The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Prostate checking

spikey

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

...  It is a good idea to have a PSA test (simple blood sample) in your 40's, i.e. when you are very unlikley to have Prostate Cancer as an indicator of what is normal for you. This can then be used as a benchmark in later life and help to indicate an elevated PSA level that requires subsequent investigation.

Couldn't agree more.  My GP raised an eyebrow at my PSA level when I went to him with one or two symptoms last year, but fortunately he had the wit to search my records for "PSA".  He found a result from a blood test 20-odd years ago that I'd forgotten about (and never knew was being tested for PSA), and with that as a benchmark, declared he wasn't particularly bothered by the latest figure. 

He suggested that, all things considered, it might be an idea to have a quick furtle up the Khyber anyhow, which seemed like a good idea to me too, and that was further reassurance.  If nothing else, it proved to me that the DRE is no big deal whatsoever - and certainly not an indignity.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

PSA is of course notorious for false positives, but that is no reason not to have one, it can always be repeated.  The finger test is both an alternative and a back up and the two are not mutually exclusive of each other.  It used to be done back in my Merchant Navy days (no jokes please) by some but not all doctors in the very strict  bi-annual medical all officers had.

I had one recently (at 60) as part of an investigation into other issues which turned out to be vitamin D deficiency, but also revealed I was Type 2 diabetic.  There's no harm in tests, they have revealed other issues that would have massively affected my long term health.  The PSA was 1.2 BTW, considered normal ish at my age, yes he put his finger up to check, no it doesn't hurt if mildly embarrassing, no it doesn't 'make you gay'.  Not that I have any issue with gay people.

Just get it done folks!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

My GP is still against the PSA test if you have no problems - because of the false positives. I have no problems that I'm aware of - I don't get up in the night for a pee, I don't appear to have any lumps or bumps in that department (Check when having a shower), and flow is ok - right colour and no pain. I could probably get the blood test done privately. Would you insist your GP gives you the PSA or go private? Should have said I'll be seventy three in a months time.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 1

“Just get it done”. Amen to that. A number of my colleagues couldn’t be bothered/didn’t like the idea and a fair few of them are no longer with us. If caught early prostate cancer can be stopped, the trick is to catch it early. There are an ever growing number of ways to cure cancer not all of which involve surgery but the main thing is to be informed. Ignorance is not an option.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

My GP is still against the PSA test if you have no problems - because of the false positives. 

Disappointing logic - but, hey, it saves NHS money! A false positive can be disproved, but an undetected tumour may not be so easily sorted. Your choice. 

As men we have to cope with considerably less drama in the nether regions than does any woman. Monthly events over as much as 40 years, all sorts of potentially undignified events in the course of becoming a mum. I was first referred to a urologist in 2015, he took one look at my PSA and told me it wasn't cancer. Less than a week later he operated under local anaesthetic to reduce the size of the prostate. He had warned me that there was a slight risk that I might not be able to satisfy a woman again, and that I would certainly never make a bedroom mess again - we all know what the prostate does! I have had no problems with lovemaking, all - yes, all - the pleasure is still there to be had, but my loo visits are no longer urgent and frustrating. What do you have to lose by being checked out?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Indeed when it happened to me it was prostatitis which was solved by a course of anti biotics .  It re - occurs occasionally .  I suppose I’m posting to say that not all issues with prostate are cancer , but nevertheless it’s best to take test. Interesting what Metr0land says , my PSA is 0.84  which the Urologist described as normal . 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

By no means all prostate issues are related to cancers, and my own GP was fairly certain that mine weren't, but not absolutely, so he very correctly referred me to my local main hospital's Urologists. t I'm very grateful that he did; a PSA test can hardly be compared to the expense of palliative treatment of cancers too well developed to be removed, and I now have a much better prognosis and awareness of the issue, and stand a very good chance of being completely cured.  If I am not completely cured, then nothing was going to save me anyway, so there really is nothing to lose by getting yourself checked!

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

My GP is still against the PSA test if you have no problems - because of the false positives. I have no problems that I'm aware of - I don't get up in the night for a pee, I don't appear to have any lumps or bumps in that department (Check when having a shower), and flow is ok - right colour and no pain. I could probably get the blood test done privately. Would you insist your GP gives you the PSA or go private? Should have said I'll be seventy three in a months time.

