SCALEFORUM 2018

Decapod

Yes, I know I'm in the guide but I'm not mentioned on the webpage linked in post 22 above.

The words in the guide are Terry's.  I'm just going to sit and chat about being plain and simple - which shouldn't be to difficult seeing as how I've had a lifetime's experience.

BTW - how long is 'a reasonable time'?

Does that not depend on the number of driving / driven wheels the chassis requires?

Gordon A

Does that not depend on the number of driving / driven wheels the chassis requires?

Gordon A

Any number between and including 4 and 6.  Anything more is not simple - and can be developed to include outside valve gear etc.

Why - apart from being born across a field from an appropriate mainline - do you think I model (small) GWR and Industrial locos?

As long as it runs on 16.5mm or 18.83mm (approx) gauge track, you will be able to run it.

If it's of a different gauge to the above and you haven't brought your own track, then we will be able to admire it over a hot beverage.

Can I bring Hercules for a run on the test track? It hasn't run more than 6 feet since I built it.

post-494-0-03709600-1537216685.jpg

• Like 4

If there weren't enough excuses to go to Scaleforum already, here is another........

I am pleased to announce the forthcoming publication of volume 3 of my father's series on railway cranes. Advanced copies of this have just arrived from the publishers and  will be formally launched at Scaleforum with my father in attendance if you want to speak to him. This will be on the Crecy book stand along with a selection of their books (including volumes 1 & 2 if you haven't got these).

For this volume we move away from breakdown cranes to permanent way cranes. This is a big topic and has even less standardisation than breakdown cranes (and there ain't much in that!). Thus the book is not intended to be a comprehensive review of all such cranes but rather more a review of the main types and development of them.

post-7769-0-40357700-1537218629_thumb.jpg

The book covers from the relatively early days (given the scarcity of material on early cranes, this is a slightly relative concept) upto the contemporary Kirov cranes.

If you can't make it to Scaleforum, then it can be ordered via your preferred bookseller or direct from Crecy http://www.crecy.co.uk/railway-cranes-3.

The one book in the series that is still to be done is one of cranes mounted on engines. My father does not feel that he knows enough to write this one so if there are any that feel that they (or collectively) know sufficient, I know a publisher that would be interested.............. (PS this is not a mikey take, it would be great to finish the story!).

Mark

Can I bring Hercules for a run on the test track? It hasn't run more than 6 feet since I built it.

attachicon.gifHercules_web3.jpg

That looks rather lovely :-)

Of course you can bring it along for the test track.  You'll be amazed at how much easier a locomotive runs when it has done multiple laps.  I put my E22 0-6-0 on the loop for some sessions at last year's Scaleforum and was really pleased with how much smoother and quieter it was at the end.

And of course there are plenty of demostrators there to help with any questions that you may have...

One word of caution - make sure that your crank-pin nuts are really secure!  The prolonged running in one direction can make them loosen, and fall off.  Then you'll have a "rod off" and risk some damage.  A little dab of nail polish (clear, that is, not pink and glitterly) works well for me.  Yes, this is a DAMHIK ;-)

Cheers

Flymo

• Like 1

If you visit Scaleforum this weekend and are inspired by what you see and learn then why not consider joining the Scalefour Society whilst you are at the show?

Scaleforum presents a good opportunity to join our friendly and informative Society at a reduced membership rate and receive extra “goodies” as well!

Our normal yearly membership rate is £26 (plus a Postal Supplement if you live outside of the UK) but if you come to Scaleforum as a visitor admission then you can join the Society for the remainder of our 2018/19 Membership Year at a reduced normal rate of only £17.

You will receive a New Member Pack, containing helpful information including copies of all the current years Scalefour News, the Scalefour Handbook on CD and our “Moving to P4” booklet. In addition you’ll get a Back Number Pack with some more previous copies Scalefour News to enjoy.

Note: This offer only applies to visitors joining at Scaleforum on 22nd or 23rd September 2018 who have paid the non-member admission rate.

This is only just the start as membership opens up lots of other benefits to help and inspire you.

post-4064-0-04200200-1537347747_thumb.jpeg

So if you are interested in joining or want to know more or just say “hello” then you will receive a very friendly welcome on the Society Stand. We look forward to seeing you.

All the best.

