Seven Mills Sidings, from TOPS to the POD, Page 169 and Bench Road, Stabling and Fuelling Point from Page 245

Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Quite by chance I was looking through some early S7 Group Newsletters this morning and there it was! Severn Mill was a layout by Peter Kibble that appeared at York in 1998 and, no doubt, elsewhere too at that time.

Dave

Hi Dave

So, there can be more than one layout with the same name.

As you mention it was 20 years ago it was on the circuit, is it still in one piece?

Is it spelt the same, the name you have given has an "R" in it?

• RMweb Gold

It was definitely Severn Mill with an R in it. I remember seeing it but cannot remember where. I was editing the Gazette at the time the associate editor was Steve Naylor who knew Peter Kibble well.

Don

• Like 2

All my 7mm number and name plates are from Severn Mill and Chris Watford does (or has) make (made) the best out there.  The past tense reference is to the fact that modern etchers will not comply with his stringent quality control, so he has decided it's time to throw in the towel.  He does have large stocks, though, so if you have any needs, send him an email.

Ironically, I bought the set for prairie tank 4175 which features on Philip Hawkins' Summer Saturday at Snow Hill painting.  I was planning on buying the Heljan model but then cancelled the order.  It may be that I will buy the loco after all as it is now promised for September delivery.  If I do I bet it isn't the first time such a decision has been made.

Paul

PS, nice to see some baseboard construction photos, please include more!

Hi Andy,

Looking good so far. Nice class 20 too.

Cheers Peter.

POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG THREAD EARLIER, :no:  so don't worry if you see it on Pen, YOUR not going mad, :sungum:  I AM.

Thanks Peter, The Large Logo 37 should arrive tomorrow, and the 20 on Wednesday I would think.

Just picked up 08173 from the shop I used to help out in.

two weeks ago I bought 13 Points and a box of Track, plus some other OO bits, so did an exchange today with some CASH BACK, :O  nice. :sungum:

Steam topics on Pen, Diesels on SMS. :sungum:

• Like 1

All my 7mm number and name plates are from Severn Mill and Chris Watford does (or has) make (made) the best out there.  The past tense reference is to the fact that modern etchers will not comply with his stringent quality control, so he has decided it's time to throw in the towel.  He does have large stocks, though, so if you have any needs, send him an email.

Ironically, I bought the set for prairie tank 4175 which features on Philip Hawkins' Summer Saturday at Snow Hill painting.  I was planning on buying the Heljan model but then cancelled the order.  It may be that I will buy the loco after all as it is now promised for September delivery.  If I do I bet it isn't the first time such a decision has been made.

Paul

PS, nice to see some baseboard construction photos, please include more!

Cheers Paul, the boards will be done here now and not off site, so I will TRY to remember, nothing to technical for mine though,2 X 6ft x 2ft 9mm Ply top, and some screws. EASY.

• RMweb Premium

There I am nonchalantly heading straight to the final page of this topic as it is now and at the top of the page is a picture of a horse with the caption the "the big one".

I stopped for a moment and checked I was on the RMWeb site - tick, then noted it was Seven Mills Siding - tick, then the picture of the posting member was noted and I thought oh-oh what question or comment is a picture of a horse captioned the big one the answer to?

Page 4 soon sorted that out!

Amazing how Clive managed to obscure the facial features of the horse so well in the photo.

There I am nonchalantly heading straight to the final page of this topic as it is now and at the top of the page is a picture of a horse with the caption the "the big one".

I stopped for a moment and checked I was on the RMWeb site - tick, then noted it was Seven Mills Siding - tick, then the picture of the posting member was noted and I thought oh-oh what question or comment is a picture of a horse captioned the big one the answer to?

Page 4 soon sorted that out!

Amazing how Clive managed to obscure the facial features of the horse so well in the photo.

:offtopic: Yes mate, that Clive bloke seems to get in everywhere with his toilet humour, :O  but he's not a bad bloke really, just has a weird taste in Music, :no: but I think he can be cured of that, but not his humour thank goodness. :sungum:

He still owes me a coffee and cake at the next Show BTW. :blum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

So back on Topic, and TWO text this morning from two different delivery companies saying that my Class 37 from Tower Models, and the 20 from Hattons will be thrown over the fence from a gtreat height later today. :scared:  :scared:

Better get out there ready to catch em. :O  :no2:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

POSTED THIS ON THE WRONG THREAD EARLIER, :no:  so don't worry if you see it on Pen, YOUR not going mad, :sungum:  I AM.

Thanks Peter, The Large Logo 37 should arrive tomorrow, and the 20 on Wednesday I would think.

Just picked up 08173 from the shop I used to help out in.

two weeks ago I bought 13 Points and a box of Track, plus some other OO bits, so did an exchange today with some CASH BACK, :O  nice. :sungum:

Steam topics on Pen, Diesels on SMS. :sungum:

Looks like it's all go with the diesels then Andy. Did you get the class 20 from Hattons I must admit I bought. I was also looking into getting a Large Logo class 37 too but have decided to repaint my Split box Green one that I had been thinking of selling.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 2

Looks like it's all go with the diesels then Andy. Did you get the class 20 from Hattons I must admit I bought. I was also looking into getting a Large Logo class 37 too but have decided to repaint my Split box Green one that I had been thinking of selling.

