Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

As promised, Boy turned up this morning with all the stuff that's been in storage in his Garage since last October.

I need a re think.:o

And that's AFTER some had been put in the cupboards.:cry:

Andy,

The phrase your looking for is 'Oh......'

Rich

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Andy

Can I suggest having a micro-switch or similar that cuts power to the layout when the swing part is open to avoid the risk of anything taking a tumble from the open end?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Andy

Can I suggest having a micro-switch or similar that cuts power to the layout when the swing part is open to avoid the risk of anything taking a tumble from the open end?

Is it also just the single screw pivot that holds it whilst between 3 oclock and midnight - an awful lot of expensive toys to lose if that doesn't hold whilst you're swinging.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Andy

Yes a good idea Ray, I don't know how it can be done, in the meantime there will be stop pegs to drop in under the bridge.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

It's almost like you'd planned it.

Cheers Stu, It was planned like that many Months ago when we knew we would be having that property, but I though that I might work out to short. As it is now it's had to be reduced from 5ft down to 4ft, so it will still take an 08 and a couple of Wagons at least. :good:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Is it also just the single screw pivot that holds it whilst between 3 oclock and midnight - an awful lot of expensive toys to lose if that doesn't hold whilst you're swinging.

Yes that single screw is a 3 incher in a bit of 4 x 2, so I hope it holds, I took it all the way in, then backed off half a turn so it's still fairly tight, and has a large frame to rest on when across the door.:)

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, georgeT said:

You will be running soon l wager ?..

Yes, I hope so mate, I need to find a box that has short (about 3 inch) lengths of Track, for the  ends of the main board now, and then re lay the fiddle Yard.

I still keep looking at that 33 you've just bought and put pics of on your workbench thread.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55033-georgets-7mm-workbench/page/126/#comments

As I said over there, I've been looking for a Scottish 26 to go with my Scottish 37's but now having a MAJOR re think.:D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Want to buy a WHOLE LOAD of OO?:declare:

Hahaha! :D I would decline in the current time!  Taken a major step back from model railways over the past couple of months and had a bit of a penny drop moment as to why I have not been happy with the different projects I have come up with the try over the past two years.  So still plodding on with the 7mm Tyne & Wear Metrocar, but otherwise I having a total change of topic on the modelling front, which really seems to have gelled and ticked all the boxes, so we'll see what emerges - I'll post on a thread when things have moved on a bit :)

On a separate note, if anyone reading this is in the market for a Heljan blue DC Class 40 or 45 ... mine are going in the next couple of weeks, so feel free to PM if your interested - both around the £500 mark ... sorry for the deviation Andy.

So as I understand it Severn Mills has moved south and we are about to be invaded with Cromptons then :P. I have got a 33 here that is owned by a mate, I have just put a Zimo chip with Paul Chetter's sound project on it for him, and once the Earl Mountbatten of Burma plates arrive and are attached, it will be heading off to the Weymouth area! They are superb models.

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Temeraire said:

Come on Andy, you're down south now!

Ogauge1.jpg.ab91e4c78756c358d2136af3a1a706c0.jpg

DON'T DO THIS TO ME Ian, haha.:nono: Now a Blue weathered 33 like George T has just bought, and yes maybe a NO NO NO.:no:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hahaha! :D I would decline in the current time!  Taken a major step back from model railways over the past couple of months and had a bit of a penny drop moment as to why I have not been happy with the different projects I have come up with the try over the past two years.  So still plodding on with the 7mm Tyne & Wear Metrocar, but otherwise I having a total change of topic on the modelling front, which really seems to have gelled and ticked all the boxes, so we'll see what emerges - I'll post on a thread when things have moved on a bit :)

On a separate note, if anyone reading this is in the market for a Heljan blue DC Class 40 or 45 ... mine are going in the next couple of weeks, so feel free to PM if your interested - both around the £500 mark ... sorry for the deviation Andy.

So as I understand it Severn Mills has moved south and we are about to be invaded with Cromptons then :P. I have got a 33 here that is owned by a mate, I have just put a Zimo chip with Paul Chetter's sound project on it for him, and once the Earl Mountbatten of Burma plates arrive and are attached, it will be heading off to the Weymouth area! They are superb models.

Rich

Sounds like your getting sorted mate, I hope the new direction works for you, feel free to post pics of the 33 on here once the Name Plates are fitted.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ray H said:

Andy

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Yes a good idea Ray, I don't know how it can be done, in the meantime there will be stop pegs to drop in under the bridge.

