Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

In the above photo Andy there's an oil drum seems to have fallen over has Lazy Joe been depending on it TOO much or has he been made to do some work and had a temper tantrum and kicked it over :jester:

So good to see things happening again Andy excellent 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, gismorail said:

In the above photo Andy there's an oil drum seems to have fallen over has Lazy Joe been depending on it TOO much or has he been made to do some work and had a temper tantrum and kicked it over :jester:

So good to see things happening again Andy excellent 

He's so lazy, he can't even stand it up right to lean on.:no:

With the first board removed and ready, I'm just waiting for the wiring instructions to tell me which terminals to solder the wires to on the new adapter board.

IMG_1941.JPG.0f28e9bdff2e33501b364ef3b48292b5.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG.3d13b515fe98afb3cb064cb857bad8b3.JPG

It seems an easier job than previous Heljan Locos.

I'm also waiting for a new Soldering Iron to arrive on Monday, my current one was my fathers, so at least 60 years old. And he taught me how to solder when I was about 15, so some 55 years ago, and it's still got the same tip, and I've used it on building Layouts and soldering Chips since I was 27, and making Points etc. for the failed Bitton project.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

I hae just bought a new rather expensive soldering station, having got interested in building DCC systems I need to do some Surface Mount Soldering  the biggest is format is 3mm x 1.5 mm for resistors and imagine a chip about 3cm square with 144 teminals quite insane in the smaller sizes 

Don

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Donw said:

I hae just bought a new rather expensive soldering station, having got interested in building DCC systems I need to do some Surface Mount Soldering  the biggest is format is 3mm x 1.5 mm for resistors and imagine a chip about 3cm square with 144 teminals quite insane in the smaller sizes 

Don

I bought an expensive variable temperature one when starting the trackwork on Bitton, but it was to weak to do the job, so I reverted to my old one, then the newer one packed up altogether.:no:

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2020 at 17:33, Ray H said:

Thanks Andy. I thought I'd allowed enough headroom with my first attempt. Luckily I thought I'd try one of the tank engines to check it and . . . . .  No way. I've sine found an excuse to add about another 10mm the the height of the pillars and hope that none of my other locos have an even taller chimney.

Have you seen this picture from the "Human Side of the Railway" thread. I was concerned that my bridge was too narrow but looking at this one and making mine a footbridge, I think it'll do. I reckon the tops of the walls/panels are about 5ft high and the vertical pieces of metalwork are around the same width apart.

That was my first thoughts but now taking an even closer look I realise that there's a further bridge behind the footbridge which has a very large span. I wonder if that's a pedestrian bridge as well.

K50P5972.jpg

Burton has something like that across the Horninglow Road - after the repair in 1976?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Looking good Andy, amazing what a difference those extra two roads have made.....

Rich

Thanks Rich, I think, once there ballasted and the Fiddle yard is hidden it will make that end look a better.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I bought an expensive variable temperature one when starting the trackwork on Bitton, but it was to weak to do the job, so I reverted to my old one, then the newer one packed up altogether.:no:

Well this one is 70W professional quality. You have to beware some of those sold are clones and can be quite dangerous.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2

This is most strange, I was sure I posted these pics etc. a couple of days ago.

Anyway, just waiting for the instructions to tell me which terminals to solder which wire to on the Zimo adapter board on the pair of 33's.

IMG_1941.JPG.17d40f3678f63e4131b493bd8ed28af6.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG.e162e20ee7f951c81920add07b0389ca.JPG

• Like 4

Good evening Sir....yes you did post them but no one could up load them just had an address ........or whatever it's called .....layout looking excellent ..it's a bit like old age ..it's lost length but has grown around the waist :jester: there must be one hell of a racket with all those loco's ticking over.... good job you sound proofed the POD :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

This is most strange, I was sure I posted these pics etc. a couple of days ago.

Anyway, just waiting for the instructions to tell me which terminals to solder which wire to on the Zimo adapter board on the pair of 33's.

Andy,

I did one of these for a mate a couple of weeks back, I can pop the top off and have a look if you need me to, as he hasn’t arrange the courier to collect it yet!

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, gismorail said:

Good evening Sir....yes you did post them but no one could up load them just had an address ........or whatever it's called .....layout looking excellent ..it's a bit like old age ..it's lost length but has grown around the waist :jester: there must be one hell of a racket with all those loco's ticking over.... good job you sound proofed the POD :crazy:

I thought I wasn't completely loosing the plot despite my age.:rofl:

5 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Andy,

I did one of these for a mate a couple of weeks back, I can pop the top off and have a look if you need me to, as he hasn’t arrange the courier to collect it yet!

Rich

Cheers Rich, don't worry at the moment, Paul and Jinty are sending through details.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 11/07/2020 at 22:44, Andrew P said:

I seem to have acquired a number of soldering irons over the years but I only ever use 4.

I have a big Antex 70w and a slightly smaller Antex 35w which I use for kit building. I have a yellow Antex variable temp 50W which I use for wiring  and a 12v small Antex for white metal.  The yellow variable one is quite new and a replacement for an earlier model that I accidentally trod on and broke - it was cold at the time I am pleased to say! This one has an LCD display which I find useful whereas the other simply had a dial you had to change using a screwdriver. Both work as well as each other.

I probably have about 4 or 5 others which I never use. These are mostly about 20w and were OK for 4mm work but not so good for 7mm I just bought a very small USB powered soldering iron kit which looked impressive although I probably didn't need it.

I also have a resistance soldering iron which my wife bought me as a surprise Christmas present one year. I use that occasionally for detail work. Its just a different way of soldering. 

Paul R

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pwr said:

I seem to have acquired a number of soldering irons over the years but I only ever use 4.

I have a big Antex 70w and a slightly smaller Antex 35w which I use for kit building. I have a yellow Antex variable temp 50W which I use for wiring  and a 12v small Antex for white metal.  The yellow variable one is quite new and a replacement for an earlier model that I accidentally trod on and broke - it was cold at the time I am pleased to say! This one has an LCD display which I find useful whereas the other simply had a dial you had to change using a screwdriver. Both work as well as each other.

I probably have about 4 or 5 others which I never use. These are mostly about 20w and were OK for 4mm work but not so good for 7mm I just bought a very small USB powered soldering iron kit which looked impressive although I probably didn't need it.

I also have a resistance soldering iron which my wife bought me as a surprise Christmas present one year. I use that occasionally for detail work. Its just a different way of soldering. 

Paul R

Hi Paul, I have two, my trusty old 25W and a little 5W that seems useless, the new one should arrive later I hope.

Edited by Andrew P