Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

9 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Clive

I always understood that the red was at the bottom so that snow couldn't accumulate on the hood for the lamp below. That said, I suppose the close proximity to the ground probably makes it more likely that snow would accumulate on said ground more readily that on the lens hood.

Your theory sounds good Ray, but I'm not sure mate.

• RMweb Gold

1123880076_ScreenShot2020-08-03at21_46_36.png.15644057a5f487e2c675c774587e9e76.pngIt seems that with the short lived sessions on RM I missed a change of base for out young man .. If lazy Joe stays there too long there may be some motorists committing 'road rage'.  On the bungalow I think you once said that you couldn't have a shed but one being there already you would not be adding ashes, just replacing it and using 'old fashioned inches' instead of millimeters.  That should give you one big enough to work in for those additional layouts that will come ... failing that sound proofed it could become a practice man cave.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, class27 said:

I have used DCC concepts OO Ground signals which I thought were overscale for 4mm, but were about right for 7mm easy to use and control. The POD is looking good, you certainly don't hang about.

Thanks Class27, I'm pleased with how the POD has turned out, and still being able to SMS in has been the icing on the cake.

I used BERKO OO ground Signals on Kingsmill TMD and New Mills, and they seemed about the right size to my eyes, I haven't seen the DCC Concepts ones yet.

50 minutes ago, PeterBB said:

1123880076_ScreenShot2020-08-03at21_46_36.png.15644057a5f487e2c675c774587e9e76.pngIt seems that with the short lived sessions on RM I missed a change of base for out young man .. If lazy Joe stays there too long there may be some motorists committing 'road rage'.  On the bungalow I think you once said that you couldn't have a shed but one being there already you would not be adding ashes, just replacing it and using 'old fashioned inches' instead of millimeters.  That should give you one big enough to work in for those additional layouts that will come ... failing that sound proofed it could become a practice man cave.

Hi Peter, Lazy Joe gets to move where ever I'm taking Photos on that day, so he's quite a versatile chappie.

As for the Old Shed, the area is to small for a decent size Shed, only one big enough for a spray booth, about 8ft x 6ft, but also it was in a most stupid position. I don't think there will be any more OO Layouts as the POD is full with SMS, Guitars, all my Art stuff, and the Work Benches, yes two, a low one to sit at, and high one for standing at or doing my painting. Weathering will have to be done outside.

• Informative/Useful 1

I can confirm, on a post the red is at the bottom to prevent the red being covered by snow, on the ground the red is on top as it is easier for the driver to see and reduces the chance of obstruction by snow etc, however, a longer shield can be fitted on the red to give additional protection and to shield the bottom shield to reduce the snow build up on that one

however, your railway, your signals, local instructions etc...

Edited by 47606odin
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Andy - glad all is going well down there.

It's good to see some wagons making an appearance recently, I think it lifts the

scene greatly. Could you revert to having a few held in sidings, and a few less

locos stabled all over the yard. I think it would improve the overall atmosphere

even more. Just an idea mind, it's whether it fits with your vision, of ourse.

Re the ground signals, it looks like Berco were lazy and maybe simply used

the post mounted lamps, as ground sigs.

I do have a couple of other queries, have you considered

a) where those signals read to? 

There seems to be a choice of routes, which are not indicated.

b) where are they controlled from?

Could be a (remote?) Signal box, or local ground frame perhaps.

But both I suspect would need more signals throughout the yard.

On reflection, I would be interested to know what signalling plan

Paul (5barvt) would come up with for your trackplan.

Having said that those you have fitted do improve the view, and

more importantly some pics.

All the best to you and Dee

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

It's good to see some wagons making an appearance recently, I think it lifts the

locos stabled all over the yard. I think it would improve the overall atmosphere

Re the ground signals, it looks like Berco were lazy and maybe simply used

the post mounted lamps, as ground sigs.

I do have a couple of other queries, have you considered

a) where those signals read to? 

There seems to be a choice of routes, which are not indicated.

b) where are they controlled from?

Could be a (remote?) Signal box, or local ground frame perhaps.

But both I suspect would need more signals throughout the yard.

On reflection, I would be interested to know what signalling plan

Paul (5barvt) would come up with for your trackplan.

Having said that those you have fitted do improve the view, and

more importantly some pics.

TONY

Hi Tony, Re your first point, the new Fiddle Yard has made coupling and un coupling a lot more difficult, not impossible, just more difficult. I have NO intention of changing my coupling system to Kadee or any other sort, so I will bear your thoughts in mind, as I do agree, it looks less crowded.

