Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Andrew P said:

After the dash down Souf on Wednesday evening, and then the journey home last night, and arriving home in the early hours of this morning, I decided to have a quiet day.

The 3 Autofrogs arrived yesterday, so this morning I up ended the two main boards and I've been able to fit them, complete the wiring and have test with the 08. Then before retiring for Lunch and kip in minute I put the Stock back on the Layout and took a few pics.

It does look a bit over crowded at the moment, but that will change once I send some to the Fiddle Yard and make some more Cards up for a shuffling  Shunting Sequence.

IMG_1092.JPG.ec32880e8be203936f8d5f10cd00f7b1.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG.cde2ebd5a639de78666ee52971acc4d1.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG.68a0ed5511602bbd20b0da2c61080333.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG.952e317db4232a6de8e76b6883027145.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG.d13e60aa9b655397610ecc68d423ad82.JPG

A quiet day sounds pretty busy to me. Great news about the sale

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Donw said:

A quiet day sounds pretty busy to me. Great news about the sale

Cheers Don, I'm orfff back down Souf again in the morning to look at another property on Monday.

Staying at Eastleigh this time, so may get some time on the Platform.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A quick pic before I hit the Road to Amp Sher.

I have half of Argyle Street in the Car ready to deliver to a chap at Newbury Services later this morning.

He is the same chap that bought me Kingsmill TMD and is picking up the other half next weekend.

IMG_1117.JPG.9f0d2b6b5f6b846cffcf2dad9ce81799.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi All, Back home lunchtime today from paddling in the Solent, notice I said PADDLING and not Piddling. :P

Over the last couple of days I've viewed several more Bungalows between Waterlooville and Southampton, as the owners of the property we put the offer in on last Thursday still cant make their minds up, whether to accept it or not, so we've retracted the offer now.

One Bungalow in Southampton looked particularly good on paper with a large conservatory with access to the back of the Garage, it sounded ideal.

However it didn't live up to expectations, in fact that's not quite true, it was up together inside, but the Garage area was sopping wet, with water coming in through the sides of the Roof, and the brick work down the outside was damp and mouldy as next doors drive was about 2ft higher and no gap between. Also every door and window had big white security grills, the doors had Multi locks and the main front door had a touch entry keypad that seemed to be connected to the Alarm System, so that told me something about the area.:(

However I did see a nice Bungalow back at Cowplain, about a quarter of a mile from where we used to live, and in the same road, and we have done the deed.:good:

It has an integral Garage that I hope to put a door into from the Hall way, but the down side is, as I've stated previously, Integral Garages tend to be only about 16ft. This one is 16ft 3 inches, and by the time I've boarded up inside the up and over door, were looking at about 15ft 9 inches to a max of 16ft.

Consequently I need to shorten Seven Mills from it's current 17ft. I have a couple of options.

No 1, = Take about 18 inches off the Fiddle Yard,

No 2, = Cut off New Road and the Level Crossing, and about 9 inches off the Fiddle Yard.

I won't make a decision either way until I come to set it up again.

At least with this property we can move strait in as it was fully modernised decorated to a stunningly high standard 18 Months ago, and I can dump all the Railway in the Garage whilst I sort that out into a cosy room for me and my Trains.

Staying at the Premier Inn at Eastleigh I saw that the Station was closed over the weekend to replace the Points that were damage in the Derailment a couple of weeks ago. And this morning there is still some Engineering work going in the Goods Sidings as I observed from Spoons over breakfast. There is only one table, (No 32) that is high enough to see passing Trains etc, yes, SAD I know.

The second half of Argyle St will be collected next Sunday, weather permitting and then I can make a start on removing all the support frame and boxing things up.

Tomorrow I'll make a start, as there is still the loft to empty out as well yet.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 minutes ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Andy,

I look forward to meeting up when you are settled in. Meanwhile, I have spoken the district superintendent about running rights on Cwm Bach and he is happy in principle. 

Chris

Even for a Class 40? haha.

Cheers Chris, looking forward to meeting you too.

Great news Andy sounds like you took a firm hand on your first offer and looking saw the leaking garage while the weather is wet otherwise you may have missed it.

A few years back I was renovating our house, the wife said I had to as I was retired and spending too much time in my NEW hobby cabin.

I had some professional help for most of the work and because a new kitchen was being fitted which meant the large upright fridge,freezer had to go in the garage we discussed making a doorway into the garage from the cupboard under the stairs.

Well it took the 2 of them 10 mins to knock a hole through added some architrave and a lintel job done.  Well not quite they made me add a fire door from the hall with a key lock.

If size is a problem could you add something to the front or back of the garage particularly as you have to close the front off anyway.  Get a few quotes from some local builders to see what's involved .

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Great news Andy sounds like you took a firm hand on your first offer and looking saw the leaking garage while the weather is wet otherwise you may have missed it.

A few years back I was renovating our house, the wife said I had to as I was retired and spending too much time in my NEW hobby cabin.

I had some professional help for most of the work and because a new kitchen was being fitted which meant the large upright fridge,freezer had to go in the garage we discussed making a doorway into the garage from the cupboard under the stairs.

Well it took the 2 of them 10 mins to knock a hole through added some architrave and a lintel job done.  Well not quite they made me add a fire door from the hall with a key lock.

If size is a problem could you add something to the front or back of the garage particularly as you have to close the front off anyway.  Get a few quotes from some local builders to see what's involved .

Best

Thanks Barnaby, I cant extend front, back or sideways, so I have what I have, I'm also going to be about 10 inches less than I have at the moment, in the width department so quite constrained really.

Cheers for your input anyway.:good:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great news Andy, chuffed (no pun intended) that things are moving...literally South.

Just to add would be a shame to take New Road off and my preferred option would be to shorten fiddle yard. Like you said plenty of time to consider and ponder.

Wish I had put a road and level crossing in just like yours.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Baggies1961 said:

Great news Andy, chuffed (no pun intended) that things are moving...literally South.

Just to add would be a shame to take New Road off and my preferred option would be to shorten fiddle yard. Like you said plenty of time to consider and ponder.

Wish I had put a road and level crossing in just like yours.

I agree, If I shorten the Fiddle Yard, I will probably only be able to use it a Depot Stabling Point with no room to run Wagons out onto the Fiddle Yard, but plenty of time to try different options whilst it's set up here by putting card blockers on the Fiddle Yard as though it was shorter.

• RMweb Premium

Another option is to move the location of the bridge a foot. Plenty of room for the branch, might have to sacrifice one fuel point road so you could put the double span over the main lines and either assume the first point is beyond the bridge or have it partially in the fiddle yard. At least you keep the road and still run trains.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Another option is to move the location of the bridge a foot. Plenty of room for the branch, might have to sacrifice one fuel point road so you could put the double span over the main lines and either assume the first point is beyond the bridge or have it partially in the fiddle yard. At least you keep the road and still run trains.

Thanks Hal, An idea worth looking at.:good:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Even for a Class 40? haha.

Cheers Chris, looking forward to meeting you too.

Andy,

My Class 40 will fit on Cwm Bach, it just looks a bit silly taking up almost half of the length of the platform. It won't run on the sharply curved and steeply graded colliery line.  

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Andrew P said:

as the owners of the property we put the offer in on last Thursday still cant make their minds up, whether to accept it or not, so we've retracted the offer now.

So what happened to the layout you had started to build in this property?

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Great ideas ready for the big move south buddy, by getting rid of all the OO will give more room and finance for the O gauge project...

Yes mate, I've started boxing and cataloguing this morning ready for Flea Bay.

• Like 1