Cheers Peter.

Looks like you were typing as I was posting the post above Peter, yes the 20 is from Hattons, I was going for the Railfreight Red Stripe 20 at Tower as well, as it was a good price, but now there all gone.

I now have,

2 x 08's

1 x 20

1 x 37 Large Logo.

2 x 37 in Blue pending.

Need a 47 like I had when they first came out, seen here running on St Budoc.

post-9335-0-87329500-1534838463_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Blimey building up a decent fleet there Andy. I think I read somewhere that Heljan were going to re release the class 47. I am looking forwards to the class 25 myself.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Blimey building up a decent fleet there Andy. I think I read somewhere that Heljan were going to re release the class 47. I am looking forwards to the class 25 myself.

Cheers Peter.

I forgot the 25, and 33, wow, I have more than I realised, better start selling some, hahah. :no:

I have the NEW 25 on order as well.

Tower show the 47 is coming back in 2019

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

I forgot the 25, and 33, wow, I have more than I realised, better start selling some, hahah. :no:

I have the NEW 25 on order as well.

Tower show the 47 is coming back in 2019

How can you forget thew 25?????

Yes the class 47 is being revamped by Heljan in 2019, supposedly with a few livery variants. Not sure what buffer beams will but utilised, bu like the 37, it should be possible to adjust if necessary.

Jinty ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:offtopic: Yes mate, that Clive bloke seems to get in everywhere with his toilet humour, :O  but he's not a bad bloke really, just has a weird taste in Music, :no: but I think he can be cured of that, but not his humour thank goodness. :sungum:

He still owes me a coffee and cake at the next Show BTW. :blum:

Hi Andy old mate,

I think things have got a little out of kilter with your health problems and the snow earlier this year where we missed meeting each other at shows. Wasn't George T supposed to be buying the cakes and coffee at Nottingham which none of us got to attend, so on my reckoning It must be your turn to buy the teas and mince pies at your club's Xmas do . :sungum:

Thinking of your club, I know why you have become a O gauge modeller. No having to climb the stairs to play with the big boys toys, making it easier on you older fellas.

For those who have not attended a Mince Pie weekend or the Easter Egg one at the Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group club rooms you are missing a nice relaxed day out with good trains and company.

How can you forget thew 25?????

Yes the class 47 is being revamped by Heljan in 2019, supposedly with a few livery variants. Not sure what buffer beams will but utilised, bu like the 37, it should be possible to adjust if necessary.

Jinty ;)

Didn't know Buffer Beams were different, :O  shows what I know. :no:  :no:

Hi Andy old mate,

I think things have got a little out of kilter with your health problems and the snow earlier this year where we missed meeting each other at shows. Wasn't George T supposed to be buying the cakes and coffee at Nottingham which none of us got to attend, so on my reckoning It must be your turn to buy the teas and mince pies at your club's Xmas do . :sungum:

Thinking of your club, I know why you have become a O gauge modeller. No having to climb the stairs to play with the big boys toys, making it easier on you older fellas.

For those who have not attended a Mince Pie weekend or the Easter Egg one at the Gresley and Wychnor Model Railway Group club rooms you are missing a nice relaxed day out with good trains and company.

I was sort of hoping you'd forgotten Nottingham, yes I'll get the coffee's in at our Mince pie, there FREE TO ME, hahha

I will be working on the Dornoch Branch which is upstairs unfortunately mate, it's hard on the old knees.

Thanks for the Mince Pie Plug. I need to post the dates when I find out when it is.

Hi Guys,

Gresley and Wychnor MRG Mince Pie Weekend 8th and 9th December 2018 ... it is entered on the calendar

Cheers, Peter

Cheers Peter, I was going to ask you at Club tonight.

Do I need to be there? hahah

• Like 1

Hello again, Mr P

Have found the "follow" button (doh!) so will watch this thread with interest. (My Dad was a keen O Gauge modeller, and all his locos and stock are stored upstairs for now).

I was going to make a suggestion for your original plan (now long superseded) - could a "lift up and forward" mechanism similar to those installed in "TV coffee tables" (the kind that raise up to provide an appropriate height eating surface) be installed to bring the FY tracks behind the warehouse up and over to allow easy access without stretching? I am sure one if your many contributors could "imagineer" (to steal from Disney) such a contraption?

A similar device was used to great effect a few years back for the professional touring version of "Grease" - the band played the overture "on stage" before being lifted up, forward and down into the "pit" *whilst still playing*, the entire band being set up on a hydraulically moved platform! Stunning to see, and the audience went wild!

A vertical fiddle yard system has been developed/patented, but I've never seen what I've just attempted to describe. (Probably a good reason why, ha ha!)

Steve S