Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Good morning Andy enjoyed your new format and spotters notes very entertaining :clapping:....we are easy to please aren't we...:sungum: was only saying to my friend Trevor (Shedman) that it will be a year this month since we attended the Glasgow show and that for a second year running there's no York Show......who would have believed that such simple pleasures can be taken away from us by Chinese 'Bats' :scared: 

Whilst watching your video production it made me realise that even meeting up as friends / groups to have operating sessions and enjoy the normal banter between friends has been taken away from us. Got me thinking though maybe whilst we are under these restrictions maybe a 'Zoom' meeting is the way forward where different layouts could be operated to an invited audience and chat and banter could be resumed ...have to provide your own brews and cakes though :sungum:.... have to my sure my new railway shed has Wifi connections ....mind you I've never done a Zoom meeting personally so maybe getting ahead of myself :jester:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 minutes ago, shedman said:

My WiFi is so slow it struggles with Andy's videos. Sometimes I can only get 144P, which is very poor.  Shudder to think what Zoom would be like. Anyway, I've no webcam! Trevor

You need to get on the super highway Trev :crazy: 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, David Bell said:

Love the new format Andy. It certainly reminds me of my trips in the seventies and eighties chasing locomotives.

Let's face it ,if your model serves to bring up memories like that you have done well.

Keep them coming

Cheers

David

Thanks David, I certainly will keep doing some, but obviously movements and Stock are limited, so I'll try not to bore the pants off people. haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Hawkins said:

Jolly good show Mr Peters, already looking forward to video No 73, your videos are so good that they keep me out of my local pub !

Thanks Brian, but they should be forcing you into your Modelling Room, haha. More to come soon I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gismorail said:

Good morning Andy enjoyed your new format and spotters notes very entertaining :clapping:....we are easy to please aren't we...:sungum: was only saying to my friend Trevor (Shedman) that it will be a year this month since we attended the Glasgow show and that for a second year running there's no York Show......who would have believed that such simple pleasures can be taken away from us by Chinese 'Bats' :scared: 

Whilst watching your video production it made me realise that even meeting up as friends / groups to have operating sessions and enjoy the normal banter between friends has been taken away from us. Got me thinking though maybe whilst we are under these restrictions maybe a 'Zoom' meeting is the way forward where different layouts could be operated to an invited audience and chat and banter could be resumed ...have to provide your own brews and cakes though :sungum:.... have to my sure my new railway shed has Wifi connections ....mind you I've never done a Zoom meeting personally so maybe getting ahead of myself :jester:

Hi Martin, George and I were discussing our last Show, and for me it was the Fareham Show on 3rd Oct 2019 when I came down here to view a couple of properties.

No Stafford, and No Breakfasts since then.

Myself, George, @georgeT and a couple of others have a Zoom Club night on a Tuesday, it's really good, just sitting showing what we've been up to, as the others are O Gauge Loco Builders. Mark sets it up and sends us the E-Mail for the connection and its just like a proper club night without smelly bodies.:D.

It would be good if you, David @Jintyman, Craig @muddys-blues Trevor @shedman and myself and maybe some others to do the same, especially now during Lockdown and and being so far apart. 

Are you able to build any Kits, like Parkside etc, in your temporary digs?

All the best and keep planning for that BIG SHED.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hello Andy, the new video format was interesting.

I did like the new intro & endo making a good bookend to the middle composition of the railway.  I also would like the music to be louder with fade up and fade out .

I would prefer your comments to be from reference to your days "spotting" notes made on the day rather than the I wonder what happens next comments.   eg  in the title sequence show that the voice over was added later from your ref notes made on the day.

Comments like I wonder if the 08 is going to move oh yes it is are not necessary because as a viewer I can hear the locos engine, horn etc and see the movements.  let me be surprised.

It is a difficult balance to achieve but maybe a little less commentary and leave a little more for the viewer to see and hear could generate further discussions.

All in all an enjoyable watch of a days working at SMS leaving me anticipating the next Video.

I do like the suggested ZOOM idea too and maybe a GoPro  camera on a head band or a camera wagon........................

Best

That does read a little cold which is not how I mean it to be but be more as a suggestion.

Edited by Barnaby
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Speaking as someone who is starting out in O gauge with a shunting layout soon (ish)....

I know you are an advocate of using the DCC80 for polarity switching on OO gauge layouts - have you used them on here? Or is the 2 amp limit not enough?

I like the idea of using something like them and switching the points wire in the tube.

Regards,

James

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

I did like the new intro & endo making a good bookend to the middle composition of the railway.  I also would like the music to be louder with fade up and fade out .

I would prefer your comments to be from reference to your days "spotting" notes made on the day rather than the I wonder what happens next comments.   eg  in the title sequence show that the voice over was added later from your ref notes made on the day.

Comments like I wonder if the 08 is going to move oh yes it is are not necessary because as a viewer I can hear the locos engine, horn etc and see the movements.  let me be surprised.

It is a difficult balance to achieve but maybe a little less commentary and leave a little more for the viewer to see and hear could generate further discussions.

All in all an enjoyable watch of a days working at SMS leaving me anticipating the next Video.

I do like the suggested ZOOM idea too and maybe a GoPro  camera on a head band or a camera wagon........................

Best

That does read a little cold which is not how I mean it to be but be more as a suggestion.

Thanks for such a in depth review of your thoughts, and very useful that will be.

Not sure I can change the Volume of the Music, as the Master Intro is embedded for re use, but worth a look later before doing the next one. George, @georgeT said the same, so yes, worth looking at, for sure.

I never did any real spotting until theVERY LATE 80's and into the 90's when George and I would go to Eastleigh, but I only noted Numbers and Liveries, as that was a period when many changes were happening, BR Blue, Large Logo, NSE, Railfreight Red Stripe, Triple Grey, Loadhaul, Transrail and Mainline etc.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Best

And for fantastic Videoing, Check out Trenholme Junction in the Layouts section.

And Snowing.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Speaking as someone who is starting out in O gauge with a shunting layout soon (ish)....

I know you are an advocate of using the DCC80 for polarity switching on OO gauge layouts - have you used them on here? Or is the 2 amp limit not enough?

I like the idea of using something like them and switching the points wire in the tube.

Regards,

James

Hi James, My DCC80's are on all my Points both on Seven Mills and Bench Road.

i.e.

With Slow motion motors,

With Peco Solenoid motors,

And with Wire in tube levers.

My controllers are the Gaugemaster Prodigy 2, and the ACE SignaTrack. and both are fine.

If in doubt, a call to Gaugemaster will find them very helpful I'm sure, (no connection, just a satisfied customer). 

Good luck and all the best.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 34006 said:

The DMU video...........very,very clever.I like it, a lot.

atb

Phil

It is a massive Layout, I think its about 80ft x about 18ft, and on two levels. I see on some he even has moving clouds now, and his Loco, Wagon and Coaching Stock is massive.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

Loved the video Andy. Hope the bramble bushes didn't scratch you too much!

Paul

Cheers Paul, I remember George and I scrambling through many bushes and brambles on some of our days out, hahha.

• Like 2