Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

Interesting Andy, the plan looks to give quite a bit of interest in movements, etc.

I'm sure that with your beautifully painted backscenes and great attention to detail, it will look fantastic.

Following for sure!!!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Looks up to your usual standard :) We have high expectations!  

Interesting move, I assume from your comments that its along the wall of the shed, so you only have access from the front?  Not the sides or rear?

Rich

Hello Buddy, l love the name, but l feel you will struggle lifting heavy (expensive) Co Co or Bo Bo locos on and off the sector /  fiddle area ? l know you dont like cassettes but they would make life so much easier, looking forward to what transpires ....

Interesting Andy, the plan looks to give quite a bit of interest in movements, etc.

I'm sure that with your beautifully painted backscenes and great attention to detail, it will look fantastic.

Following for sure!!!

Jinty ;)

Morning David / Jints, I hope the Plan works, the only concern, is the Warehouse area in front of the Fiddle Yard, that was a last minute addition as I re drew it from my scribbling pad last night. 

I'm looking forward to adding lots of small details, but still not sure about the Backscene, I need to give that some serious thought.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Looks up to your usual standard :) We have high expectations!  

Interesting move, I assume from your comments that its along the wall of the shed, so you only have access from the front?  Not the sides or rear?

Rich

Hi Rich Your right, it will sit on the frame along under the Window / Curtain side, and will come from the far end up as far as the Work Bench, leaving that area free and more open, and no doorway / lift out section.

So you are abandoning 4mm, well it had to come, what with the failing eyesight and the inability to pick up small things. I am not looking forward to old age, but you seem to be relishing it. :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

I did have a very interesting Plan for a 4mm Yard, (think Kingsmill on Steroids), and back to my normal 15 Points and loads of sidings, but then I realised that I would still need to rationalise my Stock both in terms of Wagons, (the Coaches have already gone), and some Locos, as there was only room for about 5 on the Layout at any one time, so it all seemed a bit like chasing my tail.

The decision also, brings everything into focus, I can concentrate on 7mm and no more than a few Locos, no Passenger Stock, apart from what I already have for Pen, and almost the same goes for Wagons, I will only need a few.

As for failing eyesight, well most of our O Gauge Club members are in the 70's so even though I'm not there YET, I guess it's the way to go.

• Like 3

I bet it will be another good'un

Don

Thanks Don, I certainly hope so, like any Track Plan on paper, it looks workable, but until the boards are done and I can actually throw down some lengths of Track, then I won't really know, I don't want it to look over crowded, so need to be careful.

I do have another Plan, which I am just putting some finishing touches to, which is more open, and will publish shortly. It will be interesting to gauge reaction to the two Plans,, but then I need to see what works for me.

• Like 1

Subscribed ready to follow all that will end up in here. I’ll miss the 00 continuous run though and videos of that.

Cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade, At least the Videos are there to look back on. I have felt the same with every Layout I've ripped up or Sold on.

Kingsmill, bad boards scrapped,

Deesdale, Sold and still on the Exhibition Circuit,

Glen Roy, Sold,

St Budoc, Sold, Re Named and being exhibited I believe down South,

Trebudoc, Sold, (should never have) now in residence in a fellow Club Members Shed,

Glenfinick, Sold, Now with another Club Member,

Loch Leven, Sold, bought back, turned into Fiddlers Yard and re Sold,

Fiddlers Yard, (see above), Sold and now with another Club Member,

West Shed, really good to operate, SOLD,

Porth Merryn, Sold and being exhibited on the South Coast,

Pencarne, Sold,

Kings Moreton, Sold, and going to a good home.

There may have been more, like Trent Valley Freightliner Depot, Crammore Inn, Cramore Bridge, Lavender Hill MPD, Etc. And there have been many more that were never finished like Bitton, Whittaker St, Bristol Victoria, Pencarne Junction, Trewithen Etc. :no:  :no:  :scared:

Watch this space. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Hello Buddy, l love the name, but l feel you will struggle lifting heavy (expensive) Co Co or Bo Bo locos on and off the sector /  fiddle area ? l know you dont like cassettes but they would make life so much easier, looking forward to what transpires ....

