Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

55 minutes ago, Donw said:

I think the problem was just going too far , trying to hold up big sheets of hardboard against the roof while nailing/screwing them in place would be taxing for anyone. You must have had to lugg them up a ladder too.  You do need to take things gently having had several warnings from your body. 

Don

Your right Don, 16 sheets of 6ft x 2ft white faced Hardboard and 6 x 3m lengths of 3 X 2 CLS, plus the collecting and loading from B & Q, then after deciding I couldn't do it, getting it all, (well 10 sheets plus the timber) back down again, re loading it in  the Car, unloading again at B & Q and wheeling it in to the returns dept.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it now.:scared::swoon:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2020 at 20:12, Andrew P said:

It's been a funny old day.:scared:

Started off with another ride in a Big Yellow Box:o down to the local Hospital, YES, another HA scare, I knew I'd over done things last week, but it all went a bit Peet Tong this morning after I collapsed and Dee had to call 999. 

After many test, and checks I was declared as being almost alive, and so sent home late afternoon.

The chest pains were as a result of me straining last week in the Loft.

Great treatment at the Queen Alexandra Hospital and by the Paramedics, NHS, second to none, THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN.:good:

On 13/11/2020 at 12:59, Andrew P said:

Cheers George, we've known each other for more years than I care to remember, but today you have spoken some sense,:good: so thanks for that, and yes, NO MORE LOFTS, and no more big projects.

Although I do have a Plan........................................................:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Hi Andy,

Sorry that this is going to echo other posts, but first time I have been on rmWeb since middle of last week.  Sorry to hear you have not been well, but glad that you are doing ok.  I was going to say, just give some more thought to the loft idea as it is more strenuous getting up there, plus (and I say this purely from my own thoughts of my parents) its a bloody sight harder to get you out if anything goes wrong.  One reason (among others that I have ruled the loft out) for anything this like.

Far easier to just walk into the POD - but having said all that George has already said it. In the nicest possible way as a friend and admirer of your modelling, please listen, inwardly digest and act on it!  Model railways aren't worth this kind of sacrifice.

Enjoy a few days relaxing and planning what you could do as a replacement OO gauge layout for Budoc Bridge without doing too MUCH! And hope your feeling back to your normal self asap.

Take care mate - where rmWeb is concerned your a national asset! 

Rich

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Andy,

Sorry that this is going to echo other posts, but first time I have been on rmWeb since middle of last week.  Sorry to hear you have not been well, but glad that you are doing ok.  I was going to say, just give some more thought to the loft idea as it is more strenuous getting up there, plus (and I say this purely from my own thoughts of my parents) its a bloody sight harder to get you out if anything goes wrong.  One reason (among others that I have ruled the loft out) for anything this like.

Far easier to just walk into the POD - but having said all that George has already said it. In the nicest possible way as a friend and admirer of your modelling, please listen, inwardly digest and act on it!  Model railways aren't worth this kind of sacrifice.

Enjoy a few days relaxing and planning what you could do as a replacement OO gauge layout for Budoc Bridge without doing too MUCH! And hope your feeling back to your normal self asap.

Take care mate - where rmWeb is concerned your a national asset! 

Rich

Hi Rich, Cheers mate, once again, as with all previous comments to me, your comments are well put and I am respecting all views expressed.

I'm resting this weekend, and will be doing NO MORE heavy timber work. I find laying Track and doing scenics rewarding and relaxing, so once the 2 new boards are made, (NOT by me) then that will be it. No more OO Layouts unless Seven Mills goes one day, but now, I can't really see that happen any time soon.

The Budoc Bridge Branch is still for sale as I will need the money from that and also the area at a later date.

Thanks again for the warning mate, really as with ALL comments, really appreciated.:good:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest to anyone over 70 to think carefully about a loft layout. If you cannot fit proper stairs in (which Andy did intend) just ask yourself could your wife come up and get you down if you had even a bit of a turn or felt dizzy. Once you have proper stairs fitted (and not them half tread things) it is a lot safer. I know Andy would knock up a layout in no time but given the 5 years to 10 years (for a big layout) it would take most of us you may well find going up a loft ladder is beyond you.

My late friend Frank had proper stairs and then had a stair lift fitted so he could still get up to his railway room despite mobility problems. Mind you he could afford to have the work done. He had fitted TV aerials in past years but those days were long gone.

Commandeering the Garage like Andy is a good option even if you end up in a wheelchair access is easily solved and being able to go in and run trains. For that reason I think you want to be able to watch trains seated. Besides it suits the granchildren/ great grandchildren better. 

Apologies for spouting on in your thread. I probably do things most 70 year old wouldn't dream of doing but I suspect the railway room will be the last roof I ever build and I wouldn't have been able to get an 8x4 Sterling board up onto her shed roof without Marion's help when I had to replace one last month. 

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

58 minutes ago, Donw said:

I would suggest to anyone over 70 to think carefully about a loft layout. If you cannot fit proper stairs in (which Andy did intend) just ask yourself could your wife come up and get you down if you had even a bit of a turn or felt dizzy. Once you have proper stairs fitted (and not them half tread things) it is a lot safer. I know Andy would knock up a layout in no time but given the 5 years to 10 years (for a big layout) it would take most of us you may well find going up a loft ladder is beyond you.

