Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy you are still at it then. The rate you finish layouts you must be on piece work.  I have been cutting down of RMweb as I has too much to do. After laying about 50sq metres of Paving we had problems with it so it is coming up and new going down plus there from needs paving too. It would be nice to get back to modelling.

I am waiting for another steam layout from you I do enjoy seeing them.

All the best Don

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/07/2019 at 10:08, PeterBB said:

Enjoy!

Thanks Peter, the object of the break was to lay Mum's Ashes with Dads at Exeter Crematorium, which we did on Tuesday, it was a very emotional day, but all went really well.

The few days away did Dee and I good as well, and we were ready for a change of scene for a few days.

• Friendly/supportive 4

On 07/07/2019 at 17:56, Donw said:

Hi Andy you are still at it then. The rate you finish layouts you must be on piece work.  I have been cutting down of RMweb as I has too much to do. After laying about 50sq metres of Paving we had problems with it so it is coming up and new going down plus there from needs paving too. It would be nice to get back to modelling.

I am waiting for another steam layout from you I do enjoy seeing them.

All the best Don

Hi Don, Good to hear your still at it, as it were, but not Modelling is BAD NEWS. Sounds bad enough laying the slabs once, but to have to lift it, and then do it again is a real pain.

You do need some ME TIME, and get back to the Modelling.

Re Steam Layouts, there won't be any for a while yet, I need to work on New Mills, my OO Project, and then get on with doing more to SMS over the coming weeks.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I spent a little time yesterday and today fitting the Paul Chetter / Zimo MX 696S, Sound Chip to my Heljan Class 40.

Heljan are really helpful as all the wires are red and black, but it looks more complicated than it actually is, once you now where to put certain wires, and a call to Paul yesterday and David Jintyman today guided me in the right direction.

With the Analog board and Roof Fan Motor removed, and the wires sorted and check for light functions, the new board can be added.

This shows the completed job.

IMG_8982.JPG.d7e7148104ccadf2ec11689ec02da932.JPG

The board comes in two halves, one with the screw terminals and the other the decoder and locating pins

IMG_8979.JPG.42315fe1137beadcc64e640002761dbd.JPG

Once wired the two marry up to form the decoder.

IMG_8980.JPG.461b87f4327fbd897f9cdd8d7924b8bc.JPG

The Speaker I've selected was supplied by David / Jintyman of this Parish, and gives a nice warm sound, as will be heard once the short Video has been up loaded.

IMG_8981.JPG.ec5601de08d4a4ee85bb99bf5211bc49.JPG

Once done I could test the lights, I requested that the No 2 end lights be on a separate function for either off / pulling a Train, or on / Light Engine.

IMG_8977.JPG.dcd6188abb1ed7fd1b99a839b5322a03.JPG

IMG_8978.JPG.09b7166ba59ce6b6045504b915845321.JPG

IMG_8984.JPG.f2b48f5b82e135909a76305da0f22364.JPG

IMG_8985.JPG.3c0e8f688f0b531ac79472aa2a86bdd4.JPG

The Video will be along soon.

Edited by Andrew P
add an S
  • Like 12

Whilst waiting for the Video, here are a few pics of another job from today on SMS.

I painted the side of the Baseboard and then fitted some walling, I couldn't find any decent 7mm Walling that was narrow enough, so I've fitted large 4mm, and I think it looks O.K.

Its only there to stop a wayward Wagons or Locos coming off the  edge of the board.

I can now get on and Ballast this section.

IMG_8986.JPG.1e6af9d5c3175a771f2648af1ee73cea.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG.3b158e28e579d580175bca0872738d6d.JPG

IMG_8989.JPG.58b69075275da81e37399841a38aea8e.JPG

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I spent a little time yesterday and today fitting the Paul Chetter / Zimo MX 696S, Sound Chip to my Heljan Class 40.

Heljan are really helpful as all the wires are red and black, but it looks more complicated than it actually is, once you now where to put certain wires, and a call to Paul yesterday and David Jintyman today guided me in the right direction.

With the Analog board and Roof Fan Motor removed, and the wires sorted and check for light functions, the new board can be added.

This shows the completed job.

