Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

A belated welcome back to the madhouse :) great to have you back online, and glad to see you've 'steamed' along with the POD.

On 19/06/2020 at 18:00, Andrew P said:

Then, whilst waiting for the door to be delivered, we started to lay the floor.

IMG_1657.JPG.6ccaf760a6e3e132571a52d3e9157ea1.JPG

Can I ask what have you used for the floor - is that polystrene sheeting with tongue & grove 9mm chipboard on top?  Your stepson, son-in-law and grandson have done you proud, superb work on the room and how it looks now.

On 22/06/2020 at 18:01, Andrew P said:

Mike also did the step, using the old bricks from the doorway.

IMG_1685.JPG.d26a95756d242998f62051fbdc85a02c.JPG

Just a thought for you … since my mother had a fall a couple of years ago I am always conscious of small steps, is there any benefit in extending that step forward by another slab, and to the otherside of the main house door so that you can move from one to the other without stepping down?  It looks fairly protected so frost/snow/ice in winter might not be an issue, but might just be something to think about in the future to minimise the risk of a trip or fall?

Glad your getting settled, very envious ;) Now enjoy it all … and I note that there is room under the meters etc, for a Z or 009 gauge layout which your obviously producing in secret in the shed :P

Take care mate - welcome back.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Andy, good to speak the other day, that Mancave looks the Mutts nuts Mate, enjoy it you deserve it after the move etc, is there enough room for a visit of 3 x Principality exiles and copious amounts of biscuits and Welsh Cakes ? once social distancing and Covid19 fears have quelled ?

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Andy,

A belated welcome back to the madhouse :) great to have you back online, and glad to see you've 'steamed' along with the POD.

Can I ask what have you used for the floor - is that polystrene sheeting with tongue & grove 9mm chipboard on top?  Your stepson, son-in-law and grandson have done you proud, superb work on the room and how it looks now.

Just a thought for you … since my mother had a fall a couple of years ago I am always conscious of small steps, is there any benefit in extending that step forward by another slab, and to the otherside of the main house door so that you can move from one to the other without stepping down?  It looks fairly protected so frost/snow/ice in winter might not be an issue, but might just be something to think about in the future to minimise the risk of a trip or fall?

Glad your getting settled, very envious ;) Now enjoy it all … and I note that there is room under the meters etc, for a Z or 009 gauge layout which your obviously producing in secret in the shed :P

Take care mate - welcome back.

Rich

Hi Rich, Good to see you on here again mate, I hope your well and keeping safe.

Yes your right about the Floor, the polystyrene soaks up any discrepancies in the concrete and the chipboard is heavy enough to hold it flat, especially now the cupboards are in and the frame is sitting on it.

We have discussed the step area, and will be extending both steps to form one large pad, and that will also make it easier for Dee, as she finds the small front door step difficult, but Mike has some jobs to do at home before we can do that.:good: 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, muddys-blues said:

Hi Andy, good to speak the other day, that Mancave looks the Mutts nuts Mate, enjoy it you deserve it after the move etc, is there enough room for a visit of 3 x Principality exiles and copious amounts of biscuits and Welsh Cakes ? once social distancing and Covid19 fears have quelled ?

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Craig, No room for 3 x LARGE (apart from David / Jintyman who is far to thin and in need of some big cream cakes) chaps in here, plus little me of course, haha, but always room for some Welsh Cakes.:yahoo_mini:

As for social distancing, that can't be done in there yet, but hopefully by next spring things may get back to some sort of normality, (whatever normality is in this house) haha.:o

• Funny 4

Shaping up.

Looking forward to seeing it set up with an operational layout in it.

Have you thought about making a platform that covers both doors then a shallow ramp at either end?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, KNP said:

Shaping up.

Looking forward to seeing it set up with an operational layout in it.

Have you thought about making a platform that covers both doors then a shallow ramp at either end?

Yes Kevin, When we do fill in the area in front and between the steps, there will be a ramp to help Dee get up to that level. 

1503027550_IMG_1665-Copy.JPG.36acccbb437f72ef9b8c43969a13539c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, pwr said:

Those extra sidings are going to make a huge difference to the operating potential Andy

Paul R

I agree Paul, and if I can go around to the second Fiddle Yard at that end I will have Light Engine through running, or a short Loco and a wagon or two and the original Fiddle Yard deeds to be shortened considerably unfortunately due in no small part to the much shorter room.

Good job I took the 10 1/2 inches off at the Level Crossing.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Donw said:

Great to see the layout set up Andy. Its all come together well.

Don

Thanks Don, and a lot quicker than I had imagined.

There is still much to do before I can get things moving. I have my Desk / Work Bench to sort out.

Shelves to put up of bits and pieces.

Then start to open all the boxes, (they are labelled) and find homes for the bits.

I need to make a new fiddle Yard board for across the door section, and to swing back over the Desk.

I also need to look at re wiring the controller once the Layout is ready to run, as the cradle for the SignaTrack will stick out to far by the door entrance, and I will probably do myself, or the controller an injury quite soon.

It will all come together, but not quickly.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Andy

Welcome to the sunny south.

Are you planning an outside light so that your trek between the two doors and locking/unlocking doors can be illuminated?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Hi Andy

Welcome to the sunny south.

Are you planning an outside light so that your trek between the two doors and locking/unlocking doors can be illuminated?

Done x 3:good:

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes Kevin, When we do fill in the area in front and between the steps, there will be a ramp to help Dee get up to that level. 

1503027550_IMG_1665-Copy.JPG.36acccbb437f72ef9b8c43969a13539c.JPG

Uhuh Uhuh I see where this is going lads.  " Nice big flat step tp help Dee get in and out" " A light fitted outside so you can see out there in the dark". Notice how much the roof hangs over that convenient space ? Next it will be  " I'm just going to raise the back wall a bit to cut down on the wind" . .  " i'm just going to put in a bit of a sloping roof across from the main roof to the back wall to make it a bit more weather proof in winter".   "I'm just going to put a door at each end as its like a wind tunnel in there"

"Just thinking dear maybe we should move the front door to the front of the house so you dont have so far to go to get in the car it'll fit nicely next to the garage door love"

Ooooo look a nice big covered space has appeared right next to my railway room, shame to waste it !!!

I could run a track right out the door, turn right and run right down the side of the house to the back garden :good_mini:

:rolleyes:

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Wow today has been really hot here much to hot to do much work and it looks like you must have been really busy. Will that desk/workbench ever be so tidy again?

Don

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mattc6911 said:

Uhuh Uhuh I see where this is going lads.  " Nice big flat step tp help Dee get in and out" " A light fitted outside so you can see out there in the dark". Notice how much the roof hangs over that convenient space ? Next it will be  " I'm just going to raise the back wall a bit to cut down on the wind" . .  " i'm just going to put in a bit of a sloping roof across from the main roof to the back wall to make it a bit more weather proof in winter".   "I'm just going to put a door at each end as its like a wind tunnel in there"

"Just thinking dear maybe we should move the front door to the front of the house so you dont have so far to go to get in the car it'll fit nicely next to the garage door love"

Ooooo look a nice big covered space has appeared right next to my railway room, shame to waste it !!!

I could run a track right out the door, turn right and run right down the side of the house to the back garden :good_mini:

:rolleyes:

Many of those ideas have been discussed with my Stepson, especially the extra roof and possibly a proper door at each end, but at the moment, it's more of a cost issue.

The Step will definitely be done to cover the full area, and I'll see how next winter goes re other bits first.

• Like 4