Cost to charter a train?

AberdeenBill

Hi all,

Back in the 1970s (a mere 40 years ago) I went on a good number of charter trains either organised by the local "railway travel association" or from school.   Does anybody have any idea how much it would have cost to charter a train from (say) Bournemouth to Tenby on a summer Sunday to sit up to 500 people (10 Mk 1s)?

Thanks,

Bill

There was an article in RAIL ENTHUSIAST magazine sometime in the early/ mid 1980s  about chartering trains. I seem to recall a price of about £10,000 being suggested for a 500 seat out and back train.

Also I remember an article (mentioned in news section, I think) where a teenager had chartered a DMU from Plymouth to Penzance and back (or the other way around) for a birthday party and that a disco was set up in the guards/ brake area.

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bill,

Well I cannot comment for back in the 1970s, but in 2018, assuming diesel and assuming WCR as the train operator, you would be looking at a good £25,000 - so a base ticket price today, of around £50 before you include advertising, admin costs, food, any staff costs ... expensive business.

Back in the 1970s of course, it could have made a big difference as to whether the train was a private charter (by a charter company or tour operator) or whether it was one of British Rail's away day excursions, they would have been undoubtably cheaper, as back then there wasn't a cost assigned to every footstep!

Hope that might help give some perspective.

Rich

• Like 1

That's handy to know for when my lottery numbers come out ! A pair of 37's from Leeds to Stockport with an "88" for the run to Euston with some fantastic on board catering included, would be a great day trip out for family, rail enthusiast mates and my (ex) work colleagues  :friends:    

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Back in the 1970s (a mere 40 years ago) I went on a good number of charter trains either organised by the local "railway travel association" or from school.   Does anybody have any idea how much it would have cost to charter a train from (say) Bournemouth to Tenby on a summer Sunday to sit up to 500 people (10 Mk 1s)?

Thanks,

Bill

About £2,500 -£3,500 for that in the very late 1960s/early '70s.  But charter rates shot up in the 1970s due to inflation.  In the mid-late 1990s post privatisation I was charging c.£700+ for a Class 37 for  'a working day' plus fuel and 'a working day' really only amounted to one shift plus the odd extra hour or two if I felt generous although in one case I was charging that for 4 hours use although I didn't then charge for fuel.

• RMweb Gold

I might be wrong but I recall, SLOA charged around a £1000 per day for a steam loco. In the 1980’s, I recall BR had a loco change fee also, something like £300 to swap a loco. I might have some actual papers from the 1960’s / 70’s somewhere, my dad used to co-organise trips to BR depots/ works thru to the early 1980’s. Though he kept good records I know a lot went under the table too on the day when it came down to locos allocated, platforming and certain on the day routings.

I do recall one tour when I was very young, where we stopped at a semaphore that was set for a route, and he being called to visit the signal box, and climbing out of a BSK, only to return a few minutes later as a bit of a hero on the tour, with the route altered and going through a freight yard instead of direct, I was really puzzled at the time, as he wasn’t a rail employee, which is why I recall it, but I get it now.

I used to love these railtours, as often I got a cab ride from it, and he knew certain drivers / signal men quite well which at weekends we occasionally got box visits and rides with friendly drivers around the north west. On occasion specifically I remember was a DMU, when my dad knew the driver we got in at Bolton and so engrossed with the chat, the driver left his Blackrod stop so late he dropped the vacuum handle and we stopped off the rough end of the platform that was unused, with the front car off the platform altogether. We quickly left the cab into the passenger area as the guard came down the platform to have a word.post-20773-0-15863500-1534801453.jpeg

This was yours truly in the cab of a 40 late one evening on a railtour, I had been in the second mans seat a good portion of the journey.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Possibly so - I am told that the likes of a Duchess or A4 are around £5000 per day now, to cover maintenance, running costs, coal and water etc.. Not sure what the costs for a specific loco would be, I've no doubt the likes of GBRf and DRS would quote a figure for running a train, then add x amount on top for a specific class - given that it needs extra logistics, potentially different drivers depending on traction knowledge etc..

Rich