Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Another possible advantage of removing one motor from a two motor Heljan locomotive could be that you then have a spare set of gears if any of the ones on the still powered bogie fail. This affects older Heljans more than newer ones and can be handy if supplies of Heljan spares are held up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, andyram said:

Another great pic Andy. Looking forward to more videos. 

Thanks Andy, I'm still working on the Videos.

I have No's 75 to 81 to finish editing and then they will be up loaded on to You Tube, one at a time every few days, so I have about 6 or 7 weeks worth and some things will be quite a bit different in a couple so far.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks Andy, I'm still working on the Videos.

I have No's 75 to 81 to finish editing and then they will be up loaded on to You Tube, one at a time every few days, so I have about 6 or 7 weeks worth and some things will be quite a bit different in a couple so far.

I will look forward to them. Good to see you enjoying running this one.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

On 20/02/2021 at 08:10, Andrew P said:

Hi APT Fan ? and Thanks Rich, Rich is absolutely right, IMHO Heljan are over engineered in the Motor dept, so to save almost £70 per Chip per Loco simply remove one Motor and use an OO Chip. Examples on my Layout are the pair of 20's, both 25's, both Large Logo 37's and the 47. Also one added bonus is that it gives you spare gears for future use should any split.

I've heard a tale of a Motor being removed from a single 20, and it still pulled about 6 or so Heljan Mk1 Coaches around a big Layout, so more than enough power for my small and simple Yard etc which is mainly light Engine or a couple of Wagons.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

I assume the 20s are consisted? Is there any setup involved to get them to run together? Do the twin motor loco's need decoder with two DC outputs?

5 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Thanks,

I assume the 20s are consisted? Is there any setup involved to get them to run together? Do the twin motor loco's need decoder with two DC outputs?

The 20 are set up as a pair at the same code, but one set in revers. so nice and easy, If I want to run them individually I need to take the other off the Layout. 

For twin Motors they are wired the same as single motors into the same connector, but revers the wire from one end. Simple enough to do.

This was for the 33's that still have 2 Motors each.

1669334838_Zimo696AdapterBoardHeljan33.jpg.367181e99dbafeb4df9728e7fd5fdf5d.jpg

UIMG_1988.JPG.4866c7116696851a870583cd8232807c.JPG

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The 20 are set up as a pair at the same code, but one set in revers. so nice and easy, If I want to run them individually I need to take the other off the Layout. 

For twin Motors they are wired the same as single motors into the same connector, but revers the wire from one end. Simple enough to do.

This was for the 33's that still have 2 Motors each.

UIMG_1988.JPG.4866c7116696851a870583cd8232807c.JPG

The first thing I do when opening the packet containing one of these Zimo decoders is to mark the four corners on one side - e.g. the four corners visible above - with a black felt tip pen so that I know which way round to put the decoder should I separate the two - as you have to to fit the wiring.

That said, I've occasionally had one arrive when the decoder has been mounted the wrong way round in the adapter.

• Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, Ray H said:

The first thing I do when opening the packet containing one of these Zimo decoders is to mark the four corners on one side - e.g. the four corners visible above - with a black felt tip pen so that I know which way round to put the decoder should I separate the two - as you have to to fit the wiring.

That said, I've occasionally had one arrive when the decoder has been mounted the wrong way round in the adapter.

Paul has always taken mine apart and marked the two circles of the gubbinsey bits on one side to line up with the other.

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Paul, I love em too, a real sense of size and weight.

Yes I think its something you don't see very often in smaller scales  - mostly when you see hand built track that said!

Paul R

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Looks good Andy and like the latest videos, how's things with you?

Hi Ian, Yes Good thanks, I've done some filming over the last few days, and have several Videos ready to up load to You Tube once I've finished all the editing. More pics and Vids to come.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

An Un Edited shot for today, I couldn't be bothered to cut out the background on this one.

08 No 08173 in the Goods Loop, with 33012 behind.

ADSCF4658.JPG.d58d435168b6f78ea7449f25b87abc2e.JPG

A Dapol 08? I really like the look of those, the detailing on them looks great. I've been put off by a couple of reviews questioning the quality, basically parts start to fall off them even before they've been taken out of the box. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, APT Fan said:

A Dapol 08? I really like the look of those, the detailing on them looks great. I've been put off by a couple of reviews questioning the quality, basically parts start to fall off them even before they've been taken out of the box. 

Most strange, I thought  and still think the quality to be fine. I've had no issues, maybe I've just been very lucky, but they survived the House move last May and and get used in almost every running session.

I would recommend them from my own personal experience.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

I am a little baffled by that review unless something has changed in recent months. I have had six of them at different times, in green and blue, all have been perfect, nothing fell off and the detail and running quality of the Dapol model is superb.  I'd agree with Andy, for the money they cost, under £200, I'd say go for it if you can afford it and if you want sound and a realistic driving experience, I whole-heartedly endorse the Paul Chetter sound project as (in my opinion) being the best out there.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1