Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

1 minute ago, andyram said:

That looks a bit suspicious to me. I hope what ever he is holding does not have any smell of chloroform! With the dark glasses, he looks very sleazy! I would not be surprised to see the Old Bill turning up at Seven Mills tomorrow!

Any thing is possible at Seven Mills, and today a big surprise for the Staff. 

A new 08,

IMG_4518.JPG.2141a1b9b45a76697e25be632570f6e3.JPG

• Like 13

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

Any thing is possible at Seven Mills, and today a big surprise for the Staff. 

A new 08,

IMG_4518.JPG.2141a1b9b45a76697e25be632570f6e3.JPG

Very nice, although sad to see the heritage one leaving the fleet. I finally watched the latest video last night too. Very good again (although were you slightly out of focus in the introduction?) Could have been my eyes - I tend to watch them just before bed - and no they are not a cure for insomnia, they are a perfect way to wind down with a drink. Enjoyed it again.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, pwr said:

You really are modernising the fleet Andy.

Those Turbots look impressive to me but too modern for my time frame.

Paul R

Cheers Paul, I just wish there was a lot more RTR in O. Looking at the Dapol wagon range of 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, plank wagons in almost every livery known to man, they must surly have reach saturation point by now, and with the likes of, OBA, OCA, PNA, Clam, Rudd, Tope, Seacow, Sealion, Whale, Shark, MFA, MEA, SAA, CDA, VGA, FEA, and many more, there just has to be a market now for more RTR Wagons with all the modern Locos now available, and not to mention their own 66 due out soon. 

• Like 3

Several of these are available as kits.

From time to time some manufacturers ask for suggestions but they don't go any further.

I was hoping accurascale would add to their hopper range, but nothing as yet.

It's all very well churning out loco after loco but if they have little to pull...

I guess air brake stock is a niche market in what is still seen as a niche scale.

Paul

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, andyram said:

That looks a bit suspicious to me. I hope what ever he is holding does not have any smell of chloroform! With the dark glasses, he looks very sleazy! I would not be surprised to see the Old Bill turning up at Seven Mills tomorrow!

I've reckon it's Lazy Joe on a day off with some old slapper or maybe a blow up doll :sungum:

• Funny 5

24 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

Several of these are available as kits.

From time to time some manufacturers ask for suggestions but they don't go any further.

I was hoping accurascale would add to their hopper range, but nothing as yet.

It's all very well churning out loco after loco but if they have little to pull...

I guess air brake stock is a niche market in what is still seen as a niche scale.

Paul

Yeah, Do they not realise that some people are not Kit Builders, and just enjoy buying RTR, even if sometimes it means paying a small premium.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, gismorail said:

I've reckon it's Lazy Joe on a day off with some old slapper or maybe a blow up doll :sungum:

Behave Martin, you obviously have far to much time on your hands now, :haha:,

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Yeah, Do they not realise that some people are not Kit Builders, and just enjoy buying RTR, even if sometimes it means paying a small premium.

I think its quite a big premium. The main cost is the tooling which isnt going to be massively cheaper just because its a wagon not a loco. But punters aren't going to pay anything like loco prices. So they have to be certain to shift very high volumes - hence preference for wagons that could be both grouping and BR. Or private owners in loads of liveries which is a fairly cheap way to get more from the tooling. Minerva have said a GWR toad isn't even viable (although I still find that hard to believe!).

What people model seems to be shifting forwards. It used to be GWR branches, then BR western became very popular and now BR blue and later is spreading so may be more demand for air braked now.

Seems unlikely in 30 years everyone will just want multiple units and maybe a token 66 though?!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Behave Martin, you obviously have far to much time on your hands now, :haha:,

Heavens above - and I thought the comments on my thread were getting a bit risque!

Agree with you about kits and RTR, Andy. I enjoy building kits but they're not a priority as there are a lot of other things that take up time.

Good to see you are keeping yourself busy with livery and fleet changes.

Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

A TTA tank wagon in the number of liveries they come in must surely be viable. 

Carefully done to allow for variants.

Paul

Spot on with the TTA's, how many liveries have there been over the years?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Heavens above - and I thought the comments on my thread were getting a bit risque!

Agree with you about kits and RTR, Andy. I enjoy building kits but they're not a priority as there are a lot of other things that take up time.

Good to see you are keeping yourself busy with livery and fleet changes.

Jeff

Cheers Jeff, Yes now that the Layout is not going to the cutters torch just yet, it needed injecting with some new life form.

My threads are normally tame compared to yours young man:laugh:

As has been mentioned the tooling for a wagon seems to be not that far off a loco so the margins are already tight. Just looking at the Heljan wagons that have been produced, they took an awful long time to sell through, the EWS VAA's we're even discounted to a silly price in the end just to clear them out. I believe there has been talk of some re-runs of the more popular items, Dogfish for example but no talk that I know of about new wagons. But will people pay the money though? The dogfish and Catfish had an RRP of  £100 discounted to about £80, I can't see them even discounted under £100 if they're re-run. Dapols Dutch Turbots seem to have done well, but again the EWS ones are still readily available although they are a good price.

