Bashing Bachmann MK1s

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

We need a MK1 BFK in 4mm - bashing other Bachmann coaches to get the right configuration looks the best bet. An FK and a BSK look suitable donors but is going to need at least 4 cuts and 3 shuts - that BFK Brake area is a pain....

Would those who have already gone down this road have words of wisdom to share please? 

Many thanks

Phil

Hi all

We need a MK1 BFK in 4mm - bashing other Bachmann coaches to get the right configuration looks the best bet. An FK and a BSK look suitable donors but is going to need at least 4 cuts and 3 shuts - that BFK Brake area is a pain....

Would those who have already gone down this road have words of wisdom to share please?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Not done a BFK but as you know I have done a BSO, some tips which maybe useful;

-Start with donor carriages in the correct colour for your end model, the window bars are a pain to repaint

-Use a Mitre block to get the joins straight, it will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

- Be prepared for Hornby or Bachmann to announce a BFK 6 months after you finish your model.

Good luck!!

Edited by 37114
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Rob - like the mitre block suggestion!

Reckon I'm safe with BFK - its pretty rare, but was used on Motorail trains in our era...

Going for maroon, so can recycle some oldies we have lurking

Phil

Cheers David

Suspect at least one large malt whisky will be required before I start wielding the razor saw...

Phil

Think of all the spin off projects you can make with the bits Phil!. I used 2 BSK's to make 1 BSO, then used some of the remains to make the first 20% of a coach for part of the backscene on Peafore Yard, while I am now making a Steam Heating van with the spare brake coach offcuts...

Hi all

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Here are my various Mk1 cut and shuts which I did last year and yet need painting, I got bored and started on some DMU's, Freightliners and Presflos instead.

I'm not sure how useful these photos will because the coaches have been sanded down and the joints are quite difficult to see but they are there. The BFK was made form the non corridor side of Hornby composites and the Hornby BSO which was shunted along. The other cut and shuts are an FO, FK, SO/SK and BG. The RMB and SLEP are standard but the unusual is the Leyland coach made from Hornby 142 bodies which I have attached for interest.

post-34584-0-14570300-1534800906_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-11531700-1534800986_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-67723600-1534801024_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-07482000-1534801106_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-78979300-1534801450_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-49493500-1534801338_thumb.jpg

Gibbo.

• Like 7

Ambitious programme there - many thanks for sharing!

What adhesive did you use - and did you reinforce the shuts with plasticard?

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

It certainly is ambitious, I've 39 Mk1's to get through and that's before I start on a similar number of Mk2's.

As for the cut and shuts they are glued together with Revel Contacta Proffesional (except that I'm an amateur) making sure that the pieces fit up as well as I can get them to by filling to fit and arranging them along a steel straight edge.

When I glue them I rub the joint, that is I press the pieces together and then move them up and down before aligning the top edge of the sections with the steel straight edge on a flat surface. One thing to look out for is that the sections are sometimes slightly different in depth and so I shim them up using bits of paper so that they present a flat surface on the coach side without any steps.

I don't use any reinforcing however I do glue the sides to the ends and the under frame with the rebate in the roof section taking care of the top edge.

Gibbo.

Ambitious programme there - many thanks for sharing!

What adhesive did you use - and did you reinforce the shuts with plasticard?

Cheers

Phil

I found out I needed to reinforce the joins, I broke one of the joins on mine during painting so ended up repairing then reinforcing the joins.

You actually need an FK and 1.1/2 BSKs because you end up two brake windows short with a BSK. Having made a BFK for Kirkhill I thought afterwards that using an FK and a BG would be a cheaper option as you have enough spare brake windows in the BG. The problem is that you don't get the Guard's door/passenger door combination in the BG.

Yes there is a fair amount of cut and shut, six pieces per side, but by lining the sides up to a steel rule then everything should remain square. Below are a few photos from the Kirkhill thread from when I was making the BFK. The measurements were crudely taken from the BR General Arrangement drawing in Parkin but once you have scaled down to 1:76 they won't be too far off. As you can see in the first photo I made an error in my measurements and had to insert a strip of plastikard. I always use EMA plastic weld and I'm pretty sure there was some reinforcing on the inside but I can't look at the coach as it is with the Kirkhill fleet (and I won't want to take it apart anyway!).

