SCALEFORUM 2018

Decapod

No I didn't. This was because I don't know the organiser and seeking him out seemed to be a bit gratuitous. I did tell a Society VP who is a good mate.

The alternative being, it may be a little gratuitous to post minor criticism on RM web without first enquiring for rationales & explanations from the society.

There is a multitude of reasons why some traders attend (or are invited to attend) and others do not. Same with layouts but with the added proviso that large portable P4 layouts available are very much in the minority. I would imagine there would be plenty of moans if the same layouts were seen year in year out. The choice of layouts being exhibited can be quite emotive to some with the annual selections appealing to some more that others. That's the nature of the beast.

I find your comment about the hall being laid out in an untidy fashion interesting. Could you explain in a little more depth please. To me the floor plan seems quite logical and laid out in a similar manner to years past.

​I guess it mainly boils down to "One mans meat being another mans poison".

P

I see in the current issue of Scalefour News that 66 members have allowed their subscription to lapse. The above post might offer an insight into why

Yet the total membership is only down a total of 18 38* on the year since June 2017. We are continually being told that the finer scale end of the hobby is for older gentlemen and I would argue that the loss of those eighteen members has nothing to do with the quality of the exhibits, demonstrators, traders, car parking location, venue etc., etc., at the annual showcase. 

*Typo corrected.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

As a unrepentant OO modeller I still enjoy going to Scaleforum.  This year's was definitely a bit different though, certainly much quieter than previous years at Stoke Mandeville.  The emphasis on demonstrations gave the event even more of a feeling of a members gathering than normal.  I hasten to add that's not a criticism at all.  Along with Flying Pig, I had some very useful, helpful, thought provoking chats with exhibitors.  Particular thanks go to 5050 of this parish for his advice (I didn't mention the OO bit!) and Allan Goodwillie from the Beginners at Work for his explanation of lightweight baseboards.

Ralph

Lambton58

• RMweb Gold

I told SWMBO I was just popping out for a cauliflower.

I didn't see you there, although I didn't get there till about 2pm.

As a committed OO modeller I thoroughly enjoyed it, picked up lots of bits I needed and spoke to those I needed to, I'd certainly pop in again.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I see in the current issue of Scalefour News that 66 members have allowed their subscription to lapse. The above post might offer an insight into why

I don't know the membership numbers of the Scalefour society, but as a membership secretary of a line society and in discussion with other mem secs, 10-15% subscription lapse is par for the course.  It's quite usual for those who lapse to sign up when they realise the next newsletter/journal hasn't arrived.

We only take note of the numbers you finish the year with.

I must remember to rejoin the IRRS at some stage.....

post-6879-0-62392700-1537731298_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-39051100-1537731410_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-56179100-1537731549_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-93337300-1537731668_thumb.jpg

The Worsley Works etches for the NCC/UTA "WT" tank are available - and "de Selby" of this Forum has already started on them!! - but the chassis is not done yet:

post-6879-0-33199700-1537731871_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-09853900-1537732002_thumb.jpg

This has had its last public run (just like the real thing),as there's no test track next year:

post-6879-0-07619900-1537732176_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The loco on the left in the first and second pictures had working inside motion.  A First Class piece of workmanship.

That wasn't the only one: all the blue ones had working inside motion as well.....

What was the leccy loco on the other end, Ivan?

It was the SBB Re6/6, running as a nod to "Re6/6" of this forum

I didn't see you there, although I didn't get there till about 2pm.

As a committed OO modeller I thoroughly enjoyed it, picked up lots of bits I needed and spoke to those I needed to, I'd certainly pop in again.

I went on Saturday while SWMBO was having a girls' day in with her friends (boys not allowed).

The Cauliflower, enough alignment dowels for all my planned boards and various odds and ends made it my most expensive Scaleforum!

Although not quite all the odds and ends I needed - as Alanis Morrisette might have said...

Isn't it ironic

That you go to Scaleforum

And then the next day find you've run out of 9' brake gear.

Must start up the Willington thread again!

Edited by sharris

I was there both days, sporting a name badge as the Scalefour Society both encourages and facilitates yet not making contact with, or even spotting, anywhere near as many familiar names as I had hoped and, in one embarrassing case, having a much apppreciated conversation with a fellow RMwebber whose name I just could not recall.  Long ago it became apparent that I could not see or do everything in one day so I stay for the weekend.  I leave the bring and buy stand until after the plague of locusts has made off with the best bargains, picking over the carrion in search of useful items that others had overlooked.  I admire the craftsmanship of the layout builders, glean ideas from the demonstrators, top up stocks of essential supplies from the well-chosen trade presence and have many useful and valuable conversations, by no means all on the subject of railways because we all have things other than railways on our minds, don't we?  It is not the place for gourmet dining but putting the world to rights over a cuppa is quite a common activity.  You can even vote for the best layout.  Once agin my choice was a runner-up but knowing that one is right can be so satisfying.

Chris  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A small party (10800, CK and Taz) from DRAG were there with our test track which which was at times well patronized. We had our usual guest in the form of Ivan ('Horsetan') with his variety of H0 delights running which rather flatteringly included a lovely Roco Re6/6. No references this time to Herr Honnecker!

There were several highlights which included 'Prof' Ted Scannell with some wonderful radio controlled locos which astounded everybody (all above my understanding!).

Also some painstakingly constructed 'Mitchell' and 'Finney' locos. Some of which had exquisite working inside motion.

Altogether a fine social time was had by our small group and a big thankyou to Terry and his team for another good show with fine modelling on display.

Up first are some indifferent quality snaps from a cameraphone of 'Cadhay Sidings' with astonishingly good scenics. To me that main things of note was the realistic confluence of the waters (never seen that modelled before) and the subtly different shades of green used for the trees. So often one sees some good scenics slightly marred by the use of all one shade of green flock.

'Cadhay Sidings' 

post-6728-0-76247200-1537776493_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-14498700-1537776522_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-78939400-1537776609_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-81050500-1537776741_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-83465300-1537776778_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-36450700-1537776894_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-27586300-1537776823_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

One of the highlights for me was seeing Peter Denny's work in the flesh, which despite the years still shows a complete meld of concept and execution. And he didn't have access to all the products we nowadays take almost for granted.

And there was even a guest operator late on Saturday from this very forum .....

(sorry the pic is skewed - can't work out how to upright it)

post-659-0-60344900-1537780979_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

One of the highlights for me was seeing Peter Denny's work in the flesh, which despite the years still shows a complete meld of concept and execution. And he didn't have access to all the products we nowadays take almost for granted.

And there was even a guest operator late on Saturday from this very forum .....

Er…..

*blushes*