Layout room colour preference

• RMweb Gold

One can't really isolate the question of wall colour from that of lighting and the way in which the layout is presented.

If relying on a fair amount of natural light, then a pale wall colouring - but not a pure white - is going to be the best option. But if going for a more "exhibition/theatre" style, then a darker colour on the walls will help focus the viewers' attention on the illuminated layout.

I don't have a dedicated room but will be working in a warm garage. When displaying the layout, I will turn the main lights off. So there won't be much light by which to see the white walls.

Pale blue for the walls. It's approximately "sky blue" but of course the real sky is not always the same colour. On the floor I have some rugged non-fluffy variegated green carpet.

The overall feeling is more like the real world in miniature and less like an engineering lab!

Same here in both my loft and garage layouts. The background board sky merges with the wall colour easilly. I also have a similar green carpet in loft.

Brit15

Are you sure that's a lifting flap at the end and not a model of the Schwys-Stoos Funicular railway?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoosbahn

I wuz thinking more Lynmouth to Lynton !! No it's to take 2 seperate lines, one double track main-line, the other a colliery branch,  centre-line about 30cm apart from the main-line, from the scenic side to the fiddle-yard, pic taken from the doorway - or am I stating the bloody obvious??  

Depends on where the layout is intended to depict.  Blue for Cornwall and Devon, Grey for Welsh Valleys, Dark Grey for Manchester and Gold for Yorkshire where the sun shines 24/7.

Only joking, 

Mmm, maybe the workshop could do with another coat of white, it was last done 12 years ago ??!! The new layout under construction, there's track on them boards now. :sungum:

attachicon.gif33469216_1968589766499215_5792600101234933760_n.jpg

Respect, that is one excellent lifting section.   Brilliant use of all the headroom, craftsmanship and design worthy of Brunel himself!

Edited by DavidCBroad

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest a mid grey; this will work well with most sorts of layout lighting, which can then be used to suggest sunny, cloudy, or dark and wet weather.  You want something that will help to diffuse the lighting without drawing attention to itself; white will bounce the light around too much and blue will make the light too cool.

Just my opinion, mind, and there may well be better suggestions out there!  I have to share my layout room with a bed and wardrobes; the missus insists on calling it a bedroom though we know better, don't we, chaps.  This means that I have to accept the off white that the room is painted in, which isn't too bad, and control the layout lighting with the layout lights.

I had given this some thought.  If planning and fitting out a dedicate space - i.e. when as gets me shed - I would opt for a pale blue. A lot of my schemes involve no 2D backscene, more a 3D one or a ridge or tree line, so the idea is that you would look across the model and the wall behind would be the sky.  Further, where baseboards permitted, I might even make curved corners to the room itself.

That, as I say, is if I were to build the room for the railway.

As it is, I have a North Country stone workshop.  The rough stones will not make a sky, and the best that can be done, I think, is to keep them whitewashed.  Because of that, I plan to have a fairly deep (2'), and curved at the corners, backscene, with integral lighting pelmet, so the walls will not really be in view, and I think white would be fine for the walls.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

No.  Too cold unless you want to evoke a permanently sunny day with warm lighting.  Grey is more neutral, and can be used with warm or cool lighting very effectively.  But natural daylight is best in any circumstances!