Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Having collected the old Pen Backscene from Chris this morning, it was fitted along the Window / Countryside side of the Layout.

Before taking Pen, Chris asked if the Mountain could be removed and some rolling hills put in it's place. This I did by gently scraping off some Mountain, re doing the Sky, and then re doing the distant Hills. I then forgot to photograph the results, but now I can show how it came out.

BEFORE.

post-9335-0-36188100-1537794314_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-46335400-1537794344.jpg

AND NOW.

post-9335-0-10060800-1537805499_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-81943800-1537805561_thumb.jpg

I also have to re do several bits including where it will meet the Road Bridge etc.

post-9335-0-37449200-1537794503_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-19055800-1537794555_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-36188100-1537794314_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-46335400-1537794344.jpg

post-9335-0-37449200-1537794503_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-19055800-1537794555_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-10060800-1537805499_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-81943800-1537805561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

Are you on dial up?

10 minutes???? :O

I must be using the wrong settings or the wrong coal in the boiler. :no:

EDIT = 11.48, and still only 50% done so I have cancelled it and given up.

Normally it 5 hours max for a 10 minute Video but it's now been running for 10 Hours so far for only 50% is ridicules.

Are you on dial up?  Actually dial up is faster than this, have you sent it my mail to Silicon Valley  :jester:

Are you on dial up?

Are you on dial up?  Actually dial up is faster than this, have you sent it my mail to Silicon Valley  :jester:

Wi Fi from my Lap Top, same settings etc as I've used for the previous 60 PLUS for Kings Moreton and Pen etc.

I could have taken the Train to Silicon Valley and delivered it quicker, hahaha

Andy, time to try Handbrake compression before uploading as I suggested a while ago. Your stuff is too good to miss out on, give it a go.

Colin

I never could find anything that said Handbrake Compression, what is it, and where would I find it please?

• RMweb Gold

I would expect at least 2 to 3 MB/sec for a decent Broadband service  so for a 400MB file say 200sec time while actually downloading Allowing for other things happening while its downloading the time to download end to end would be greater probably 10 to 15 . Even for a basic Internet  service it shouldn't take more than an hour or two. 

The could be a dodgey connection so it is continually having to resend bits. However that would also show on downloading. What it is like normally does it slow if there are photos in posts? Who is your supplier?

Don

Might be worth checking what BT could offer. If the lines there are poor BT will offer a low speed. Try looking at BT.com or PM me your postcode.

Edited by Donw

I never could find anything that said Handbrake Compression, what is it, and where would I find it please?

Hi Andy,

here:

https://handbrake.fr/

download to laptop and install, its pretty straight forward. Then open a video and choose your compression ratio. You may recall I sent you a link to a shinkansen video I'd compressed.

Using Handbrake you compress before uploading, should shorten upload times a fair bit,

Colin

I would expect at least 2 to 3 MB/sec for a decent Broadband service  so for a 400MB file say 200sec time while actually downloading Allowing for other things happening while its downloading the time to download end to end would be greater probably 10 to 15 . Even for a basic Internet  service it shouldn't take more than an hour or two. 

The could be a dodgey connection so it is continually having to resend bits. However that would also show on downloading. What it is like normally does it slow if there are photos in posts? Who is your supplier?

Don

Might be worth checking what BT could offer. If the lines there are poor BT will offer a low speed. Try looking at BT.com or PM me your postcode.

We were with BT until about 5 years  ago when we switched to Utility Warehouse, so it's through a BT Landline still.

Hi Andy,

here:

https://handbrake.fr/

download to laptop and install, its pretty straight forward. Then open a video and choose your compression ratio. You may recall I sent you a link to a shinkansen video I'd compressed.

Using Handbrake you compress before uploading, should shorten upload times a fair bit,

Colin

Thanks Colin, can't say I remember seeing this before, though.

It is now downloaded so what do I do now?

Andy while compression will help your BB is very slow.

