Fertiliser trains

TravisM

On 22/01/2019 at 21:23, Phil Bullock said:

The UKF PWAs appeared 68 - many thanks Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ukfvan

There was an Ince and Elton to Plymouth - 6V35 and back from Bridgewater - 6M54 in the 71/72 wtt.

The earliest evidence I can find of the UKF PWAs on these workings is 1974....https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/querycorner/page.htm?id=query/Q16.04 - photos seem rare!

So can anyone advise please when the PWAs appeared - and what was used on this traffic before their appearance ? Was it vent vans?

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Looking at the PWAs on Paul's site, if you go to page 4 there are some with a blue star-like symbols at the right side. This is described as the UKF symbol, but is identical to the Royal Bank of Scotland symbol. I was wondering what the connection is?

For comparison, the bank symbol can be seen here.

13 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

Looking at the PWAs on Paul's site, if you go to page 4 there are some with a blue star-like symbols at the right side. This is described as the UKF symbol, but is identical to the Royal Bank of Scotland symbol. I was wondering what the connection is?

For comparison, the bank symbol can be seen here.

Was it due to the leasing arrangements?

Some of the other wagons, with the LS number prefix, have the Lloyds bank horse and a thistle in a similar position and I believe LS stands for Lloyds and Scottish.

1 minute ago, giz said:

Was it due to the leasing arrangements?

Some of the other wagons, with the LS number prefix, have the Lloyds bank horse and a thistle in a similar position and I believe LS stands for Lloyds and Scottish.

I know they were leased by Lloyds and Scottish, but I am not aware of any connection from them to Royal bank of Scotland.

2 minutes ago, F2Andy said:

I know they were leased by Lloyds and Scottish, but I am not aware of any connection from them to Royal bank of Scotland.

It's definitely the RBS symbol though, isn't it. Some of the same batch seem to have the Procor symbol there instead.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Out of interest, does anyone have any photos of the unloading depots/sheds from the 80s? I’m sure I’ve seen some in the past but can’t really find much online and am modelling a small/medium unloading facility.

Many Thanks

1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Out of interest, does anyone have any photos of the unloading depots/sheds from the 80s? I’m sure I’ve seen some in the past but can’t really find much online and am modelling a small/medium unloading facility.

Many Thanks

Googling 'Andover' , 'Carmarthen Jct' or 'Bridgewater' should produce something. My recollection is of single-span buildings clad in 'asbestos' corrugated sheet (normally the ones with wider corrugations). IIRC, in some cases the sheeting wasn't full-height, but started a few feet off the ground.

I just found a link to an end-on view of Andover, which has been comprehensively rebuilt:-

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/939880

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SHerr said:

Many Thanks

When working for BR I went down to the UKF terminal at Bridgwater a few times in the early 1980s, and took a few photos, they are on my Flickr site which is linked below.

The agents at Bridgwater who handled the unloading and storage were M Thomas who also looked after the depot at Plymouth Friary. They also acted as agents for BR to load and unload other Speedlink traffic, some of my photos show their forklift truck at work unloading VGAs of adipic acid from ICI Wilton, and cider was another regular traffic handled at Bridgwater, while I think bricks were loaded in OCAs from Plymouth Friary.

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all for the various replies and some goods links to pages I don’t think I’ve seen before from Rivercider. I think it’s been a case of a few subtle extra words into Google over what I’ve searched before.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I worked at Shellstar/UKF/Kemira for 40 years.

It's latest owners have recently closed the site, but it was a long time ago when they stopped using 50 kg bags.

The pallets for road transport had 18 bags on, reduced to 15 bags to fit in the railcars.

600kg and 1 tonne bags came into use which had to be lowered into open wagons.

The track from Ince to Mouldsworth junction was lifted many years ago followed by the track inside the factory.

Class 47's were a common sight and occasionally a pair of class 20's would turn up.

In the early days phosphoric acid was imported by rail and ammonia was exported by rail, I don't recall seeing any models of those.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

15 hours ago, dudley perkins said:

I worked at Shellstar/UKF/Kemira for 40 years.

It's latest owners have recently closed the site, but it was a long time ago when they stopped using 50 kg bags.

The pallets for road transport had 18 bags on, reduced to 15 bags to fit in the railcars.

600kg and 1 tonne bags came into use which had to be lowered into open wagons.

The track from Ince to Mouldsworth junction was lifted many years ago followed by the track inside the factory.

Class 47's were a common sight and occasionally a pair of class 20's would turn up.

In the early days phosphoric acid was imported by rail and ammonia was exported by rail, I don't recall seeing any models of those.

I think the phosphoric acid to Ince & Elton came from ISC Chemicals at Hallen Marsh. A block train ran about

once a week when I joined Bristol TOPS in October 1978, but ceased within a year or two - locally referred to by some as the phosacid tanks.

cheers 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2021 at 14:59, giz said:

It's definitely the RBS symbol though, isn't it. Some of the same batch seem to have the Procor symbol there instead.

I remember the logo being used on branches of Williams & Glyn's Bank in the 1970's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_%26_Glyn's_Bank

My parents had an account with them in Brighton, with perforated cards to use in the A.T.M.s that were returned with the monthly bank statement.  Sorry, this is rather Off-topic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, C126 said:

I remember the logo being used on branches of Williams & Glyn's Bank in the 1970's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_%26_Glyn's_Bank

My parents had an account with them in Brighton, with perforated cards to use in the A.T.M.s that were returned with the monthly bank statement.  Sorry, this is rather Off-topic.

There have been numerous takeovers in the history of banking - with another one this morning!  RBS took over Williams & Deacons  and Glyn MIlls banks, combining to form their English subsidiary, but then also took over the better known Nat West (itself a merger between the Westminster Bank and National Provincial, which also included Coutts & Co (bankers to Her late Majesty and presumably now to His Majesty).  In the case of these Procor wagons, it is likely that some part of the RBS group was the lessor.

In the early 1970s I worked for Lloyds at the first British branch outside London with an ATM (though we used the term Cashpoint, a Lloyds registered trademark which caught on in everyday speech).  It used punched paper vouchers the were processing through the cheque clearing system, which would enable them to be returned with statements.  From memory these were the same size as personal cheques, which is slightly smaller than the size of IBM punched cards (we were using punched paper tape for data entry to the computer at the time).  You had to prepay £10 for each voucher, so they were not reusable, and they were probably also not unduly difficult to counterfeit.  They were quickly superseded by the more practical plastic cards (Access, another trade name) which we issued not long afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... the more practical plastic cards (Access, another trade name) ...

I am very sorry to drift off in a cloud of reminiscence, but I had quite forgotten "Access cards" - a phrase uttered regularly by my parents about 'paying it off' when they did their budgets.  Thank you for this.  Now, back to lovely fertiliser trains!