Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Andy a basic question, cos I don't know the answer what era are you diesel modelling please.

Are you using Rule No.1, I ask as I'm thinking of moving up the ages and move mainly if not all into diesel locos. 

Can you give me some idea of the loco spread steam to diesel per year ie 1970 was it 20% steam to 80% diesel.

Maybe I should do some google-ing. :blind::nea::maninlove:

Best

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

Andy a basic question, cos I don't know the answer what era are you diesel modelling please.

Are you using Rule No.1, I ask as I'm thinking of moving up the ages and move mainly if not all into diesel locos. 

Can you give me some idea of the loco spread steam to diesel per year ie 1970 was it 20% steam to 80% diesel.

Best

Depends on the area - steam finished in the UK in August 1968 on LMR.  I think on the GE it was 1962

Paul R

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Paul, I did a google and was surprised to find that diesel started to come into the UK railways from 1933 onwards.  My Liverpool days spent 'spotting late 50's to early 60's was all steam locos both for passenger and freight.  Maybe there were some 08D about but if so they were in yards not on any main lines.

Thanks

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, pwr said:

That's impressive Andy - raw power.

That would make a great video

Paul R

I agree about the Video Paul, but there just isn't the room at each end for a decent run, BUT, BUT, BUT I will try it out on the next Video, with some crafty editing I may be able to do something. 

WATCH THIS SPACE. haha.

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Best

TBH I know very little about the transission period, but my mate runs WR / SR Steam / Diesel and says its based about 1960 ish plus or minus a bit.

As for mine, it started out as late 80's, Blue Period, but now I'm into the 90's so shouldn't really mix the Cl 40 and 25 with Three Tone Grey 37 or Toothpaste 33, so I will either remove the oddballs for running sessions or operate Rule 1.

I hope this helps

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, gismorail said:

That's a cracking shot as above Andy looks like a nice long train and weathering looks very effective on the Class 56 :clapping_mini:

Hi Martin, I'm glad you like the  weathering on the Grid, because I DIDN'T DO IT, haha, I bought it like that from a Show in Manchester a couple of years back, and it was already Sound fitted as well.

• Funny 2

I had intended to model mid 60's to mid 70's while also abusing that era with big doses of Rule 1 but I may now need to slide everything up through the years a little just to make other diesels available.

Thanks for your FB.

• Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I had intended to model mid 60's to mid 70's while also abusing that era with big doses of Rule 1 but I may now need to slide everything up through the years a little just to make other diesels available.

Thanks for your FB.

Don't forget, early Diesels were ''D'' Numbered, a trap I fell into at the start.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Barnaby said:

ie 1970 was it 20% steam to 80% diesel.

By 1970 the ratio was 0 to 100 +/- the Flying Scotsman.

I was born in 1969 so missed steam but did do Hendrix and the moon thing, technically :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rule 1 works for me Andy!

If I ever take Notley out to a show I will run through the various eras from the 1950's to the early 1980's during the day.

The layout itself is supposed to be fixed to a 1958 mid summer date which will allow me to make posters for what's on at the Witham and Braintree cinemas and find a news headline for my new newspaper seller. Rule one however applies to the road vehicles most of which date from the 1960's!

Paul R

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, pwr said:

Rule 1 works for me Andy!

If I ever take Notley out to a show I will run through the various eras from the 1950's to the early 1980's during the day.

The layout itself is supposed to be fixed to a 1958 mid summer date which will allow me to make posters for what's on at the Witham and Braintree cinemas and find a news headline for my new newspaper seller. Rule one however applies to the road vehicles most of which date from the 1960's!

Paul R

Yes indeed Paul, Rule 1 wins very time.

When I had my OO Gauge Kings Moreton, that started out as Steam, then Steam / Diesel, then I went into the Blue Period, and it finally ran as a 90's with 3 Tone Grey etc. My problem then was that I had so much of everything, i.e. about 30 Steam Locos, most with Sound, a couple of dozen or more Diesels all with Sound, so come the end, I had to sell the Steam and early Diesels to fund the later stuff..

One day I'll learn and stick to one era.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

l have operated most of your big 00 gauge layouts you have built over the years and l must say you always did have an awful amount of stock covering most eras, the money we both have spent over the years.    FRIGHTNING     Hahahaha. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, georgeT said:

l have operated most of your big 00 gauge layouts you have built over the years and l must say you always did have an awful amount of stock covering most eras, the money we both have spent over the years.    FRIGHTNING     Hahahaha. 

Yeah, when I think about the amount we bought at some shows, coming away with 8 or more Locos sometimes, then when we got home, wondering why we had bought XYZ. haha:nono::banghead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I think most of us are guilty of having too much stock. 

I have managed to acquire kits for all the BR standard steam locos (almost) over the years, just because I like them despite many types not running into East Anglia. So Rule 1 applies. 

Hmm - How am I going to explain the presence of Duke of Gloucester on a diverted Clacton Interval!

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes indeed Paul, Rule 1 wins very time.

When I had my OO Gauge Kings Moreton, that started out as Steam, then Steam / Diesel, then I went into the Blue Period, and it finally ran as a 90's with 3 Tone Grey etc. My problem then was that I had so much of everything, i.e. about 30 Steam Locos, most with Sound, a couple of dozen or more Diesels all with Sound, so come the end, I had to sell the Steam and early Diesels to fund the later stuff..

One day I'll learn and stick to one era.

I get a lot of inspiration from all the Ian Allen colour books of the steam diesel cross over period but I've realised if you see two photos on consecutive pages, your brain sort of assumes they overlap but as little as a 3 or 4 year gap, especially round then, can make quite a big difference. When I came to pinning down a late 50s date I found some common locos and liveries that I felt typified the period never actually overlapped.

Obviously I do them anyway, just means hours of research was pointless!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

A very good morning in the POD and some work on Bench Road today.

I've made a start on the greenery.

So first off, a coating of neat PVA along the rear embankment and then a dusting of  the following.

IMG_3817.JPG.f818a16dc4d6cf7e086fe97fbda0555f.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG.e7e41cca541a28c37f4166a95674326e.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG.16f309a020468fac0acc5cee7ae64d8f.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG.1c5163fbc019cf1bb0715d3f6b8490c5.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG.28ce14f7c2e36fec2e525182f315e6f2.JPG

• Like 10

I've also put the first on MANY coats of PVA in for the River Bed, each coat must fully dry before the next one goes in, after a few, at probably one a day, I will add some rocks and weeds, plus some white streaks so make it look fast flowing.

IMG_3835.JPG.41fa7d5f57b710f5961e73b0e7519413.JPG

IMG_3836.JPG.177ff6fc23136caa073f795be8e2efb1.JPG

• Like 13

Looking good Andy

The only problem is what are you going to do now this is largely finished?

You've probably got enough room in there to do a T gauge layout - assuming you could see it of course!! I think I might struggle with my eyesight!

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Looking good Andy

The only problem is what are you going to do now this is largely finished?

You've probably got enough room in there to do a T gauge layout - assuming you could see it of course!! I think I might struggle with my eyesight!

Paul R

Still plenty to do young Paul, the front and middle bit, then some Static Grass in the Sidings etc.

Then its back to repair and Grass over the two Sidings that were originally the Fuel Roads, they will be Wagon Sidings a bit like below.

image.png.682f9a162bc32602a21f982be9481672.png

IMG_3772.JPG.5673bb02badf2b7f960c5fc468be514f.JPG

• Like 12