BSK side at the top, BFK below

post-7112-0-70725000-1534841154.jpg

BSK (with missing brake van windows) and BFK (temporary imitation glazing from cellotape!)

post-7112-0-38954100-1534841173.jpg

Completed BFK

post-7112-0-79753600-1534841173_thumb.jpg

Be very careful with the roof vent positions. Only the final batch, 14023 - 14027, had them in one row for the passenger area like mine, all the other batches had them in two rows on the roof.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Phil,

Here are my various Mk1 cut and shuts which I did last year and yet need painting, I got bored and started on some DMU's, Freightliners and Presflos instead.

I'm not sure how useful these photos will because the coaches have been sanded down and the joints are quite difficult to see but they are there. The BFK was made form the non corridor side of Hornby composites and the Hornby BSO which was shunted along. The other cut and shuts are an FO, FK, SO/SK and BG. The RMB and SLEP are standard but the unusual is the Leyland coach made from Hornby 142 bodies which I have attached for interest.

attachicon.gifDSCF0353.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0354.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0355.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0356.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0357.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0358.JPG

Gibbo.

Some very good work here.

Could you post some more details of the Leyland coach construction please, or a link if you have already posted it on this forum.?

Chris.

• RMweb Gold

You actually need an FK and 1.1/2 BSKs because you end up two brake windows short with a BSK. Having made a BFK for Kirkhill I thought afterwards that using an FK and a BG would be a cheaper option as you have enough spare brake windows in the BG. The problem is that you don't get the Guard's door/passenger door combination in the BG.

Yes there is a fair amount of cut and shut, six pieces per side, but by lining the sides up to a steel rule then everything should remain square. Below are a few photos from the Kirkhill thread from when I was making the BFK. The measurements were crudely taken from the BR General Arrangement drawing in Parkin but once you have scaled down to 1:76 they won't be too far off. As you can see in the first photo I made an error in my measurements and had to insert a strip of plastikard. I always use EMA plastic weld and I'm pretty sure there was some reinforcing on the inside but I can't look at the coach as it is with the Kirkhill fleet (and I won't want to take it apart anyway!).

BSK side at the top, BFK below

attachicon.gifMk1 BFK.JPG

BSK (with missing brake van windows) and BFK (temporary imitation glazing from cellotape!)

attachicon.gifMk1 BFK (2).JPG

Completed BFK

attachicon.gifMk1 BFK (3).JPG

Be very careful with the roof vent positions. Only the final batch, 14023 - 14027, had them in one row for the passenger area like mine, all the other batches had them in two rows on the roof.

Thanks Flood 

In the interests of economy looking at getting the BFK out of an FK and a single BSK - might mean some filling and creating that extra small window in the brake compartment...

Greater courage (+malt whisky) required but cost effective....

Thanks for heads up on roof vents - and looking at underframe looks like just a case of shifting the guards footsteps...

Phil

• RMweb Gold

So here we go - rough mark out

Compartment side

post-7138-0-03335400-1535483033_thumb.jpg

Corridor side

post-7138-0-83649100-1535483048_thumb.jpg

Sections as follows:

A - loo and 4 compartments comes from FK,

B - vestibule and guards door from BSk with first small window 

C - second small windows and luggage doors, X is where third small window needs to go

D - end of luggage compartment will need smoothing and filling to hide doors

Total 253mm long according to my measurement so intention is to cut generously where possible and reduce as required - although corridor side is tight between last compartment window and middle vestibule door 

Wish me luck!

