuse to have a few alongside blue diesels.