Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

I think it’s been done, anyway. Can’t remember who, what, where, when, but it’s been on the exhibition circuit.

Best

Simon

Oh well, mine will be different anyway, cheers Simon.

BTW, will I see you at Telford?

I fully agree. There are a number of potential advantages, the key one is that the track does what you want it to. Secondly, it flows. Thirdly, it’s way cheaper (less than half, I’d estimate) and fourth, though perhaps most important, you can adopt 31.5mm gauge through the crossings.

The downside is that it takes time (maybe 5 or 6 hours per point, roughly) and you need a basic grip on Templot (which is free), although you can cut-and-shut photocopies of C&L templates for nearly the same effect.

The skills required are patience, soldering and filing. The tools required are some track gauges (Debs of this parish), decent track cutters (Xuron), a biggish soldering iron, (say 30W chisel tip or more), a small wood saw, a vice & a decent chunky pair of pliers. You’ll also need a computer & printer!

The consumables are sleepers & timbers, rail, chairs, slide chairs, fishplates, tiebars, MEK (get the real stuff on the www), solder, flux, 1mm strip brass & epoxy. I also use some thin card & exterior PVA.

Hopefully without reigniting endless debate about 31.5 gauge, it allows the use of just about all modern 0 gauge wheels without wheel drop, and apart from a couple of extra gauges, without extra cost.

I’ve told my pointwork story (or at least, the edited highlights) in the PD thread., near the beginning.

One other thought, I actually cut my teeth in 0 gauge pointwork on copperclad - might be worth doing one or two of them to start with, as they are easy to build and rebuild, and they can always be used in the fiddle yard.

Hope it helps

Simon.

Thanks Simon, see my reply to Jints, Post 49, I've done it in OO and have no desire to do it again, yes I agree it is cheaper, but not when you already have 6 good / used Points in stock at £40 a go.

Thanks for all the advice, but it will be Peco I'm afraid.

It's not a bad idea you know Andy, building your own track I mean. If I can build point work in EM and S4 I'm sure you can do it in 7mm. You only really need a template, or a means of printing them off, and a full set of gauges. You've already got everything else. Or you could use C&L components and glue it all together well most of it you still have to have a soldering iron for some of it. I will grant you that switch rails are a bit of a pain but you can build a jig for them or buy them in. In way of compensation crossings are a breeze though. You just need a crossing flange way gauge and a straight edge. There are all manner of guides to help you as well, building track is building track it don't matter what gauge you work in the principle is the same you just have to beef things up a bit. You can use a proper file in 7mm! You might need a bigger iron but they don't cost much these days you can get soldering stations with sensible wattage very reasonably that will cope with all your modeling needs from N to gauge 1.      

Regards Lez.Z.

Please see above Post to Simon, Lez.

Cheers anyway.

Andy,

Just discovered your new thread.  Looks promising.  All the very best of luck with it.

Regards,

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I hope it comes out as a good combination of West Shed and Fiddlers Yard but in the Senior Scale.

• Like 2

Hi Andy,

got fed up listening to the Test Match, so here is V4

attachicon.gif7Mill v4.jpg

no space for the last right hand point though!

kind regards

Mike

Spot on Mike, I do like that, room to store Locos, Movement to Coal Drops and shunting into the Warehouse.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Got that centre road trap point fitted yet Clive?

Dear Mr Kazmierczak

Our Clive has been busy and has eventually got round to doing his homework and fitted the trap point. 

Please see Sheffield Exchange page 80

Yours

Clive's Mum

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Totally agree Jints, but I already have the 6 Points, and having built 00 Track I know I can do it, but just cant be ar**ed to mess about, so I'll stick with what I have, but thanks for the kind offer anyway mate.

Those who have been following Andy's work may remember he did a pretty good job of the turnouts on Bitton. But this is a hobby do what you enjoy.

Don

Hi Andy,

great news, look forward to seeing the detail going on the scenery by next week end!

regards

Mike

STOP...…… :O ………..Change of Plan. :no:  :no:  :no:  :scared:  :scared:

See below. :sungum: Next Page now Mike.

Edited by Andrew P

But he don't listen to us. :nono: :nono:

If I did it would cost me time and MONEY, I'm BLOCKING that George T's thread for that very reason, hahha :sarcastichand:  :sarcastichand:

Wow - I go away for the weekend and come back to find a new Andy Peters' topic that is already on its third page!

I was going to wait for you to get home before I started mate.

• Like 1

Those who have been following Andy's work may remember he did a pretty good job of the turnouts on Bitton. But this is a hobby do what you enjoy.

Don

Thanks Don, Yes I could reverse 21 X 16T Minerals over them with no issues, and no wheel drop in the V's, I enjoyed it, and could do about one point in an evening, so not to bad.

SMS is more about Play Value and somewhere to run noisy Locos.

• Like 2

Got that centre road trap point fitted yet Clive?

Dear Mr Kazmierczak

Our Clive has been busy and has eventually got round to doing his homework and fitted the trap point. 

Please see Sheffield Exchange page 80

So Guys, remind me, what doos one ov dem do?

Up earliy this morning, Plans still going around in me edd.

• Like 2

Good morning Andy, wow I hadn’t realised how long it’s been since I have been on RMweb properly catching up on threads, then I come across this new one of yours.

Looks interesting & plenty of good ideas discussed from others ....... but where will the bogcarts come into it ?

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

Morning again all, Yes up early and out into TOPS.

New and FINAL PLAN, as the main reason for building SMS is to have a stabling point for my Diesel Fleet, with grassed over sidings.

So, 9ft Scenic, and 3ft F/Yard

post-9335-0-35485000-1534663019_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-55262700-1534663069_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-02828400-1534663111_thumb.jpg

A bit like this from Kings Moreton.

post-9335-0-61451200-1534663444_thumb.jpg

• Like 15