Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Just looking at the pic above and it looks like the Oil Tank is Ghosting through the Catfish, but it is pure coincidence.

341732614_UIMG_2770-Copy.JPG.ff846ab1259d4052766442b2d9c5e9b6.JPG

1165236964_UIMG_2770-Copy.JPG.0ad5849ff750ca46fe42ca6a7b6a121e.JPG

Cool bit of trick photography although I did wonder if it was a prototype transparent catfish as a method of knowing how full it was :jester:

• Funny 2

Yes Andy and DB's comment too, adding some limited scenic detail to the fiddle yard seems like a very good idea to me.

I'm considering adding a "to be" viewed pivoting traverser to allow me to do a run around and that gives me some food for thought.

My build is to have some high walls surrounding the fiddle yard to keep it hidden but I'm taken with having it all on show as in the earlier post above.

What I would like to do is allow the fiddle yard traverser to pivot such that it will connect to a line that presently runs in front of the fiddle yard; some hedging between the tracks could make this work

Sketching pad ready.

Drafting pencil ready.

Rogue ideas remover [eraser] ready.

Cuppa not yet ready :(

Best

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Yes Andy and DB's comment too, adding some limited scenic detail to the fiddle yard seems like a very good idea to me.

I'm considering adding a "to be" viewed pivoting traverser to allow me to do a run around and that gives me some food for thought.

My build is to have some high walls surrounding the fiddle yard to keep it hidden but I'm taken with having it all on show as in the earlier post above.

What I would like to do is allow the fiddle yard traverser to pivot such that it will connect to a line that presently runs in front of the fiddle yard; some hedging between the tracks could make this work

Sketching pad ready.

Drafting pencil ready.

Rogue ideas remover [eraser] ready.

Cuppa not yet ready :(

Best

A man after my own heart. but two Cuppas and a biscuit, haha.:good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, pwr said:

Sorry I meant how do you find it as a model! Does it run well?

Paul R

The BEST running Wagon Model that I've ever had.

Extremely heavy, with a compartment underneath to add further weight if required. 

I would like a 2nd one, but funds won't allow at the moment.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

I see they still have plenty in stock Andy, with other retailers selling them too.

Yes, I saw that last night, as I just said to Paul, I would like another one, but funds won't allow at the moment Julian. I alaso need to sort out a decent load for mine at some point.

• RMweb Gold

There isn't an awful lot out there in 1/43 scale. There are a few landies from Oxford and Corgi or Dinky did an RL but it isn't really up to scratch and they were on the way out then being replaced by the MK. There is a 25 pounder and quad but it's out of era and not really up to much. The RA were still doing initial gunnery training with 25 pounders in the 70's but they used landies to pull them then and there is a lot of work to do to get them into the condition they were in back in the 70's. The ones you can get in 1/43rd are in 40's condition and have a Quad and limber. They did do a Thunderbird and an Honest John but they are very hard to come by and once again not really up to scratch. Same with the Saladin and Sarisan's. They too would take a lot of work to make them usable, although you could put them under a tarp. Everything else is wildly inappropriate for this era. Lots of WWII stuff but it's either septic, German, French or Soviet. If you can overlook the fact that it's all quite a bit too small there is a lot of 1/48th stuff but as I say it's all too small.

Regards Lez.  

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/09/2020 at 07:18, Andrew P said:

A walk down to Seven Mills

I thought you lived in a bungalow... :-)

As regards a load for the Warwell, I’m not sure in your case it should be loaded. The MOD would hardly have allowed military hardware to be shunted or stabled in an open yard, it would have been moved from site to site as the need required. So unloaded is more prototypical to me. And the money saved can go towards another ....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, lezz01 said:

There isn't an awful lot out there in 1/43 scale. There are a few landies from Oxford and Corgi or Dinky did an RL but it isn't really up to scratch and they were on the way out then being replaced by the MK. There is a 25 pounder and quad but it's out of era and not really up to much. The RA were still doing initial gunnery training with 25 pounders in the 70's but they used landies to pull them then and there is a lot of work to do to get them into the condition they were in back in the 70's. The ones you can get in 1/43rd are in 40's condition and have a Quad and limber. They did do a Thunderbird and an Honest John but they are very hard to come by and once again not really up to scratch. Same with the Saladin and Sarisan's. They too would take a lot of work to make them usable, although you could put them under a tarp. Everything else is wildly inappropriate for this era. Lots of WWII stuff but it's either septic, German, French or Soviet. If you can overlook the fact that it's all quite a bit too small there is a lot of 1/48th stuff but as I say it's all too small.

Regards Lez.  

Cheers for that Lez, I'll probably end up with a lump, covered in masking tape and string, spray it a dirty brown and see how that looks, It could then be a generator, Aero Engine or just a crate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

I thought you lived in a bungalow... :-)

As regards a load for the Warwell, I’m not sure in your case it should be loaded. The MOD would hardly have allowed military hardware to be shunted or stabled in an open yard, it would have been moved from site to site as the need required. So unloaded is more prototypical to me. And the money saved can go towards another ....

I LIKE,

I DO LIKE,

I DO LIKE A LOT.

:good:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

That's not true I'm afraid. We used to move by train at least once a year when I was stationed in W. Germany in the 80's and if we came back after dark we used to leave everything on the train in the goods yard until the next day. Yes we used to leave a guard on the train but it was still in the open yard and we didn't patrol as there were still train movements going on through the night. I can't speak for what happened in BR yards but they certainly left loaded stock in the yards overnight on the Deutsche Bahn and I'm talking proper kit too not just MKs and landies.

Regards Lez.     

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

That's not true I'm afraid. We used to move by train at least once a year when I was stationed in W. Germany in the 80's and if we came back after dark we used to leave everything on the train in the goods yard until the next day. Yes we used to leave a guard on the train but it was still in the open yard and we didn't patrol as there were still train movements going on through the night. I can't speak for what happened in BR yards but they certainly left loaded stock in the yards overnight on the Deutsche Bahn and I'm talking proper kit too not just MKs and landies.

Regards Lez.     

Thanks Lez, interesting info as always.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Andy,

As a matter of interest I can only recall only ever using a train once when I was in West Germany as it was in the 1980’s.

Thats mainly because as we were The Royal Hussars (PWO) an armoured regiment, Antars were predominantly used. Even then, due to cut backs and savings there were mileage restrictions imposed on us, as track was so expensive to replace so the only driving done was on exercise on soft ground.

On the one occasion we did use trains the train took us to Fallingbostel sidings, the Chieftains were unloaded and driven the short distance to the barracks.

We were, as with Chieftain, the first regiment to receive Challenger, these were never left in yards outside barracks due to the secrecy of the chobham armour used.

The Russians frequently sent there blacked out cars to photograph our tanks, very naughty!   :nono:

• Informative/Useful 3