I think we will all just have to wait and see what appears. For now there are some relatively simple kits out there to get started on kit building. Until the last couple of years I had done very little but seem to be having a go at more and more complicated items! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Paul, I just wish there was a lot more RTR in O. Looking at the Dapol wagon range of 1,2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, plank wagons in almost every livery known to man, they must surly have reach saturation point by now, and with the likes of, OBA, OCA, PNA, Clam, Rudd, Tope, Seacow, Sealion, Whale, Shark, MFA, MEA, SAA, CDA, VGA, FEA, and many more, there just has to be a market now for more RTR Wagons with all the modern Locos now available, and not to mention their own 66 due out soon. 

With you there Andy. 

I think the smaller wagons would sell well and we do have the HEA and VEA in both Railfreight Brown and Red/grey liveries coming. I also agree the TTA would make a great model.  VGA too. Some bogie wagons would be great but they would be too big for many smaller layouts and tendered to be built in smaller numbers making them less common and perhaps less popular. Having said that the sheer volume of these available in the smaller scales seems to infer demand is there.

Paul R

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Cheers Jeff, Yes now that the Layout is not going to the cutters torch just yet, it needed injecting with some new life form.

My threads are normally tame compared to yours young man:laugh:

Just don't mention the green mankini, or the "Last Post"!!

And I know we both love building layouts, but when it comes down to it I think we just like to play. I get the impression that that's Clive's philosophy!

J.

• Like 2

I think one of the challenges for a manufacturer is that many modellers (especially the more vocal ones) now have very high expectations of accuracy.

This means that making one TTA model and selling it in lots of liveries will invite derision. Yes, there were lots of TTAs but also there was wide variation in tank shape, ladder position, suspension type, filler detail, buffer type and a host of other minor details. To get each individual one right demands a huge amount of research and a host of alternative parts. The same is true of most modern wagons. 

In contrast, a kit builder expects to have to change smaller details to suit their chosen prototype. 

Most modern freight trains are too long for most people to model

accurately in O, but depot layouts are popular so things like TTAs and engineers’ wagons are more likely to succeed than container flats or aggregate hoppers. 

Has there been an SPA yet? That would be an obvious one to follow the existing BR designs, and many went into engineers’ use. How about a BDA which is a re-bogied older wagon, could appeal to two markets, and the more modern bogies could then be the basis for other types. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Are you going to invest in a 66 when it becomes available Andy? Looks a really good price. I haven't been a massive fan of it in the past but I must admit that it is growing on me, especially in that large logo livery.

Edited by APT Fan
  • Like 1

One wonders how far they will go with the retro liveries on full size 66s. Will we see one in red-stripe Railfreight or banger blue? There’s already one in BR express steam loco green, but how about the black and silver used on BR’s early diesels? Or LNER Thompson-style false wood grain to give that genuine garden shed appearance! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D6775 said:

As has been mentioned the tooling for a wagon seems to be not that far off a loco so the margins are already tight. Just looking at the Heljan wagons that have been produced, they took an awful long time to sell through, the EWS VAA's we're even discounted to a silly price in the end just to clear them out. I believe there has been talk of some re-runs of the more popular items, Dogfish for example but no talk that I know of about new wagons. But will people pay the money though? The dogfish and Catfish had an RRP of  £100 discounted to about £80, I can't see them even discounted under £100 if they're re-run. Dapols Dutch Turbots seem to have done well, but again the EWS ones are still readily available although they are a good price.

I think we will all just have to wait and see what appears. For now there are some relatively simple kits out there to get started on kit building. Until the last couple of years I had done very little but seem to be having a go at more and more complicated items! 

Yes Al, I was looking for something very simple, almost requiring no paint other than maybe a grey / Yellow Engineering etc. I've got no interest in anything that involves Brass. I have 3 of the Dutch Turbots now.

31 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Are you going to invest in a 66 when it becomes available Andy? Looks a really good price. I haven't been a massive fan of it in the past but I must admit that it is growing on me, especially in that large logo livery.

Its very unlikely that I will go for the 66, but never say never, if I di it would have to be EWS, as the Heritage liveries are far to new for SMS.

6 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

One wonders how far they will go with the retro liveries on full size 66s. Will we see one in red-stripe Railfreight or banger blue? There’s already one in BR express steam loco green, but how about the black and silver used on BR’s early diesels? Or LNER Thompson-style false wood grain to give that genuine garden shed appearance! 

I don't like the Blue Large Logo, but I do like the new Sector 3 tone grey, that livery has some great potential I think. 

3 hours ago, pwr said:

With you there Andy. 

I think the smaller wagons would sell well and we do have the HEA and VEA in both Railfreight Brown and Red/grey liveries coming. I also agree the TTA would make a great model.  VGA too. Some bogie wagons would be great but they would be too big for many smaller layouts and tendered to be built in smaller numbers making them less common and perhaps less popular. Having said that the sheer volume of these available in the smaller scales seems to infer demand is there.

Paul R

I could certainly do with another couple of ESSO TTA's