Phil

post-7138-0-03335400-1535483033_thumb.jpg

post-7138-0-83649100-1535483048_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 3

So here we go - rough mark out

Compartment side

DSC01066.JPG

Corridor side

DSC01067.JPG

Sections as follows:

A - loo and 4 compartments comes from FK,

B - vestibule and guards door from BSk with first small window

C - second small windows and luggage doors, X is where third small window needs to go

D - end of luggage compartment will need smoothing and filling to hide doors

Total 253mm long according to my measurement so intention is to cut generously where possible and reduce as required - although corridor side is tight between last compartment window and middle vestibule door

Wish me luck!

Phil

The bravery begins!

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievable! Tonights progress....corridor side

post-7138-0-68488100-1535489816_thumb.jpg

Just a bit more filler needed at the brake end where widow has been filled in - and third small window needs adding

Pass the Auchentoshan!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Think of all the spin off projects you can make with the bits Phil!. I used 2 BSK's to make 1 BSO, then used some of the remains to make the first 20% of a coach for part of the backscene on Peafore Yard, while I am now making a Steam Heating van with the spare brake coach offcuts...

Cheers Rob

And wagon loads of scrap - the warship bits in the 16 tonners always attract comment, some coach bits could do likewise....

Spare bogies useful too - wagon loads possibly on those nice new TMC plate wagons...

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So after several passes with the squadron putty and wet and dry - sides are good to go except small wondow needed in compartment side

Interior has been cut and shut - retained vestibule wall in BSK to form rear of 4th compartment, cut and shut in luggage compartment to get correct length

Using roof from FK so fixings align for half the length of the coach , suspect will end up gluing sides to roof. Currently stripping to remove ribs and ventillators prior to refitting in correct configuration - Flood's sage advice above noted!

Anyone got any recommendations for the vents?

Phil

Anyone got any recommendations for the vents?

Phil

MJT

http://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2942.php

for ridge ventilators (14000 - 14022).

Positions as below:

post-7112-0-20301700-1535888234_thumb.jpg

As an aside, Phil, I was wondering which year and train you were modelling for the Motorail. I'm guessing around 1970 and it being the Sutton Coldfield - Newton Abbot. In which case it is booked LM stock and the allocations (and approximate livery details from 1970-71) are shown below:

post-7112-0-71480500-1535889806_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

See PM Flood - with picture. Sorry bit cant post it here as not my copyright

D1547 heads Newton Abbot - Newton le Willows through Cheltenham

First vehicle BFK

IIRC diagram says catering vehicle should be an RF bit that looks like an RU to me....

Also meant to say....trial assembly this afternoon, a few bits to tidy before the reveal....

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

IIRC diagram says catering vehicle should be an RF bit that looks like an RU to me....

I concur. :yes: A late build with underframe water tanks (as made by Bachmann in blue and grey).

Edited by Flood

• RMweb Gold

I concur. :yes: A late build with underframe water tanks (as made by Bachmann in blue and grey).

Cheers! SO what did you make of the BFK? Looking at the roof detail is that one of the 140xx batch? Cant see any periscopes either - and is that a roof top water filler at the brake end?

Squadron filler not robust so gone over to milliput to fill in window....

Phil

Cheers! SO what did you make of the BFK? Looking at the roof detail is that one of the 140xx batch? Cant see any periscopes either - and is that a roof top water filler at the brake end?

Squadron filler not robust so gone over to milliput to fill in window....

Phil

Definitely one of the first four batches with the vents across the roof as per the drawing above. You can't see the bogies so I can't split it down any more than that. At the brake end I reckon it is the last roof vent (shown on the drawing above) with the distance foreshortened.

I have found this image though:

http://dieselimagegallery.com/gallery/5the1970s/1630-1-S.jpg

It states 1M36 as Stirling - Newton le Willows but I haven't got any Working Timetables from that era to be able to clarify this point. Again, no periscopes and, although difficult to tell, the bogies appear to have leaf springs so would be BR1s. That would mean the batch of 14002 - 14011. In this photo there is an RB in the rake so basically any catering car with seating will do.

Some slightly bad news, though, is this:

post-7112-0-66281400-1536020398.jpg

which means you will need two BFKs not one! I reckon that there is another maroon one before the carflats in your photo. Of course rule 1 can always apply.

Edited by Flood