Try this https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx  and if your BB speed is not comparable with what you were quoted get on to your BB provider and give them the problem.

Best

EDIT this is BT's own checker and may be better for you >>> http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Edited by Barnaby

Thanks Colin, can't say I remember seeing this before, though.

It is now downloaded so what do I do now?

I've PM'd you and will email once I get the screen prints saved :)

will be bit later on, incoming family members ahead.

email now sent!

Edited by BWsTrains

Andy while compression will help your BB is very slow.

Try this https://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/broadband_speed_in_my_area_v2.aspx  and if your BB speed is not comparable with what you were quoted get on to your BB provider and give them the problem.

Best

Thanks Barnaby, it's the same as I've had since we moved here over 4 years ago, and done all the other Videos with no problem. Can't understand it.

The BT checker I show in my edit above is very quick and simple to use.  I would think you should be getting an upload of at least 8Mbps or something is quenching your feed.

It says I have a Flash Player Error, so can't be tested.

You certainly have an issue Andy, I have fibre BB here and a 15 minute video takes about 20 minutes, and that's whilst other people in the household are using it for Netflix, PS4, Smartphones, etc.

I'm with Sky and I've never had an issue (apart from the bill which I've just had reduced by about 20% as I threatened to leave!!!) with buffering or with streaming films through Netflix or LoveFilm, and with PS4's and 3's on the go, yes that is download, but all this can carry on whilst I upload a 15 min video in about 20mins!!!

Change provider, get yourself a better deal, Plusnet is supposed to be quite good as well!

Jinty ;)

You certainly have an issue Andy, I have fibre BB here and a 15 minute video takes about 20 minutes, and that's whilst other people in the household are using it for Netflix, PS4, Smartphones, etc.

I'm with Sky and I've never had an issue (apart from the bill which I've just had reduced by about 20% as I threatened to leave!!!) with buffering or with streaming films through Netflix or LoveFilm, and with PS4's and 3's on the go, yes that is download, but all this can carry on whilst I upload a 15 min video in about 20mins!!!

Change provider, get yourself a better deal, Plusnet is supposed to be quite good as well!

Jinty ;)

Not sure what Netflex does but we have all our Gas / Elec / Land Line and Mobiles from Utility Warehouse, so just one Bill each quater and it's saved us about £400 a year, and we have been with them for over 5 years, and great service, but I've never had a slow, (well this S L O W) an issue before.

It must be something in the water. :no:

• RMweb Gold

Jinty ;)

When you say Fibre do you mean fibre right to the house or the more common fibre to the cabinet on the roadside then on the copper line to the house.  Our cabinet is five mins walk up the road and then comes on the copper to the house we get about 50MB/s . Unless you are on cable you are unlikely to get a better speed than BT offer.

Don

When you say Fibre do you mean fibre right to the house or the more common fibre to the cabinet on the roadside then on the copper line to the house.  Our cabinet is five mins walk up the road and then comes on the copper to the house we get about 50MB/s . Unless you are on cable you are unlikely to get a better speed than BT offer.

Don

Not sure Don,

But we get around 50Mbps download, not sure what our upload is. 

The unit in the house is a BT Openreach unit prior to the Sky router, so would say that it is still a BT line in.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Andy

I use my iphone to record 'Ayr Road' and then use a program call 'slimmer' which will reduce the video size by over half without losing too much quality. I'm sure you can get a similar program if you use an android phone like Samsung etc. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to upload a similar length video to you tube.

Jim   

Andy

I use my iphone to record 'Ayr Road' and then use a program call 'slimmer' which will reduce the video size by over half without losing too much quality. I'm sure you can get a similar program if you use an android phone like Samsung etc. It usually takes me about 20 minutes to upload a similar length video to you tube.

Jim   

Thanks Jim, sounds like Slimmer is like Handbrake and half's the size but keeps the quality.

Cheers for the info.