IMG_8982.JPG.d7e7148104ccadf2ec11689ec02da932.JPG

The board comes in two halves, one with the screw terminals and the other the decoder and locating pins

IMG_8979.JPG.42315fe1137beadcc64e640002761dbd.JPG

Once wired the two marry up to form the decoder.

IMG_8980.JPG.461b87f4327fbd897f9cdd8d7924b8bc.JPG

The Speaker I've selected was supplied by David / Jintyman of this Parish, and giveS a nice warm sound, as will be heard once the short Video has been up loaded.

IMG_8981.JPG.ec5601de08d4a4ee85bb99bf5211bc49.JPG

Once done I could test the lights, I requested that the No 2 end lights be on a separate function for either off / pulling a Train, or on / Light Engine.

IMG_8977.JPG.dcd6188abb1ed7fd1b99a839b5322a03.JPG

IMG_8978.JPG.09b7166ba59ce6b6045504b915845321.JPG

IMG_8984.JPG.f2b48f5b82e135909a76305da0f22364.JPG

IMG_8985.JPG.3c0e8f688f0b531ac79472aa2a86bdd4.JPG

The Video will be along soon.

Cor Blimey, Andy

The wiring inside that loco is as complicated as my control panel.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, pwr said:

Awesome Andy. Just awesome.

I see from the lighting configuration its about to haul the Royal Train! Do you have a model of that! Ha ha!

Paul R

Cheers Paul, Now that the covers are fitted it's Freight, I think?????:notme:

I've done the 56 and it's up loading now, and then did the 47 and 37 mate.

55 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor Blimey, Andy

The wiring inside that loco is as complicated as my control panel.

Although I ticked AGREE Clive, I think you win hands down for excess wire on your panel, do you have shares in Wire For U?

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Very nice sounds Buddy very realistic, prefer the short films...

Cheers George, The short ones are less time consuming but difficult to judge quality, the next one with the 47 and 37 is about 4 minutes, so again, about 2 minutes for each Loco.

This last Video's a bit longer, about 4 minutes, as we have the Heljan 47 with an ''OO'' Chip by South West Digital removed from a ''OO'' Loco a couple of years ago and so has to have one Motor removed.

The same with the Heljan 37, but this time fitted with an ''OO'' Paul Chetter / Zimo Chip with active braking, I don't know why the lights are flickering in the Video as I never noticed them when filming. This Loco also has the No 2 end Lights on a separate function for pulling a Train with the Tail Lights off, or Light Engine with them working.

Both Locos were Numbered and Sound fitted by David / Jintyman of this Parish, and weathered by me.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, georgeT said:

Very nice sounds Buddy very realistic, prefer the short films...

Hi George

I see our mate is still using the G-Tap name, and from my understanding you are the G and T from the days of your band he use to hang about with. Anyhow as he is still using your name, is he paying you any royalties on this videos?

My fees as your agent are 40% plus 35% if I have to do any transactions and further 15% to cover expenses.

• Funny 3

8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi George

I see our mate is still using the G-Tap name, and from my understanding you are the G and T from the days of your band he use to hang about with. Anyhow as he is still using your name, is he paying you any royalties on this videos?

My fees as your agent are 40% plus 35% if I have to do any transactions and further 15% to cover expenses.

He learnt all he knows from me, and is still in my debt, haha.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

4 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Cracking videos Andy, close call which I prefer, the sounds on here or New Mills, tough choice! 

Steve.

Always a close call, but most O Gauge has the bigger speakers so a nice deeper sound, the advantage with New Mills is scale length of run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I don't know why the lights are flickering in the Video as I never noticed them when filming.

Hi Andy,

If they are LEDs, then the camera is picking up the flicker of lights.  LEDs switch on and off very rapidly, which the human eye doesn't see, but put a video camera on with a shutter speed above 1/60th of a second, and the Flickr will show up.  Its the same problem that we have with trains on the National Network - the lights can appear to be all 'OFF' despite clearly seeing them when you hit the button!

The downside is selecting a slower shutter speed will result in a blurier picture, although that might not be too big an issue at the speeds involved on model railways.  Major problem on the big railway of course!!

Rich

• Informative/Useful 2