Andy is the sector plate going to be wired for power on the RHS of the door (pivot end?) Or from the left hand side of the door (curved edge)  ? I wonder if you could use a couple of metal plates that make contact when the sector plate is closed, passing current TO the sector plate but also completing the circuit for the whole layout making it live. Opening the plate breaks the circuit cutting power to the layout. You could also use two lots so that you pass current through on one edge  and return on tother edge of the sector plate completing the circuit

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Sounds like your getting sorted mate, I hope the new direction works for you, feel free to post pics of the 33 on here once the Name Plates are fitted.

Thanks Andy - time will tell ... as for the Crompton ... Haha!  That sounds a bit like the character out of Vicar of Dibley :) So you want a Class 33 then Jim? No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, Yes!

I'll pop some pics up ... just be aware they are for viewing entertainment and not for their persuasion properties! :P

Rich

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Andy is the sector plate going to be wired for power on the RHS of the door (pivot end?) Or from the left hand side of the door (curved edge)  ? I wonder if you could use a couple of metal plates that make contact when the sector plate is closed, passing current TO the sector plate but also completing the circuit for the whole layout making it live. Opening the plate breaks the circuit cutting power to the layout. You could also use two lots so that you pass current through on one edge  and return on tother edge of the sector plate completing the circuit

I'm not good with electrics, but I understand what your saying, and I like the idea. Not sure how it will work with DCC though. The current plan is to run a feed across the door to the pivot end, and also to the 3 storage tracks, but that is still in the thinking stage at the moment, as I might leave them dead so that there not ticking over etc.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I'm not good with electrics, but I understand what your saying, and I like the idea. Not sure how it will work with DCC though. The current plan is to run a feed across the door to the pivot end, and also to the 3 storage tracks, but that is still in the thinking stage at the moment, as I might leave them dead so that there not ticking over etc.

Was mulling it over myself Andy, realising it would be for DCC. I'm thinking 3 plates, two short and one long. Two short plates mounted on the SIDE of the main layout half inch apart but very near to the edge of the layout adjacent to the edge of the sector plate. First plate is wired to the controller, second plate is wired to the Bus. The  Third LONG plate is mounted on the edge of the sector plate So it projects OVER the other two plates and wired to the bus ON the sector plate. When sector plate is closed the long plate touches BOTH Short plates completing the circuit

Think of a latch gate, when you close the gate the latch that projects out from the gate drops over the hook. Latch is long plate hook is two short plates.

On the other edge ( nearest the wall it can simply be a long plate wired on the main layout and a short plate on the sector plate that makes contact when its closed. You only have to have a double break ( 3 plates) on one of the two wires

Sounds more complicated than it is

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

IMG_1711.JPG.6766bcd1a5343c91a51247a8230b403a.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG.7be06bb83e10e451995e79d660d42e6b.JPG

Andy,

Now you've proved it works, looks like there is about 6 inches to the end of the first point. You could have all bar the front face of the bridge as part of the swivelling area and increase the fiddle yard by a small wagon or perhaps that half a loco that doesn't quite fit now it is shorter and not make any difference to the scenic area.

Edit: forget that, think I was having a moment! You are only swinging it to open the door, not as a key part of operating so the swinging part doesnt really limit the train length anyway.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Andy,

Now you've proved it works, looks like there is about 6 inches to the end of the first point. You could have all bar the front face of the bridge as part of the swivelling area and increase the fiddle yard by a small wagon or perhaps that half a loco that doesn't quite fit now it is shorter and not make any difference to the scenic area.

Edit: forget that, think I was having a moment! You are only swinging it to open the door, not as a key part of operating so the swinging part doesnt really limit the train length anyway.

Actually it's the same idea that I used previously with the Fiddle Yard, i.e. if I was shunting a rake of Wagons that were just a bit to long for the Fiddle Yard, but cleared the Point, then that was fine.

The only time the F/Y length will make a difference, as again as previously, is when using it to change tracks,  and now of course also to park it up over the Bench when not operating the Layout.

Now also with the new system the only other time it will go from one extreme to the other during operation is to dispatch or collect Locos from the three short Loco holding Tracks to the right of the Bench area.

I hope that makes some sort of sense, well I know what I mean, haha.:good:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

Already planted the seeds of 33’s....just needs a bit of fertiliser lol

4 minutes ago, pwr said:

Impressive Andy - yes you need a 33! Seriously good model. here is mine

May-14.jpg.f66588808a083c870960f8910c89b121.jpg

Paul R

4 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Now you are back down south, 33s are the order of the day surely...

DOOOOOOOONNNNNNNN''''''TTTTTTTT,:nono: I have to sell some OO first.

But very tempted now. As Ian said, the Seeds have been sown, which is never a good thing with me.:heat:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3