I'm really surprised at your age (the same as mine!)  that the GP is against it. Our practice is very pro-active on such things. better safe than sorry.

Yes, it can give false positives, but problems can develop without symptons showing until somewhat advanced and the older you get the more likely there will be problems.

I would ask the GP if, at your request, he will get it done (in fact our surgery uses the nurses for more routine procedures like vaccination & blood sampling.)

• Agree 4

After a couple of months of "water infections" last year, the doctor again ordered a set bloods to be taken. I asked if these included a PSA test.

He replied no, but because of the trouble i'd been having, it would be a good idea.

Pleased to say the test showed everything normal.

Get it checked out chaps. . . I remember the old road safety advert . . . 

ALTHOUGH THIS MODEL HAS BEEN AROUND FOR SOME TIME, SPARE PARTS ARE HARD TO FIND.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 5

I have an annual PSA blood test and a physical check at least every other year (the nurses won't do that!).  It really is no big deal and I would encourage anyone not to be fearful of the examination.

When my old GP retired, I gave him an A4 version of this cartoon:-

1061447359_prostateexam.jpg.7e69776ceb5757dcd05d5f08f354ecce.jpg

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I have an annual PSA blood test and a physical check at least every other year (the nurses won't do that!).  It really is no big deal and I would encourage anyone not to be fearful of the examination.

When my old GP retired, I gave him an A4 version of this cartoon:-

1061447359_prostateexam.jpg.7e69776ceb5757dcd05d5f08f354ecce.jpg

Should have gone to Specsavers :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

For those of us that prefer prevention to a cure:

Correlation between Vitamin D levels and prostrate problems. The learned doctor in the video below might be promoting a pharmaceutical method. The same results can also be achieved simply by getting outside in the sunshine, and getting some exercise as well.

Various findings include things like 62% reduction in breast cancer and better prostate cancer outcomes too. Significant improvement in immune function and improvements in calcium handling, and many more from M.S. to schizophrenia.

Vitamin D is important to many processes and those of us in northern latitudes will benefit from a supplement during the winter. While it is true that sunlight is the natural way to generate vitamin D it is also the route to skin cancer if overdone. The old adage, “all things in moderation” applies here. Not to be overlooked is the role heredity plays in prostate cancer. My dad had it so I started getting checked in my early 50s and caught it in time. The main message here is get checked, ignorance is not bliss.

Cheers,

David

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

One very common treatment for prostate cancer is ADT, where you have an implant that stops your body producing testosterone. As cancer treatments go this is a very mild sort of treatment. It doesn't have a major effect on your life but it does have a number of irritating and tiresome side effects. An Italian study has found that this treatment does appear to have one good side effect - https://www.oncology-central.com/disease-area/prostate/andriogen-deprivation-treatment-could-protect-men-from-covid-19/ .  

OK its a small sample with all the problems that entails but I thought it worth sharing as reading it gave me a good feeling anyway.

Going way off on one, and probably being completely wrong as I have zero medical knowledge - what do young children and men on ADT have in common? No testosterone and not so badly affected by covid-19. Probably coincidental but you never know. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 months later...

I hope this post is within the rules of the forum.

This month Prostate Cancer UK is running a sponsored cycle 100 miles during August event. If you want to take part the details  of the event can be found here. https://cyclethemonth.prostatecanceruk.org/?_ga=2.174305506.1539599940.1596363057-26265585.1595714166&_gac=1.220721770.1596517615.Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksP7kj-R8sdw7oHfecc5Dvow0Q8bW7sw3xczIiQOb7B0hJhyuhG4cuwaApgjEALw_wcB

Im signed up. If any wants to sponsor me they can here 

https://cyclethemonth.prostatecanceruk.org/fundraising/chriss-100-miles-in-august

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2020 at 15:34, KeithMacdonald said:

For those of us that prefer prevention to a cure:

Correlation between Vitamin D levels and prostrate problems. The learned doctor in the video below might be promoting a pharmaceutical method. The same results can also be achieved simply by getting outside in the sunshine, and getting some exercise as well.

I was a postman for 16 years.  Ultra-fit, out in the sun all day.  Was more concerned about the danger of skin cancer than prostate cancer but was diagnosed with the latter two years ago.  Inherited from my father, but his was slow-growing while mine is not.

If the bullet has got your name on it there is no place to hide.

• Friendly/supportive 11