Thanks Mate, I wasn't sure about the name at first, it sounded a bit corney, but now it seems to work, and perfectly say what's in the tin.

I have never liked cassettes, and I would have no where to store them off the Layout anyway. I will probably need to remove the Warehouse area, but the is a Plan ''B'' and ''C'' if required.

The HOPE is that there will be very little in the way of removing Locos from the Layout, as I won't be able to afford 20 or so as I had with ''OO'', (I was up to over 70 at one stage, when I had all the Steam Stock and Green Diesels as well), so it will be just like a Shunting Puzzle, of moving Locos about under their own Power, on and off View.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

How about having the warehouse sidings slighty lower than the rest of the layout - there is the lead in track that could be on a small slope - then you will better access to the fiddleyard behind for the odd occasions (weekly it seems) you add to your stud.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning David / Jints, I hope the Plan works, the only concern, is the Warehouse area in front of the Fiddle Yard, that was a last minute addition as I re drew it from my scribbling pad last night.

I'm looking forward to adding lots of small details, but still not sure about the Backscene, I need to give that some serious thought.

Cheers.

Andy,

Just a though - more from a point of giving you a spark that you may wish to develop (or not!) but could you make the warehouse area reasonably flat, but with a low-relief warehouse mounted on a board that could slide-out from the top? That could give easier fiddle yard access when out, but allow it be slid back and the fiddle yard hidden when your doing photos? Just a thought for you?

Rich

• Like 2

How about having the warehouse sidings slighty lower than the rest of the layout - there is the lead in track that could be on a small slope - then you will better access to the fiddleyard behind for the odd occasions (weekly it seems) you add to your stud.

Nice idea, and worth a look once the Boards are done, cheers.

Andy,

Just a though - more from a point of giving you a spark that you may wish to develop (or not!) but could you make the warehouse area reasonably flat, but with a low-relief warehouse mounted on a board that could slide-out from the top? That could give easier fiddle yard access when out, but allow it be slid back and the fiddle yard hidden when your doing photos? Just a thought for you?

Rich

As above, another good suggestion, Cheers Rich, It proves once again that there is more than one way to build a Layout, and that's what I like about R M Web.

• Like 1

So here we go, another journey in the whirlwind of the Andy.P layout building masterclass. I look forward to following the latest journey Andy. Abandoning 4mm? I give you 4 months before some kind of small 4mm layout starts to be planned!

• RMweb Premium

So here we go, another journey in the whirlwind of the Andy.P layout building masterclass. I look forward to following the latest journey Andy. Abandoning 4mm? I give you 4 months before some kind of small 4mm layout starts to be planned!

Hi Andy

4 months? He would planned at least three while reading your post. :mosking: :mosking:

Hi Andy,

I like the idea of your proposed layout, so much so, that I have taken the liberty to produce it using AnyRail 6

post-6951-0-55921000-1534513988_thumb.jpg

the grid is 6" square. The trackwork is standard Peco O Gauge and I have drawn the pointwork to give the usual track centres, with the toes of the two crossovers at the righthand end on your red line which I assume is your baseboard join.. As you can see, this results in a much shallower plan than you sketched out and if you want the 'full 2ft' as your sketch, you would end up with very little space at the ends of some of the tracks as well as some very strange reverse curve arrangements.

I only point this out to help before you spend time and effort in building baseboards.

kind regards

Mike

Good to see 7mm, what a pun! Will you be using Kadees? I am beginning to think it might be a good idea for Penmaenpool, particularly for shunting wagons some distance away from the layout edge. In my case the coal wagon for the coal stage and ash wagon would both be beyond my eyesight and reach.

Paul

• Like 1

Mike, as drawn the parallel tracks look very tight through the reverse curve above the lower left-hand point.

Like you, I like to use some form of software or templates to identify those turnouts which require horrid crossing angles to fit the pencil plan! I love Iain Rice's plans but they 'grow' a fair bit when you use sensible radii and crossing angles through the pointwork!

Dave