Airbrush and Compressor advice please

I am keen to purchase a compressor for airbrushing , the models I am interested in are the AS18-2 (without tank) and AS182 (with tank) , these models appear to be readily available for purchase on the internet and if required can be bought as a package with a pair of airbrushes.
I am no stranger to airbrushing , having previously worked with a Badger (single action) airbrush with can of compressed air , I know this is not an ideal arrangement but I am purely `N` Gauge and  have sprayed and weathered locomotives and stock etc with pleasing results using just this `basic` set up , I did tend to find that with `N` gauge I was only doing short bursts with spraying before allowing the model to dry and applying further coats , the compressed air cans seem to be fine for this purpose , I did find that this set up had limitations  too as it was tricky controlling the spray pattern such as achieving narrow lines.
I also own a Premiair G35 dual action brush which I acquired cheaply but I have not yet used , I understand that these compare well with with Iwata type brushes and give greater control over spray pattern (opinions welcome ?)
So , I am just interested in opinions on the AS18-2 and AS182 type compressors , There is a price difference with these two models and I read mixed reviews on the airbrushes that are supplied with them , I am curious too as to the price variations , they seem to vary in price by anything up to £20 , I am unsure if the slightly more expensive come with better quality airbrushes ?
I am prepared to consider either of these compressor models , the cost difference is irrelevant but if the cheaper AS18-2 (without tank) will fulfill my needs then I would sooner go with that , I read discussions of `pulsing` because of the lack of a tank but I assume the `pulsing` would be more noticeable with prolonged airbrushing , this is a requirement for `N` Gauge and there would be no `prolonged` airbrushing as such , just short bursts to slowly build up paint layers.
Opinions , experiences welcome ?

Thank you !

These compressors have been discussed on these pages before and the general consensus is that they do a good job and are good value. They are much better than using cans of compressed air. I have an AS18 with the tank chosen, as you suggest, to avoid any pulsing problems. Certainly for my 4mm modelling it works very well.

From what some others have said the pulsing issue can be overplayed and the tankless version may well suit your needs, especially for short periods of use. Never having used one I couldn’t be certain.

I wouldn’t expect too much of the airbrushes supplied with them, they may be okay for scenic work. Think of them as a freebie and if they are usable, that’s a bonus.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

post-17779-0-06621800-1534972594_thumb.jpg

The 18/2 is as good as the Badger BA1000 and both the same price.... both quiet and as I keep saying.... as they are fitted with a moisture trap and pressure gauge you don`t necessarily need a n extra tank as THERE ARE NO PULSATING AIRWAVES.TO WORRY ABOUT  because the trap and long airhose eliminates  them........ and with a decent airbrush will give excellent performance.

post-17779-0-42085700-1534973025_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-68534500-1534973071_thumb.jpg

Depending on the airbrush you choose you may need an airbrush hose attachment thread for the 18-2  particularly with Badger airbrushes which I have used for the past 35 years.....brilliant products !!

Cheers

John

Edited by ROSSPOP

Brilliant advice , thanks very much for responses :sungum:

I have been looking at the reviews for the BA1000 compressor and they do appear to be of great quality , I would assume them to be of better build quality then the `cheaper` AS18-2 which I guess are manufactured in China .

Edited by Threshold Of Dreams

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The 18/2 is as good as the Badger BA1000 and both the same price.... both quiet and as I keep saying.... as they are fitted with a moisture trap and pressure gauge you don`t necessarily need a n extra tank as THERE ARE NO PULSATING AIRWAVES.TO WORRY ABOUT  because the trap and long airhose eliminates  them........ and with a decent airbrush will give excellent performance.

As John says, the "pulsing" thing is just an urban myth. I have one of these compressors without a tank and have never found it to have a problem with pulsing. You'll get longer spraying time in between the compressor kicking with a tank but it may also run longer as it refills.

The airbrushes supplied with them are adequate, they get the job done. I learnt to spray with mine and got good results. It didn't stop me progressing though and getting a Harder-Steenbeck Evolution. What a difference! I think you'll find your G35 a big step up from any supplied with the compressor.

• RMweb Gold

So , I am just interested in opinions on the AS18-2 and AS182 type compressors , There is a price difference with these two models and I read mixed reviews on the airbrushes that are supplied with them ,

You do not need the air tank, so the AS18-2 is the one to go for. It will work very well with your G35. I'm not merely repeating what has been written by ROSSPOP and 57xx, I am also re-enforcing it. The airbrush and compressor combination will be excellent for your 2mm needs.

Make sure you show us your results!  :paint:

I'd just like to reiterate what the folks above have said. I burned out two of the tankless versions over  the space of a few years, one through stupidity, the other through use, before progressing to a serious tank monster, and have never seen this pulsing, even with low pressure weathering. The brushes that come with the kit are fine, some parts poorly engineered, but cleaned well, should give plenty years of service before you feel the need to upgrade. 

I discovered this , which seems a real bargain at £44.99 , featuring said compressor and basic `cheap` airbrush which I guess would be ok for basic spraying but not more intricate spraying , ie thin lines ?

It looks like it is the AS18-2 !

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-airbrush-compressor/p/083261211637200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_vp8_2e3QIVS7TtCh2kdAfSEAQYAiABEgLTqPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLqAo_j9nt0CFU4W0wode10I2A

Comments welcome ?

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a bargain to me. Don't know if the thin lines capability is something really necessary - if you want a sharp thin line you will mask anyway.

There is frequently interesting stuff at Aldi...

