Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Carpet Monster

Ruston

• RMweb Premium

I would also like to endorse the jeweler's apron as being a Good Thing. In addition to that, when the inevitable happens, a good strong light from the side and close to the floor throws even the smallest part into relief, even Kadee coupler springs have been found this way.

Cheers,

David

Jeweller's Apron, of which I have a suitable example, would have /will help prevent open bladed Stanley Knife wound to just socked foot; yes I know, and don't ask.

Good investment and makes one look, in front of guests/visitors, capable of modelling of some description. Handy frount pouch for containing snacks and distractions as well.

P

• RMweb Gold

Why don't you dismantle things in a clear plastic bag? If something goes ping it stays in the bag.

This is a seriously good idea, Titan, and I will be doing it in future.  Of course, I'll then lose the bag...

The other one that puzzles me is "the teaspoon in the washing up bowl". No matter how carefully you finish washing all the items from the bowl, the second you tip the dirty water away, clatter a teaspoon appears from nowhere in the sink.

The only thing worse than comething pinging off on to the floor is the something that vanishes. I made up a pair of Dingham couplings, yesterday. They were on the bench and then I did some other stuff. I then went in the house to fetch the loco to which the couplings were going to be fitted and came back to find that there's only one coupling on the bench.

At least if I knew that it had gone on the floor I could just look there but it could be anywhere - the shed floor, somewhere on the bench, or it could have been snagged on a sleeve and fallen off in the garden or anywhere in the house. I know it's quicker to make up another one than look for the lost one but my Yorkhireness keeps telling me that I paid good money for that coupling and ought to look for it.

And not only that but the day before I lost a Stanley knife. I mean, a Stanley knife isn't so small that you can't see it on the floor but I've looked everywhere in the shed and garage and it's vanished, simply vanished. Like an old oak table...

• RMweb Gold

The only thing worse than comething pinging off on to the floor is the something that vanishes. I made up a pair of Dingham couplings, yesterday. They were on the bench and then I did some other stuff. I then went in the house to fetch the loco to which the couplings were going to be fitted and came back to find that there's only one coupling on the bench.

At least if I knew that it had gone on the floor I could just look there but it could be anywhere - the shed floor, somewhere on the bench, or it could have been snagged on a sleeve and fallen off in the garden or anywhere in the house. I know it's quicker to make up another one than look for the lost one but my Yorkhireness keeps telling me that I paid good money for that coupling and ought to look for it.

And not only that but the day before I lost a Stanley knife. I mean, a Stanley knife isn't so small that you can't see it on the floor but I've looked everywhere in the shed and garage and it's vanished, simply vanished. Like an old oak table...

Yes, it's a absolute barsteward. I once lost a pair of sidecutters on an installation in Bournemouth. They were good cutters too; I'd had them since my apprentice days.  So, off I went, buy a second pair:- lost those as well..Third pair, 4th pair.... Hmmmm. 

5 years later, and back to Bournemouth on a service call. Part of the job involved me paring back some wire. Without thinking, I reached up, and picked up my (old) sidecutters....

• Like 3

You lost a table???   :O

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure that some items must have an invisibility cloak. Otherwise how does something seem to disappear and then suddenly reappear in its usual place when you've stopped looking for it.

Well spotted Phil. Your invisibility Cloak is one of the lesser-known factors of the Incidence of Ping.

I’ve observed previously that if I could locate all of the kit components that had entered orbit around my workbench I’d have enough bits to assemble a complete locomotive. It would, however, be something akin to Johnny Cash’s Cadillac.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dr Dava's verdict, after exhaustive research, is that the "Carpet Monster" is a Post-Modern Neo-Liberal Post-Colonial Trans-Gendered construct, and doesn't actually exist. It's a view in line with the latest academic thinking. I hope that helps.

Alternatively, you could buy a rag rug and have it under the work area, if anything drops onto it, shake it carefully over the vinyl floor surface. Or buy a jeweller's apron. Do Squire's sell these yet?

Or just make 3 of whatever you need 2 of. I wish I had....

• Like 2

And here was me thinking these were necessary sacrifices to the Floor Fairies. 

In my deluded attempt to get the one up on them, I can now call a halt to my morning ritual of firing fistfuls of whitemetal axleboxes, leafsprings, and coupling hooks carpetward. Plus, it hurts my sockless foot when trod on.

RM.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Carpet monster? My workshop is in a room off my garage. We’re in Northwest Florida, so some wildlife does get into and lives in dark corners of my workshop. So far, no snakes thank heavens (if I found one I’d be in the next state in three minutes flat), but many lizards from tiny anoles to bigger (five inch) skinks. I’m convinced that these guys behave like ‘borrowers’ and spirit items away.

So, Railway reptiles.post-2283-0-76158100-1534899937_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8