Antex 25W soldering iron problem.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

The cable on my relatively new (2 years approx) 25W Antex iron suddenly got hot near the body of the iron. Obviously it was un-plugged immediately.

I would not have suspected such a thing to happen to quality iron. I purchased it from a reputable looking seller on Ebay. Could it perhaps be a counterfeit item?. Another thing is that the plastic collar nearest to the bit has slightly melted. I noticed this a few months ago.

I've ordered a new one direct from Antex this time. 

Any advice or observations please.

Thanks

Over time cables tend to break internally at the point of maximum flexing usually near the point of entry into the device. As the cable strands begin to fray the cable at that point begins to thin meaning it allows less current through coupled with minor arcing of the frayed ends can cause a local build up of heat, it becomes a self perpetuating process resulting in a broken cable often fixed by cutting away the damaged section and shortening the cable. The cable can fail quite dramatically as once happened on SWAMBOs iron where a short developed and went with a bang.

More worrying is the melting you describe at the plastic collar, if it's the black portion at the end of the element then that is anew one on me. Over the years at work we had hundreds of Antex irons often handled somewhat roughly by their users and never has that occurred. Over the years our technicians repaired/cannibalised many irons but never did that occur, suggests to me you have a suspect iron there. With only 4 parts to the iron and two of them damaged, I suggest it needs mending with a new one.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks indeed Richard.

Two out of four is not good so a new one from Antex themselves, though £12 more than those on Ebay, will be a good investment.

P.S. It seems that you can't trust ebay and the likes for electricals. Counterfeiting would seem to be everywhere.

post-6728-0-07518600-1534932654.jpg

Edited by Re6/6

Many thanks indeed Richard.

Two out of four is not good so a new one from Antex themselves, though £12 more than those on Ebay, will be a good investment.

P.S. It seems that you can't trust ebay and the likes for electricals. Counterfeiting would seem to be everywhere.

attachicon.gif002.jpg

Wow! That looks serious and dangerous damage. BTW I meant to mention to repair/replace a cable or element you would need access to another soldering iron.

Richard

• RMweb Gold

If it was me, I'd ask Antex for their opinion of the faulty iron. You never know, if it is a genuine one they might offer a free replacement.

Thanks. I'll send it to them and we'll see if it's genuine or not!

If the iron is not fully inserted into the stand after every time it is used then the element can come into direct contact with the stand. The coil part of the stand will heat up and the next time the iron is inserted correctly it will melt the plastic. Why they use a thermoplastic rather than a thermosetting one like other makes use, e.g Weller, I don't know.

How not to use a stand about a 1/3rd of the way down on this site

http://blog.grozak.com/2015/07/06/soldering-answering-beginners-questions/

Brian

Edited to add website

Edited by brigo

Looks bad.   My Antex 25 watt lasted about 12 years before the element failed but I always hung it bit upwards on the edge of the baseboard or on its dedicated bit of hardboard under the baseboard when switched on but not actually soldering.   Sounds like the advice above about not inserting the iron in the stand correctly applies.