Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Hi Don.

Was was going to have a go at track building with chairs but couldn't get hold of any at Telford and after reading the supply problems on the C&L thread i might have problems going down that route until Phil gets this sorted. Soldered Copperclad is another option, and i can add cosmetic chairs when they become available but maybe not quite as nice looking.

I've tried the copperclad and cosmetic chair method and found it to be both labourious and difficult to get good running without filing part of the inside chair tops.

I've since used Peco Individulay items ( failing to get C&L products ) and to be honest I'm quite pleased with the results. It's relevant to whether you're happy to accept some compromises, due to the limited chair types available, but I for one am not one of the "hair shirt brigade" and when ballasted and weathered I'll doubtless be satisfied.

post-20303-0-34738900-1536927953.jpeg

Here's one example which has used the Individulay chairs and sleepers cut from obechi strip.

I suppose it very much depends upon your outlook to track building, if you'd have said to me a year ago I'd be making a hand made 3 way point I would have laughed at you. So maybe give it a go ?

G

• Like 1

I've tried the copperclad and cosmetic chair method and found it to be both labourious and difficult to get good running without filing part of the inside chair tops.

I've since used Peco Individulay items ( failing to get C&L products ) and to be honest I'm quite pleased with the results. It's relevant to whether you're happy to accept some compromises, due to the limited chair types available, but I for one am not one of the "hair shirt brigade" and when ballasted and weathered I'll doubtless be satisfied.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Here's one example which has used the Individulay chairs and sleepers cut from obechi strip.

I suppose it very much depends upon your outlook to track building, if you'd have said to me a year ago I'd be making a hand made 3 way point I would have laughed at you. So maybe give it a go ?

G

Looks interesting, but who sells it, everyone google finds is 'ordered on request' or 'Out of stock'?

Sorry Andy for clogging up your layout thread.

Edited by tender

How do you fit the check rails?

I've been looking at the Peco stuff on Model Railways Direct - it's cheap too

The check rails are fitted using the chairs from the Individulay mouldings. They are slid onto each of the outer ends and cut extremely carefully and as close to the rail as possible. My method is using a gel type superglue and positioned with the gauge. Once set I then cut more chairs in half and slide them under the check rail with superglue both on the bases and the inner face of the chair. I would also add that the stock rail chairs are cut too which enables the check rail gauge to slide between and give the required gap.

I have had problems with and don't like using Butanone due to its rather pungent odour thats why I opt for superglue.

Looks interesting, but who sells it, everyone google finds is 'ordered on request' or 'Out of stock'?

Sorry Andy for clogging up your layout thread.

Not certain whether you mean the obechi strip or Individulay ?

I obtain my obechi strip from a local-ish model shop ( try model aircraft or boat building suppliers ) or failing that you can obtain laser cut ply sleepers from the likes of Intentio.

If you can't get the Individulay items on line then a call to Peco themselves who will supply quite quickly.

Hope this helps and apologise to you Andy for taking up this response on your thread.

Grahame

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys I wouldn't worry about clogging up his thread with useful chat.

No mate, I wish it was, a friend is doing some clean up on my Flip Flop, and I can only view some of R M Web on my phone, but not see PM's or do reply's to Post's

He can't reply as he is having his computer cleaned, he didn't say how he got it dirty. Must have slipped out his hands and landed in a muddy puddle. :nono:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

The check rails are fitted using the chairs from the Individulay mouldings. They are slid onto each of the outer ends and cut extremely carefully and as close to the rail as possible. My method is using a gel type superglue and positioned with the gauge. Once set I then cut more chairs in half and slide them under the check rail with superglue both on the bases and the inner face of the chair. I would also add that the stock rail chairs are cut too which enables the check rail gauge to slide between and give the required gap.

I have had problems with and don't like using Butanone due to its rather pungent odour thats why I opt for superglue.

Not certain whether you mean the obechi strip or Individulay ?

I obtain my obechi strip from a local-ish model shop ( try model aircraft or boat building suppliers ) or failing that you can obtain laser cut ply sleepers from the likes of Intentio.

If you can't get the Individulay items on line then a call to Peco themselves who will supply quite quickly.

Hope this helps and apologise to you Andy for taking up this response on your thread.

Grahame

Just to try and illustrate what I've described here are a couple of close-up photographs which may help

post-20303-0-16348200-1536941982_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-16893500-1536941994_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but much cheaper than anything else for fiddle yards & non-scenic bits, especially if you only fit them every 50mm or so.

Best

Simon

A friend simply used brass screws every 50 to 80 mm in the fiddle yard. Simply drawn two lines about 34mm apart and put the screws inalong the centres use something to check the height and screw them all down to the same level.

