Switched Mode Power Supply with LEDs

WIMorrison

I just purchased a 12v 2A SMPS to run some LEDs and it pulses them off and on yet another one I use for powering some motors runs the LEDs correctly. This new one will also not power a DC motor.

I can’t return it as after I checked the output for 12v I cut the connector off to connect into the LED chocolate block :(

Any thoughts - other than throw it in the bin?

It shows the dc symbol on the output graphic and it shows as dc on the multimeter and nothing when I try it on AC therefore I am assuming it is DC :)

Probably an unregulated PSU, you need to add a voltage regulator to the output. It is a simple circuit consisting of an IC and a few capacitors. Google will turn up a few if not PM me with a email address and I will send you a circuit. If using a voltage regulator make sure your PSU can deliver at least a 3V overhead over the desired output to your LEDs.

Richard

It's a switch mode supply and will be regulated. An unregulated SMPS is a contradiction.

This kind of pulsing usually indicates an overload. The supply is shutting down and then trying again. I get it from an SMPS that I use to power a mini-drill if I over-do things.

What kind of LEDs and how many? Current limit resistors? Have you tried a single LED with a 2k resistor in series?

If the supply is designed for a specific purpose then it may require a minimum load. A general purpose SMPS should be stable with no load, which your multimeter suggests.