• RMweb Gold

I discovered this , which seems a real bargain at £44.99 , featuring said compressor and basic `cheap` airbrush which I guess would be ok for basic spraying but not more intricate spraying , ie thin lines ?

It looks like it is the AS18-2 !

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-airbrush-compressor/p/083261211637200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_vp8_2e3QIVS7TtCh2kdAfSEAQYAiABEgLTqPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLqAo_j9nt0CFU4W0wode10I2A

Comments welcome ?

That's an AS18-2. Buy it, quick! Throw away the airbrushes that come with it (or sell them on eBay!) and use your G35.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I am also interested in getting a compressor so have found this thread interesting.

I 'googled' compressor as182 and got a couple of brands using that number.

Which brand are people suggesting?

Thanks

I got bought one of these Aldi air brush/compressor sets for my birthday a few weeks back, i've not used it yet and i've never used one before, i had already though got a better quality Iwata airbrush months ago, which i'll use instead of the one that came in the set, from reading the advise and tips on here it seems it will suit me just fine.  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mick.

So is AS18-2 akin to a standard or design criteria?

Cheers

It's the name given to the device by the manufacturer. They are sold to every Tom, Dick and Harry all over the world and then badged according to the reseller's desires. Mostly by Harry, I believe.  :crazy:

http://www.cnbida.com/

• RMweb Gold

Although I have been a life long user of Badger airbrushes..... I would like to commend to this discussion a seldom mentioned

and excellent airbrush product....

The Aztec A 470

post-17779-0-34336300-1536840461_thumb.jpg

It comes with all that you need  to spray with enamels and acrylics

The only parts that come in contact with paint are the quick exchange spray nozzles.....

( THESE ARE NOT FOR YOU MODELLERS THAT CANNOT COPE WITH CLEANING YOUR AIRBRUSH )

post-17779-0-72423000-1536840478_thumb.jpg

But they are impervious to strong solvent cleaners and are easy to flush through and soak with proper cleaners..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

post-17779-0-83048400-1536840441_thumb.jpg

The airbrush itself can be switched from single action to dual action and is both siphon feed and gravity feed ( for left and right loading)

post-17779-0-93449400-1536840517_thumb.jpg

I use mine for weathering projects whereby I can use the various sized gravity feed cups with different colours quickly.

It comes with all you need to attach to your compressor.

post-17779-0-57474400-1536840494_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-20510500-1536840558_thumb.jpg

Hi, a couple of years ago I started a thread on here called "So I bought a cheap airbrush kit" I think it is the same basic kit as you have bought here. I hope it might be still of interest?

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107480-so-i-bought-a-cheap-airbrush-kit/

There are some useful contributions from other posters, more knowledgeable than I, on how to adjust the pressure on your compressor (which unless your instructions are better than the quasi-mystical sheet of A4 I got with mine are little better than useless) and other useful tips for the beginner. I also show how to strip down the cheap airbrush that came in the kit. I can report that two years on compressor and airbrush are still giving sterling service.

• RMweb Gold

As the owner of a "with tank" version one advantage is that it is quieter. Once the tank is full the compressor stops and only cuts back in when the tank needs topping up. If you don't have the tank your compressor presumably runs all the time you are demanding air.

• RMweb Gold

As the owner of a "with tank" version one advantage is that it is quieter. Once the tank is full the compressor stops and only cuts back in when the tank needs topping up. If you don't have the tank your compressor presumably runs all the time you are demanding air.

Yes, If I was a `professional` and modelled for a living/business I would invest in a large extra tanked all singing and dancing mega bucks compressor.  But for a first time entry level compressor there are no real advantages or disadvantages having the extra tank it`s just down to personal preference and cost.

The tankless  version will still produce quality results dependant on your skill level. ( in fact it does have a small reservoir of air which will cope admirably for the projects we undertake in 4 and 7mm modelling and stops running as soon as you release the trigger.)    A more important choice is to have the moisture trap and pressure gauge. 

• RMweb Gold

As the owner of one of these AS18 compressors I`ve decided to have some modelling fun and start my own thread....

.ROSSPOP`S AIRBRUSHING ADVENTURES TO CAMERA.   using this compressor and an Aztec A470 airbrush

Please pop in now and again and see how I get on with airbrushing a 7mm  Bset

Johnny Rosspop

• 3 weeks later...

Have they arrived?  :O

How well do they work?  :rtfm:

How many items have you done?  :superman:

Where are the photographs?  :blind:

:king:  :haha:

Seeing as I hold some responsibility as the initiator of this post then I shall stick in my two penn`orth !

I have since bought a bargain price compressor of type AS18-2 from a well known German discount retailer , but , due to work commitments I have not had opportunity to use it and I believe I will need to source and purchase some conversion adapters before I can , incidentally the price was £44.99 for compressor and airbrush and a quick glance at their website and the product is no longer lister , so maybe I did buy just at the right time.

In true `Blue Peter` style , here is one that I prepared earlier , much earlier in fact - a few years ago , this is 60059 `Swinden Dalesmen` in `N` Gauge , not the Graham Farish example , but a kit built TPM version and which I sprayed using my faithfull single action airbrush with can of compressed air , not brilliant photos due to limitations of  my camera , but it does highlight what can be achieved even with basic equipment , not to mention a kit which comes with very fine etched brass details and was a right PITA to build.

The plan is to put my new compressor and airbrush to good use by weathering much of my stock , but this will be a longer term project :sungum:

post-34913-0-99955300-1538515113_thumb.jpg

post-34913-0-82526000-1538515173_thumb.jpg

• Like 1