Don

• Like 1

I've gone off Copper Clad sleepers,especially in O Gauge where the grain of the wood on the sleeper is so prominant, and takes really nice weathering and scenic treatments.

I scratch the surface of CC sleepers with a very coarse grit glass-paper to create a semblance of wood grain. More of an issue is the absence of chairs when assembling with solder, which is why I would only use such points in hidden areas. However, I think soldered CC track is passable in 7mm scale for light railway track using Code 100 FB rail.

Regards,

Charles

• Like 1

I have enjoyed building the trackwork on PD, using C&L chairs & rail, and I’m pleased with the appearance, however, from three coach lengths away, I defy anyone to tell the difference between that, well painted soldered copperclad, or Peco with the sleepers properly spaced.

Close up, no contest of course.

Best

Simon

Honestly, I don't visit RMWeb for a month or so due to work commitments (sorry - excuse 4 letter word...) and look what happens...Andrew is at it again...

Really great layout again sir...trouble is I, like many who are viewing your work, either sob into their chosen drink when viewing your skills or salivate over those lovely 7mm models you've got your hands on....

Off now for a lie down in a darkened railway room and dreaming of what might fit....

Jonathan

Here are a couple of shots of the three-way point on Cwm Bach made from PECO Individulay parts. I prefer C&L when I can get it, the PECO parts are perfectly sericeable and look well with careful ballasting, painting and weathering. The other points in view are built from C&L parts. 

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-86076100-1537005936_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-99756900-1537005984_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Honestly, I don't visit RMWeb for a month or so due to work commitments (sorry - excuse 4 letter word...) and look what happens...Andrew is at it again...

Really great layout again sir...trouble is I, like many who are viewing your work, either sob into their chosen drink when viewing your skills or salivate over those lovely 7mm models you've got your hands on....

Off now for a lie down in a darkened railway room and dreaming of what might fit....

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan, more to come soon I hope, and even some scenic one day maybe.

Here are a couple of shots of the three-way point on Cwm Bach made from PECO Individulay parts. I prefer C&L when I can get it, the PECO parts are perfectly sericeable and look well with careful ballasting, painting and weathering. The other points in view are built from C&L parts. 

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for the pics Chris, really excellent and inspirational.

Cheers.

Agh yes I agree about the 40, and once it's weathered as Bachamann did with Auerol, and you see the Track plan as well, as some minor changes have been required. hahhah.

Got two big blue 40’s...both bought ‘accidentally’ as I get easily confused (which my wife always hears before I go to any shows!)....

...and probably my favourite locos on the shed.

They somehow manage to lumber around the layout looking more ‘majestic’ than my Type 2’s and 3’s! Even my big old Peak doesn’t quite match up to them!

I'm back with the Flip Flop, and will be catching up again over the next few days. I also hope to get some more Track laid on Thursday.

Does that involve cream or tablets Andy ?  :O

Got two big blue 40’s...both bought ‘accidentally’ as I get easily confused (which my wife always hears before I go to any shows!)....

...and probably my favourite locos on the shed.

They somehow manage to lumber around the layout looking more ‘majestic’ than my Type 2’s and 3’s! Even my big old Peak doesn’t quite match up to them!

I do agree, they are rather majestic beast's, I just hope it doesn't look to big going around the curve.

Does that involve cream or tablets Andy ?  :O

Embrocation

Hi Guys, it involves staying indoors and NOT venturing into TOPS as I have picked up some Food Poisoning. :O

Eeeeksssssssssssssss got to go now. :scared:  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

This morning I've spoken to Chris who bought Pen Y Bont, and he is not going to use the back scene that I painted for it, so I'm picking it up on Friday, along with some more Points and Track, and it will go along under the Window, side of the Layout.

• Like 5

I do agree, they are rather majestic beast's, I just hope it doesn't look to big going around the curve.

I’ve got a length of Peco streamline which is curved as tightly as possible and they both go around it quite happily and look fine.....obviously with flange squeal activated!

• Like 2

I’ve got a length of Peco streamline which is curved as tightly as possible and they both go around it quite happily and look fine.....obviously with flange squeal activated!

Thanks for the info, and YES YES YES, Flange Squeal must be activated, hahah. :sungum:

Sadly I really don't seem to have the opportunity to use flange squeal on Penmaenpool, the original track work was well designed and no tight curves were involved, even in the engine shed roads.  Still, when my long long term project of City of Birmingham is completed and Penmaenpool becomes a heritage line for special occasions, the Semi might just let out a squeal or two!

Paul

• Like 1