Steve Carter

Membership Secretary

• Like 2

I'll be going on Sunday as I have other things to do on Saturday and will drive instead of going by train from Marylebone as usual.  The train arrival times and bus departure times are not helpful.  Trains arrive at Aylesbury at XX:53 hrs and XX:19Hrs whilst the one bus service on Sundays leaves the bus station at XX:05 hrs.  There is no dedicated bus service to the stadium this year. 

Peterfgf

AFAIK, there is a standard £3:00 taxi fare within Aylesbury, including to the Stadium. While dearer than a bus ride, it is at least not too expensive, especially if several users get together.

Exhibition visitors can often be identified by wearing a rucksack, being elegantly dressed, well groomed, lithe and slim of body, so it should;d be possible to find a fellow traveller or two at the station.

• RMweb Gold

Exhibition visitors can often be identified by wearing a rucksack, being elegantly dressed, well groomed, lithe and slim of body, so it should;d be possible to find a fellow traveller or two at the station.

Oh Jol, you are such a tease!

You know not all of us have rucksacks.

• RMweb Premium

Leighton Buzzard has been set up, checked over and is working just fine!

Now let's load it into a car and bounce the ancient soldered joints around for a couple of hours tomorrow and see if it still in good nick when we get there.

It will be a bit of a special show for us as I understand that it will be the first time an EM gauge layout has appeared as a guest layout at Scaleforum.

I am really looking forward to it and if anybody wants to bring an 18.83mm track gauge along, I am sure we will find that it fits in one or two places on the layout. The gauge was always a bit approximate.

Please come and say hello and if anybody wants a "play", we are happy for guest operators to drive a train or two.

Tony  

• Like 1

AFAIK, there is a standard £3:00 taxi fare within Aylesbury, including to the Stadium.

I think it has been £3.50 for a goodly number of years. The receptionist at the Olympic lodge has the number of the taxi firm that uses this standard tariff.

The only downside is you may experience a delay in the taxi's arrival if it's Ramadan and around dusk. (Coincided with Railex this year).

P

• RMweb Gold

"Now let's load it into a car and bounce the ancient soldered joints around for a couple of hours tomorrow and see if it still in good nick when we get there."

Of course it will. Think positive waves!

Greatly looking forward to seeing it.

Edited by Re6/6

"Now let's load it into a car and bounce the ancient soldered joints around for a couple of hours tomorrow and see if it still in good nick when we get there."

Of course it will....

I don't think they had much lead-free solder back then, so they should be alright*

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they had much lead-free solder back then, so they should be alright*

It is the wires that move on the sliding switches that fall off. Many years of wiggling backwards and forwards isn't good for old wires that never had the flux cleaned off them.

That and the rail being soldered to steel pins, some of which have gone rusty.

At least if anything does break, it is usually an easy fix. Last time out, at Ally Pally, we went the whole weekend with no problems at all, so fingers are well and truly crossed!

Any faults won't be for lack of time spent preparing for the show. The old thing gets plenty of TLC, as do the locos and the rolling stock. 

If you visit Scaleforum this weekend and are inspired by what you see and learn then why not consider joining the Scalefour Society whilst you are at the show?

Scaleforum presents a good opportunity to join our friendly and informative Society at a reduced membership rate and receive extra “goodies” as well!

Our normal yearly membership rate is £26 (plus a Postal Supplement if you live outside of the UK) but if you come to Scaleforum as a visitor admission then you can join the Society for the remainder of our 2018/19 Membership Year at a reduced normal rate of only £17.

You will receive a New Member Pack, containing helpful information including copies of all the current years Scalefour News, the Scalefour Handbook on CD and our “Moving to P4” booklet. In addition you’ll get a Back Number Pack with some more previous copies Scalefour News to enjoy.

Note: This offer only applies to visitors joining at Scaleforum on 22nd or 23rd September 2018 who have paid the non-member admission rate.

This is only just the start as membership opens up lots of other benefits to help and inspire you.

attachicon.gif1B775F1E-899A-41AB-A712-4336DFAC104F.jpeg

So if you are interested in joining or want to know more or just say “hello” then you will receive a very friendly welcome on the Society Stand. We look forward to seeing you.

All the best.

Steve Carter

Membership Secretary

The Membership Stand is loaded and I will be heading off soon to Aylesbury to help set-up.

Looking forward to a cracking weekend and I hope to see many of you there.

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the show, although I still need to work out what what I am going to take with me.  Probably another batch of CDAs to improve...

Its been a while since I last made it, so will be good to catch up with people (and of course finally buy a set of rolling bars.)

I will be on the DEMU stand on Saturday.