Bashing Bachmann MK1s

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thats a lorra lorra sections Clive!

What was wrong with an SO or SK? (Delete as appropriate)

Phil

Hi Phil

Tri-ang never made one and when making a DMU or EMU I try to have all the coaches from one manufacturer for consistency. And it was fun trying to make it. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Phil

Tri-ang never made one and when making a DMU or EMU I try to have all the coaches from one manufacturer for consistency. And it was fun trying to make it. 

Ah that makes sense!  Final livery?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Phil Bullock said:

Ah that makes sense!  Final livery?

Phil

The train will be painted in multiple unit green with yellow lining and a yellow warning panel. The coach numbers might be pre-fixed with NE as they were in the mid sixties.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Triangs are so cheap on Ebay as well, buy a few, modify window size, a few Replica bits and they are fine, got a RMB and BG in one set. Detailing a BSK and making a TSO for my GWR150 set.

If you forget the Triang frames and use Replica glazing they are easy to cut and shut.

Treat them like a kit or scratch aid and all is OK

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’m looking to create a Mk 1 BFK in O gauge for my early 1980s West Highland line layout. So I thought I’d reopen this thread to ask for thoughts. I’m wondering about bashing some sides which Darstead sell separately. Has anyone considered doing this by merging an FK and BSO. The BSO brake end seems to have the correct door configuration but is slightly too short (c. 2 feet I think). 

I’d be grateful for any thoughts.

Regards

Andy

• Like 1

On 24/06/2022 at 00:12, thegreenhowards said:

I’m looking to create a Mk 1 BFK in O gauge for my early 1980s West Highland line layout. So I thought I’d reopen this thread to ask for thoughts. I’m wondering about bashing some sides which Darstead sell separately. Has anyone considered doing this by merging an FK and BSO. The BSO brake end seems to have the correct door configuration but is slightly too short (c. 2 feet I think). 

I’d be grateful for any thoughts.

Regards

Andy

Evening Andy, I'm currently slowly going through adding transfers to my tri ang bashed mk1s and have done a bfk. It's a while since I chopped it but as near as I can remember it was the 1st class spaced windows from a ck, plus another couple spaced for 1st and then I cut up brake ends as well to give the correct door configuration. Mostly done as best guess but I think I may have ballsed up and got an extra window in the no toilet side?20220601_124214.thumb.jpg.dab24eb42fccc26e891cad8dd30b8ef0.jpg20211106_225717.thumb.jpg.59891f4792b793ef4490996bfb1c5864.jpg

Managed to dig out the pic I took before fulling and painting, hope it gives you some idea of the cuts? Probably easier starting with an fk like you suggest. Also I'm sure Clive will be along soon to give you some pointers.

cheers

James

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning James,

Thanks for the images and your experience. That’s a lot of cuts. If I was trying that many, I think I’d have to use old Lima Mk 1s as the Darstead sides are brass (and expensive!). They only did a CK and a BSK so my options would be limited but I’m sure it’s do-able.

Your windows look OK to me. I await with interest someone telling you what you’ve got wrong so I don’t make the same mistake!

Cheers

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

Morning James,

Thanks for the images and your experience. That’s a lot of cuts. If I was trying that many, I think I’d have to use old Lima Mk 1s as the Darstead sides are brass (and expensive!). They only did a CK and a BSK so my options would be limited but I’m sure it’s do-able.

Your windows look OK to me. I await with interest someone telling you what you’ve got wrong so I don’t make the same mistake!

Cheers

Andy

Cheers Andy, the sides are at my house for the transfers but all the cuts were done up at my Dads at the bench n I did have the plans out so I think they are OK but I'm sure I googled a pic n spotted I'd maybe got an extra one one side...

As you can probably tell we did a load of chops from tri ang Hornby stuff so we had plenty of bits to make up the variations, raw materials were cks and bsks too so I'm sure you could do the same from some Lima ones, however I think they will be rooves and sides moulded together if they are like the oo ones so maybe more work?

Good luck on the project, be interesting to see it

Cheers

James