Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Then the new Soldering Iron arrived, and it should make a neater job than my trusty 60 + year old Iron of my Late Fathers, and still with it's original tip, of sticking the wires to those tiny terminals on the Adapter Board, I just need a steady hand.

IMG_1946.JPG.e1ad3ce479890f132d95a60bd55ec563.JPG

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I just need a steady hand.

I need one of those too.  When you find one, can you tell me and I’ll order one from the same place!

Serious hat on: those pencil tips are good for very fine work as you are doing but not so good for heavier work like adding droppers: they take so long to get heat into a rail (particularly O gauge) that the heat starts to melt the plastic sleepers.  I use a smaller version of your ‘trusty old’ tip for droppers, a benefit of irons with exchangeable tips.  With getting one that fits your new iron.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

I need one of those too.  When you find one, can you tell me and I’ll order one from the same place!

Serious hat on: those pencil tips are good for very fine work as you are doing but not so good for heavier work like adding droppers: they take so long to get heat into a rail (particularly O gauge) that the heat starts to melt the plastic sleepers.  I use a smaller version of your ‘trusty old’ tip for droppers, a benefit of irons with exchangeable tips.  With getting one that fits your new iron.

Paul.

Sound advice Paul.  Better an iron with more heat so you can get the job done with little damage to the surrounding parts/model.

Paul R

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

2 hours ago, pwr said:

Sound advice Paul.  Better an iron with more heat so you can get the job done with little damage to the surrounding parts/model.

Paul R

The Old Iron will still my weapon of choice for most jobs, especially when it comes to wiring the Layout etc. it's quick, and hot, just ask my fingertips, haha.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

44 minutes ago, IAN K said:

Hi Andy it looks amazing .When are we seeing a video with your sound locos.

Hi Ian, I still have the two 33's to do, and hide the second Fiddle Yard but there should be some Videos in about a week I hope.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, philip-griffiths said:

Did I spot Lazy Joe holding up a Morris Traveller in the photos of Bala in RM?

Close, it's his Dad, even lazier Joe Snr. He was a good teacher.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gismorail said:

Blimey Andy your nearing twenty pages since POD modification and you were off line for two weeks ....HOT HOT thread indeed :clapping:

Thanks Martin, but with many other jobs taking the priority this week progress may be slowed down somewhat. I'm working on various things as well such as re doing the chip fitting on 37081, the Scottie Dog one that I originally did with a chockie block as I had nothing else to hand before the move as every thing I wanted was in storage.

Tomorrow sees the Smart Meters being fitted, so again, access for others will need time and space.

Morning Andy. Lovely to have a chat yesterday and put the world to rights ( OMG it needs it !!!!) Glad to know that Dee enjoyed her birthday and seeing all the family must make a big difference which why you moved to the POD. Be interesting to know how you get on with the 'smart metre' after I had mine fitted the monthly payments went up to £60 per month from £40 .... a year later I was over £300 in credit !!! having sorted it out on line I got my money back and I'm paying £20 per month now !!! I will need to check it 

Looking forward to hearing the Class 33 on SMS :drink_mini:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, gismorail said:

Morning Andy. Lovely to have a chat yesterday and put the world to rights ( OMG it needs it !!!!) Glad to know that Dee enjoyed her birthday and seeing all the family must make a big difference which why you moved to the POD. Be interesting to know how you get on with the 'smart metre' after I had mine fitted the monthly payments went up to £60 per month from £40 .... a year later I was over £300 in credit !!! having sorted it out on line I got my money back and I'm paying £20 per month now !!! I will need to check it 

Looking forward to hearing the Class 33 on SMS :drink_mini:

Cheers Martin, Meters fitted, but the Trains don't run any faster, haha.

It may be some while before we hear the 33's, see below.

4 minutes ago, meowenuk said:

Hi Andy - I'm wishing you good luck with soldering wires to the chip for your Class 33! I've got exactly the same set up for my Class 20, and everything works but it doesn't move!

Mark

Hi Mark, I have had to admit defeat with the soldering of the wires.

Just a dab and it was a dry or useless joint, just one second and I lost two of the pads, so I'm in consultation with Paul. The problem being I'm to shaky to try and dab the small wires and pads first time, hence the problem.

I will report more on this mater at a later date.

• Friendly/supportive 2

A start this morning on the Back Scene to hide the Seven Up Junction Fiddle Yard, It just needs the Fields and Trees painting on and some real type trees to hide the Hole in the Sky.

Tested with the 40, and a miss is as good as a Mile as I've said before.

IMG_1951.JPG.0c5e53460b0e79a0add3fd1d98d86121.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG.a064b9a6fd81837502cb53ae59857a76.JPGIMG_1954.JPG.0a5dd8fdcc6753548d9fc8c209477b40.JPGIMG_1955.JPG.654f2d028cda1445eef8efc715f3ea0e.JPGIMG_1956.JPG.53f463b0cf50aabaeb0dbf97624d4c0e.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG.e77643efe9495c6069e5db6cd6a0c66d.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG.28871ad1b93ed2e0c269f7142de2ea50.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG.b22796567f2b2cbe082a912513e769e2.JPG

• Like 16

36 minutes ago, meowenuk said:

Hi Andy - I'm wishing you good luck with soldering wires to the chip for your Class 33! I've got exactly the same set up for my Class 20, and everything works but it doesn't move!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Many Heljan models have beeen equipped this way and are working correctly.

Can you eleborate on the lack of movement, please?

Is this a physical problem with the model (e.g. motors turn but wheels do not?)

Are the wheels turning but slipping?

How many motors are powered? If two, are they both turning in the same direction? My first Heljan 0 gauge instal was a Class 26. All testing was done on a rolling road. All 'worked' fine. Put on the track, it just rocked backwards and forwards. The Heljan wiring to motors was a mirror image of each other. Consequently, one bogie wanted to go in the direction of No1 end and the other of No2 end.

If not physical;

There are a number of possible (legitimate) reasons why the decoder will not drive the motor

If included in your sound project, is the Brake Key engaged?

If included in your sound project, is the Speed Lock key engaged?

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A start this morning on the Back Scene to hide the Seven Up Junction Fiddle Yard, It just needs the Fields and Trees painting on and some real type trees to hide the Hole in the Sky.

Tested with the 40, and a miss is as good as a Mile as I've said before.

IMG_1951.JPG.0c5e53460b0e79a0add3fd1d98d86121.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG.a064b9a6fd81837502cb53ae59857a76.JPGIMG_1954.JPG.0a5dd8fdcc6753548d9fc8c209477b40.JPGIMG_1955.JPG.654f2d028cda1445eef8efc715f3ea0e.JPGIMG_1956.JPG.53f463b0cf50aabaeb0dbf97624d4c0e.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG.e77643efe9495c6069e5db6cd6a0c66d.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG.28871ad1b93ed2e0c269f7142de2ea50.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG.b22796567f2b2cbe082a912513e769e2.JPG

It is a shame you have only just kitted out the POD and now there are some very big mice about or is it Rats  :jester:

Looks good Andy

Our SMart meter was first put in a cupboard and has now beem swiched off. Marion said I don't want to start worrying about the meter and end up fightened to have a cuppa. It is there if we ever wanted to check. Suits me or I would be being told to turn the solding iron off.

Don

• Like 2
  • Funny 1