Reintroduction of Slaters 4mm 20 ton Wooden Hopper

Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

My Daughter kindly bought me a couple of the 20 Ton Hopper kits recently and looking through the instructions I see that axle bearings are required. The only ones I have are unsuitable for the kit, being too great diameter, both inside and outside dimensions, so I'm looking to source the most appropriate ones, probably from Wizard Models. My query is :- which bearings are most suitable for this kit, between the plain , unshouldered cylindrical pattern, Top Hat, or shouldered pin point variety.

Any guidance will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

John

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

This seems as good a place as any to report that Slaters have reintroduced the very useful 4 mm scale PO wagon kits:

• 4035 Gloucester 6 Plank (side door)
  • 4036 Gloucester 6 Plank (side and end door)
  • 4040 Charles Roberts 7 Plank (side door)
  • 4041 Charles Roberts 7 Plank (side and end door)
  • 4044 Gloucester 5 Plank (side door)
  • 4055 Gloucester 5 Plank (China Clay, side and end door)
  • 4060 RCH 1923 7 Plank (side door)
  • 4061 RCH 1923 7 Plank (side and end door)

Direct from the horse's mouth here although I was alerted by seeing them on Eileen's Emporium website (where the description of 4040 has got muddled). All £9.50 excluding wheels &c. 

Missing from this release are the following:

• 4039 Charles Roberts rectangular tank wagon 
  • 4057 Charles Roberts salt wagon
  • 4058 Gloucester 7 Plank (side door)
  • 4059 Gloucester 7 Plank (side/end door)

Hopefully they're not so far away!

The Gloucester wagons are especially welcome to the pre-grouping modeller as representing wagons to the 1887 RCH Specification, albeit with some distinctive Gloucesterisms; the Charles Roberts 7 Plank wagons are, I believe, typical 1907 RCH Specification wagons, so ought to be seen on any later period layout where wooden-bodied mineral wagons still abound. 

These kits have been available via POWSides, as they're used for their pre-lettered offering, but it's good to see them more generally available, complementing the kits available from Cambrian, who have a greater variety of 1907 RCH types and also the very useful 4-plank Wheeler & Gregory wagons.

No connection other than the intention of being a satisfied customer!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not the best of pics but it should show you what’s in the transfers under the backing sheet. Personally I find these sheets great. I have built nearly 30 of these wagons over the years and they fixed numbers are easy to slice up to mix the numbers up and you have the extra digits included on the sheet as well.  I use the extras to letter and number up the vast majority of the LNER wagons in my fleet and quite a few PO wagons too.

7CF8D475-840F-48DF-8ABD-EAF98A59503F.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, jwealleans said:

The ones shown are Methfix.   Personally I think they're awful to apply and only use them if there's no alternative.

I haven't bought or seen any of the new production, so I don't know what if anything is supplied with them.

Worse decals ever IMHO. Only thing good on them are the worksplates , that is  simply because no one else makes any.          Railtec Please !!

I contacted Slater's direct and they confirmed the new ones are supplied with waterslide transfers. They are hopefully going to be added to their web site to purchase separately soon. But as it stands I'm not sure if the transfer sheet contains the same as the methfix sheet, so it would be good to confirm that.

One of the reasons I'm querying this is I understand that the N.E.R. lettering (top left on the Methfix sheet) is incorrect for diagram P7 20 ton hoppers, instead should be "NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY" (not present on the Methfix sheet). The N.E.R is however useful for "other" kits!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, thetalkinlens said:

I contacted Slater's direct and they confirmed the new ones are supplied with waterslide transfers. They are hopefully going to be added to their web site to purchase separately soon. But as it stands I'm not sure if the transfer sheet contains the same as the methfix sheet, so it would be good to confirm that.

One of the reasons I'm querying this is I understand that the N.E.R. lettering (top left on the Methfix sheet) is incorrect for diagram P7 20 ton hoppers, instead should be "NORTH EASTERN RAILWAY" (not present on the Methfix sheet). The N.E.R is however useful for "other" kits!

One way to find out would be to order a new kit. Maybe the transfer sheet won't be suitable but you'll have another wagon, which can't be a bad thing!

I built some many years ago. @Worsdell forever pointed out to me the error in the lettering and very kindly provided me with transfers of his own making for the full lettering, which to my shame I have not yet used. The imminence of a RTR NER locomotive may be about to spur me on!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

One way to find out would be to order a new kit. Maybe the transfer sheet won't be suitable but you'll have another wagon, which can't be a bad thing!

I built some many years ago. @Worsdell forever pointed out to me the error in the lettering and very kindly provided me with transfers of his own making for the full lettering, which to my shame I have not yet used. The imminence of a RTR NER locomotive may be about to spur me on!

This is true. The wagon is currently £9.70 (£8.08 + vat) direct from Slaters and the transfer sheet on its own will be £4 + vat, so a wagon for around £6 is a pretty good deal thinking about it that way. I'd still like to see the sheet before ordering though (so I can confidently order more than one!)

An "O" on 20 ton hoppers??? What I'd really like to see is an NER livery P2 or P3 from Oxford.

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, thetalkinlens said:

An "O" on 20 ton hoppers??? What I'd really like to see is an NER livery P2 or P3 from Oxford.

Mineral wagons parked in the background to provide atmosphere and specificity of location. I should also finish my D&S NER 6-wheelers, though you will reply:

An "O" on 6-wheelers???

My ideal NER micro layout would feature BTP and a long-boiler 0-6-0, with some rather smaller-capacity hoppers!

My little NER obsession coincided with a dabble in P4 and a Rice-inspired attempt to convert a Mainline J72 to an E.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Personally speaking I apply these transfers as water slide transfers and they work very nicely. As I say I have used them to letter up many of my LNER kits and some BR ones. I have applied them to Hornby 21t wagons which I have repainted and to modified Parkside kits. I do have the new kits in my stash and will dig them out to check those decals. Much of this could be moot now given Accurascale’s announcement of NER hoppers!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Mark Hamlin said:

I have mislaid my instruction sheet for these and have 4 to build. Couldn’t find them as a download on the Slatwrs website (all the others appear to be there😀). Could anyone assist please?

The simplest solution would be to buy another kit...

On 01/01/2023 at 00:28, Mark Hamlin said:

Hi guys

I have mislaid my instruction sheet for these and have 4 to build. Couldn’t find them as a download on the Slatwrs website (all the others appear to be there😀). Could anyone assist please?

PM me - I might have an old one knocking about.

• 6 months later...