Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Jeff, I though you went into Hibernation in the winter, not come out of it, haha.

Good to see you on here and glad you liked the bit of fun with spot the difference.

I'm struggling to find a suitable Loco at the moment, the OO Peckett is lovely but it's so tiny when I look at it against a Class 40 in O Gauge, but I need to try and find something that will work with a small yard and 16T Minerals. Er indoors would say a big no to anything in the Lounge. May be I need to buy Gismo's Shed, haha.

In all honesty Andy, even a 40 in OO will look small against the O gauge beast. Try going 2FS, the panniers look diminutive in comparison!!!

What about an 03 pottering about in OO? Again fitted with a stay alive it should give nice slow shunting? Or one of the Hunslet Janus models if you want an industrial option?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

In all honesty Andy, even a 40 in OO will look small against the O gauge beast. Try going 2FS, the panniers look diminutive in comparison!!!

What about an 03 pottering about in OO? Again fitted with a stay alive it should give nice slow shunting? Or one of the Hunslet Janus models if you want an industrial option?

I'm watching a Sound fitted 03 on Flea Bay at the moment, but need to sell the K3 before making any purchase. Again some nice ideas.

• Friendly/supportive 1

David / Jintyman has just sent me an idea, I've inverted it to suit my situation better, and would replace the Retaining wall with a Grass Embankment. Yet another nice idea.

Original by Jintyman.

623986602_PlanfromJintyman.jpg.763ebb6ea8deda277877195e599dee4c.jpg

My inverted version.

1423402334_PlanfromJintymanReversed.jpg.b73fcf10cef15e048445de2f003d8bee.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

If the station is surrounded by retaining walls, how do the chaps in the goods yard get the goods in and out of the goods yard other than by rail.

Could you extend the loading dock to cover both tracks and then make a hint of a warehouse in the side retaining wall with the tracks extending inside  maybe a wagon's length.  No coal facilities but it would then address how the goods got from the rail level to the upper level where the road would be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

If the station is surrounded by retaining walls, how do the chaps in the goods yard get the goods in and out of the goods yard other than by rail.

Could you extend the loading dock to cover both tracks and then make a hint of a warehouse in the side retaining wall with the tracks extending inside  maybe a wagon's length.  No coal facilities but it would then address how the goods got from the rail level to the upper level where the road would be.

In my scenario there would be nothing to the right, so that would be the Gates and Goods Yard Entrance, unless I can squeeze in a narrow Road, with the Coal Yard to the front coming off scene, as I did with Trebudoc. I don't do big Warehouses and buildings so the more Rural the better, just a small Provender Store and Coal Office. Also the Coal Road won't be as long so Loading Dock access will be behind that I think.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

I really like that plan Andy and if it was a rural setting a concrete provinder store would suit it a treat.  I'd prob leave the right hand end open to give a veiw along the layout and extend the coal siding a bit. The coal siding ash ballasted or tarmaced up to the rail tops and lorries could just drive over to get to the inner siding. 

Sorry if I've missed it but what size would it be? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

I really like that plan Andy and if it was a rural setting a concrete provinder store would suit it a treat.  I'd prob leave the right hand end open to give a veiw along the layout and extend the coal siding a bit. The coal siding ash ballasted or tarmaced up to the rail tops and lorries could just drive over to get to the inner siding. 

Sorry if I've missed it but what size would it be? 

Hi Steve, I have an area of about 7ft x 1ft, but that would have to include about 18 inches of the Fiddle Yard folding over to leave room for the O Gauge Fiddle Yard to go across the door.

I could on the other hand keep it at 5ft 6 inches and possibly stretch the width to 15 inches, and use a sector Fiddle Yard which is always my preferred option.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Steve, I have an area of about 7ft x 1ft, but that would have to include about 18 inches of the Fiddle Yard folding over to leave room for the O Gauge Fiddle Yard to go across the door.

I could on the other hand keep it at 5ft 6 inches and possibly stretch the width to 15 inches, and use a sector Fiddle Yard which is always my preferred option.

i think I'd go for the sector plate option. I do like that plan though, I actually like the idea of 3 lead in roads, as in the original version so you could have a dmu waiting on the far platform while a freight is sorted out in the yard. 

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

i think I'd go for the sector plate option. I do like that plan though, I actually like the idea of 3 lead in roads, as in the original version so you could have a dmu waiting on the far platform while a freight is sorted out in the yard. 

Nice idea Steve. A lot will depend on the width of the board, 1ft and it would be to tight, 15 inches and I would have to do away with hidden Track under the Embankment, but at 18 inches, I might get it all in including that extra line to make it an Island Platform.

The wood is still in the loft and I think it's 5ft 6inches x 18 inches, if so, and providing the over hand over the work bench isn't a problem then that will be a perfect size.:good:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

they are good groups, been in them for a while

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

A mix of Motive Power in Seven Mills this morning, overseen by L.J.

IMG_2961.JPG.b2da4f097c8af2087dd70aa9ef99502b.JPG

That'll be the shortest retirement ever...... I bet his new uniform already has the elbows wearing thin......:D

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andrew P said:

As there may not be an R M Web in the morning

Ahh.  I knew there was something stopping me sleeping...

That new plan has resurrected a vague idea to do Birmingham New Street as a 7mm micro layout. A lot of trains terminated or reversed so a loco and half a coach* could appear, the loco detach, the coach eventually disappear etc. Maybe a single unit leave the other way occassionally.

*If I make a mk1 BG out of two Dapol brakes cut in half, I could literally make a couple of 1 bogie dummy coach ends with the leftovers and keep the hidden section really short.

Carlsberg dont make photo planks, but if they did.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Ahh.  I knew there was something stopping me sleeping...

That new plan has resurrected a vague idea to do Birmingham New Street as a 7mm micro layout. A lot of trains terminated or reversed so a loco and half a coach* could appear, the loco detach, the coach eventually disappear etc. Maybe a single unit leave the other way occassionally.

*If I make a mk1 BG out of two Dapol brakes cut in half, I could literally make a couple of 1 bogie dummy coach ends with the leftovers and keep the hidden section really short.

Carlsberg dont make photo planks, but if they did.....

In all seriousness Focoplane, is doing Birmingham Moor St in 7mm. The Loco and Coach idea is a good one though.

http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/birmingham-moor-street.7704/page-27#post-213520