Also the New Depot will help, as at least 3 Locos can be stored in there, so that will be a bonus.

Regarding your second point, you may be right about the BERKO Signals, I went to Eastleigh this morning for a quick look, but forgot my camera, then remembered I had to be elsewhere so came home. I will go back for another look, or have a look on my Photo database of Signals.

Regarding the choice of Routes, there is no choice, the one on the Main Loop is to hold a Train if the through Line is in use, and the Point is set against the Loop. And similarly with the one nearest the control panel, (the Goods Relief Line), it merely holds the Train if the Point is set for through running.  

Reference the Signaling Box Location, I hadn't given any thought to that. as far as I'm concerned, they are only there for my own amusement and to add some operational interest. I certainly don't want a Signaling Plan, that would put pressure on me to change things which I have no intention of doing.

I got the new switches at AC Models in Eastleigh earlier, so off out now to fit and finish the jobbie.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Tony, Re your first point, the new Fiddle Yard has made coupling and un coupling a lot more difficult, not impossible, just more difficult. I have NO intention of changing my coupling system to Kadee or any other sort, so I will bear your thoughts in mind, as I do agree, it looks less crowded.

Also the New Depot will help, as at least 3 Locos can be stored in there, so that will be a bonus.

Regarding your second point, you may be right about the BERKO Signals, I went to Eastleigh this morning for a quick look, but forgot my camera, then remembered I had to be elsewhere so came home. I will go back for another look, or have a look on my Photo database of Signals.

Regarding the choice of Routes, there is no choice, the one on the Main Loop is to hold a Train if the through Line is in use, and the Point is set against the Loop. And similarly with the one nearest the control panel, (the Goods Relief Line), it merely holds the Train if the Point is set for through running.  

Reference the Signaling Box Location, I hadn't given any thought to that. as far as I'm concerned, they are only there for my own amusement and to add some operational interest. I certainly don't want a Signaling Plan, that would put pressure on me to change things which I have no intention of doing.

I got the new switches at AC Models in Eastleigh earlier, so off out now to fit and finish the jobbie.:good:

from memory, the only ground signal is on the freight loop behind Redbridge station. That is definitely Red at the Top, I signed that route

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

TONY

So Tony suggested Wagons back in the Yard, so I thought I'd give it a whirl and see how it looked.

IMG_2302.JPG.73acbc904392e3f4e75ed7d7cbaad6f8.JPG

IMG_2320.JPG.21e0d774088777114667e697842bcce0.JPG

:good::good::good:

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

2 minutes ago, IAN K said:

Hi Andy mate .It's  coming more to life with ths wagons and trackside lights. I do miss the humour plus the cake . 

Thanks Ian. And it WAS your turn to buy some cakes, I don't think you ever did, haha. Short arms, DEEP pockets, haha.:laugh_mini2: Can you do Mail Order? :no:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hello Andy,   With the problem of uncoupling, l have come up with an idea to make life so much easier (at my age anyway) and that is to add a small brass ring on the end of the three link, job done, makes shunting much more tolerable, with Marks garden railway we have a bit of shunting to do, and its much easier now, just a thought mate....when painted black you don't see it..

DSC06982.JPG

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, georgeT said:

Hello Andy,   With the problem of uncoupling, l have come up with an idea to make life so much easier (at my age anyway) and that is to add a small brass ring on the end of the three link, job done, makes shunting much more tolerable, with Marks garden railway we have a bit of shunting to do, and its much easier now, just a thought mate....when painted black you don't see it..

DSC06982.JPG

Thanks for that George, but the biggest problem is seeing the link, as I'm now at about 45 degrees from the Wagon, so cannot see the hooks and links anyway.

This is the view I have now at chest height.

IMG_2402.JPG.cb1faa2ac08d484b770a98239f5e0537.JPG

• Like 4

Andy

Your timeframe is such that you could get away with a few vacuum braked wagons. A few of those Dapol vans should do it or you could wait for their Palvan which is a bit more up to date.

Paul R

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, pwr said:

Andy

Your timeframe is such that you could get away with a few vacuum braked wagons. A few of those Dapol vans should do it or you could wait for their Palvan which is a bit more up to date.

Paul R

Thanks Paul, I don't know much about the difference in Vans, I just buy what I remember seeing around at the time. I know there is a short Wheelbase Red / Grey Railfreight Van due out, which I think is from Dapol, but how the Braking is, I haven't a clue, but I will be having at least one if I keep the Van / Wagon Traffic.

What is a Palvan? Is it one you get get within 2 Meters of as it's your Pal?:no:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1