My late friend Frank had proper stairs and then had a stair lift fitted so he could still get up to his railway room despite mobility problems. Mind you he could afford to have the work done. He had fitted TV aerials in past years but those days were long gone.

Commandeering the Garage like Andy is a good option even if you end up in a wheelchair access is easily solved and being able to go in and run trains. For that reason I think you want to be able to watch trains seated. Besides it suits the granchildren/ great grandchildren better. 

Apologies for spouting on in your thread. I probably do things most 70 year old wouldn't dream of doing but I suspect the railway room will be the last roof I ever build and I wouldn't have been able to get an 8x4 Sterling board up onto her shed roof without Marion's help when I had to replace one last month. 

Don

Cheers Don, Brilliant and you don't need to appologise for sprouting off as you put it, all good stuff.

THANKS.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Yes Don very good advice given there to Andy, I am 76 and have been trying to make things easier not more difficult in the Hobby cabin.

Simple things like reducing the size of any layout attempted, small planks being my aim. 

I then stand a chance of finishing a layout or at least feel I can see the light at the end of a tunnel.

It also doesn't tie me up in a major project that is giving me little reward.  

Little and often suits me more, who knows I may even have 2 small sized planks say 6ft each one to work on either, which ever takes my mind.  I would of course have an in and out on each board to allow me to connect them together should i desire.  it should be quite easy to ensure the in and out are identical on each boards for their connection. 

My warped logic is that if i do have 2 boards "A" & "B" they would normally flow connect A to B but for a shunting change I could take B and connect to A ie boards now flow B to A. :jester:

• I have my 30ft x 12ft Hobby cabin it's double glazed fully insulated, with lighting an sockets and so far I can still manage to jog down to the end of the garden for a play, sometimes I just sit and read in there. :sungum: Of course I can brew tea, coffee and make toast too. 

Like Andy I still think i am 25 but my body does sometimes say whoa and it pays to take note of these signals.  I do have a couple of medical issues but with the help of some medical  micro-electronics I still am quite active.  :good:

Regards

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

• I have my 30ft x 12ft Hobby cabin it's double glazed fully insulated, with lighting an sockets and so far I can still manage to jog down to the end of the garden for a play, sometimes I just sit and read in there. :sungum: Of course I can brew tea, coffee and make toast too. 

Like Andy I still think i am 25 but my body does sometimes say whoa and it pays to take note of these signals.  I do have a couple of medical issues but with the help of some medical  micro-electronics I still am quite active.  :good:

Regards

Now that's the sort of Cabin I dream of.:good:

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Hi Rich, Cheers mate, once again, as with all previous comments to me, your comments are well put and I am respecting all views expressed.

Thanks again for the warning mate, really as with ALL comments, really appreciated.:good:

If nothing else Andy, you should be taking away that there is a lot of warmth and friendship on here for you, and that everyone is voicing an opinion purely with your best interests at heart.

On a lighter note, I am also not sure you should taking all these pictures in the rain you know.  While it isn't good for you, think of the camera equipment .. I have this image of you borrowing Dee's hairdryer to dry your camera out after each soaking.  Every time there is the sound of rain on the roof I can almost imagine the camera trying to flatten its batteries to avoid Andy 'wet-look' Peters being able to take it away from the warmth of the POD shelf on which it resides!! :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I took Hugo for his walk this morning, it wasn't raining when we left the house. It peed down after a few minutes, so we had a short walk. It stopped when we were about 20 yards from home on the return.

I find the rain normally starts when I am about as far from the house as I intended to go no chance to cut it short.

Don

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

A little package arrived yesterday from Made in Manchester / Along Classic Lines.

Its a Portacabin.

IMG_3273.JPG.5b741096f8c08db95018a07e78d1d974.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG.7e2faa7b256e4febe67b982f3422b1b7.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG.71da8a57022773d75ccf4bb0cdddf9f1.JPG

So this morning I made a start with the assembly, it's very easy and went together nicely.

IMG_3276.JPG.f4c2992c5baaa6c03d955f7aa495c82d.JPG

It then had a coat of Freight Grey, and whilst the paint was still wet, it had a blow over with White Primer on the upper half to give a weathered effect.

IMG_3277.JPG.af5e187ee5c8b27acee60f2f6780b9a1.JPG

The Roof was then done in a darker Grey.

IMG_3278.JPG.05dccfd5b4df6afe74b669e2d63c8813.JPG

And the window frames and Door were done in Ford Olympic Blue.

IMG_3279.JPG.5c5e523c86ce92f28ae2b5f23178dea3.JPG

Whilst waiting for the windows, door and roof to dry, I tried it in a couple of locations, although it's final resting place will be on the new section once completed.

IMG_3280.JPG.475007327a2744662feb0d15af3424ce.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG.6dad6a11a8dc2c51fc7b17f288c977e3.JPG

I'll get some more done tomorrow.

• Like 15