Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Well a very busy morning, I made a start on the Marker light box on the Sector 37, and will order new numbers tomorrow thanks to Ian / @47606odin.

I then decided the Brake Van wasn't right, I added a small drop of Humbrol 62, Leather to the Lime Yellow to warm up the colour a little and give it some depth and then re did the Brake.

So much better now, and well worth doing.

DSCF4014.JPG.3575ea83aa04dac81680121e3aded1bd.JPG

DSCF4015.JPG.a3667c473482f5267d2c58cf80edb28a.JPG

DSCF4017.JPG.36e7cb83a8f53e307180425f7fef94e4.JPG

• Like 16

Just now, Andrew P said:

Thanks Al, Yes it was a bit insipid, and even when weathered would have been to light I think.

Definitely, with a bit of weathering it'll blend in nicely with your Dutch 33 and turbots. Good luck with the turbots, Ian's videos are invaluable, they're good fun too. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, georgeT said:

The kit is etched brass and is far from easy buddy....

Cheers mate, I was looking for a modern Air Braked Wagon Kit a bit like Rudd, Clam, OBA, OCA, etc in a Slaters or Parkside, but hey ho, not to be.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers mate, I was looking for a modern Air Braked Wagon Kit a bit like Rudd, Clam, OBA, OCA, etc in a Slaters or Parkside, but hey ho, not to be.

I think J and M Hughes and GJH Plant both do some resin modern types?

Example here:

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

Some Grampus were fitted with air brakes and re-coded Rudd. Most Rudds were new bodies on HTV chassis, some details here:

https://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_045.php

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ruddclam

Parkside make kits for Grampus and 21-ton hoppers like HTV, which might be a starting point?

The air-braked Grampus would make a nice model. 

But for Eastleigh, container flats would never be out of place? 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Some Grampus were fitted with air brakes and re-coded Rudd. Most Rudds were new bodies on HTV chassis, some details here:

Parkside make kits for Grampus and 21-ton hoppers like HTV, which might be a starting point?

eastligh had lots of traffic, so PGA hoppers for wool sand, box vans for China clay from furzebrook, gas tanks too, fuel tanks from Fawley, mod traffic from marchwood and Ludgershall, ballast trains, stone trains for botley and fareham ....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I think J and M Hughes and GJH Plant both do some resin modern types?

Example here:

Cheers mate, another one I've not heard of so will need checking out later. thanks.:good:

33 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Yes Mol, I think the Grampus is the sort of size I'm looking for, and I do remember some in Dutch Livery which would work just fine. Cheers.:good:

Container Flats would be to big for the Layout I think.

Edited by Andrew P

10 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

eastligh had lots of traffic, so PGA hoppers for wool sand, box vans for China clay from furzebrook, gas tanks too, fuel tanks from Fawley, mod traffic from marchwood and Ludgershall, ballast trains, stone trains for botley and fareham ....

Yeah, I remember when George, @georgeT and I would go there, there was always something different to see in the Yard or just passing through, so some nice ideas there Ian, cheers.:good:.

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Has anyone built a PMRP OCA Kit, is it plastic or Brass, and is it fairly simple?

image.png.9ee5b11bc3a28bd52cea8e0b5c7aedaa.png

As it happens Andy I built one many years ago when it was held by RJH.

OCA-1.jpg.8455fc927ff4ef1ee78299bbf5b5187c.jpg

As etched kits go its not at all bad however ease of construction is all relative. I would not recommend to those with limited experience as some folding and fettling is required but it does come out well. Its compensated although after many years of sitting in a display cabinet its stuck and I need to sort it out as it runs with a pronounced dip at one end!

I also built the VGA in the PMRMP range, again when it was an RJH kit but it was riddled with flaws and I had to correct these with extra bits.

One thing potential buyers need to be aware of is that the instructions for these kits are relatively scant, some might say poor, and you need plenty of prototype pictures to build them properly. As I said earlier definitely not for the faint hearted or those with limited experience but I am pleased enough with the results and I am quite happy with my under construction BAA and FFA/FGA kits that come from the same stable.

Paul R

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, pwr said:

As it happens Andy I built one many years ago when it was held by RJH.

OCA-1.jpg.8455fc927ff4ef1ee78299bbf5b5187c.jpg

As etched kits go its not at all bad however ease of construction is all relative. I would not recommend to those with limited experience as some folding and fettling is required but it does come out well. Its compensated although after many years of sitting in a display cabinet its stuck and I need to sort it out as it runs with a pronounced dip at one end!

I also built the VGA in the PMRMP range, again when it was an RJH kit but it was riddled with flaws and I had to correct these with extra bits.

One thing potential buyers need to be aware of is that the instructions for these kits are relatively scant, some might say poor, and you need plenty of prototype pictures to build them properly. As I said earlier definitely not for the faint hearted or those with limited experience but I am pleased enough with the results and I am quite happy with my under construction BAA and FFA/FGA kits that come from the same stable.

Paul R

Cheers Paul, Great information so thanks for that. I won't be tackling any Brass Kits, I'm not into that sort of thing, but I've done Parkside Grampus before, along with many of their kits so that will be a start.

Thanks again for the post and info, and your OCA looks superb.