Cyril Freezer's 009 "rabbit warren" plan?

narrowman

This was an Ebay win in 2011 and is an unfinished 4'x2' 'Rabbit Warren' style 009 layout.

I was told it was based on a Cyril Freezer plan in a 1960's RM, so I'd like to know which issue it was in or which Peco plan book it may be featured in? I wondered if Cyril suggested what it should be used as? slate mine? or whatever...  and I would like to finish it off and get it on the exhibition circuit!

ANCELLE+A.jpg

All the track works, so I just need to sort some of the electrics, then ballasting and scenics can commence, but as what?

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have a feeling it might have been one of the earlier issues of '60 plans for small locations'. I'm sure I have a copy around somewhere with the rabbit Warren layout in it. I have a dig around later and let you know which edition it was.

rabbitA.jpg

It appears it was based on a Cyril Freezer plan, but modified to incorporate a roundy-roundy "avoidance" line!!!

The gap on the lower right is where the panel fits over to cover the "track maintenance" area...

Thanks for the info from club members!!!

• Like 2

I have before me my copy of “60 plans for small railways” 3rd edition.

Looking at your pictures it seems that your model railway is not the same as Cyrill's  “rabbit layout” which is plan S33 in the booklet. The rabbit layout is more complex in its trackplan, it is a continuous run (roundy-roundy)  and is planned for a 6' x 3' baseboard.

Your railway looks more like the next plan in the booklet, plan S34 which was designed to be one half of a pair of baseboards mounted on either side of a fireplace. Note that only one baseboard and trackplan for S34 is represented in the booklet. I guess Cyrill left it up to the builder to design the other half of the system.

S34 as designed is an out and back plan using a reverse loop to return trains to the terminal station with a spur provided for the extension to the other side of the fireplace.

The layout plan posted by Foxfield2012 “Winter Layout002.pdf” is a copy of Cyrill's S34 plan.

Your railway looks like a continuous run, is that correct? If so then maybe it is a modification of the S34 plan to give a continuous run.

Best regards,

Pierre

Yes, it has two methods of making a "roundy-roundy". the first is to start from the siding that leads to the second board and follow the track up to the top of the layout, then through the tunnel, where the track runs down to the exit you started from and so one. The second way is to start at the bottom go through the first tunnel, then there a point (seen through the inspection hole, lower right) which joins the track running down from the top tunnel and the train will exit the tunnel by where you started!!!

At the back of the layout, there's a loop that trains could be held, while another train can be released and exit the lower tunnel mouth!!!

Loads of operational fun!!!!!

I'm looking forward to getting it ready for exhibition, but looking at the very tight clearances within the layout, I'll have to be very selective with locos and stock, so no Garretts and the like...

Tony

Many of the plans in the books originated, I think as "Plan of the Month".  The November 65 article makes reference to PDH's Craig and Mertonford, having a picture of the PDH version of a Ffestiniog 0-4-0 at the top.  `the project is seen as something to pass the winter months indoors!  Specific reference is mead to extending past the goods shed over the fireplace to another alcove as the layout would no doubt entrance the domestic authorities!!!!!!!! 

• 1 year later...
On 22/08/2018 at 16:18, Froxfield2012 said:

Wonders never cease!  I found a very similar `railway of the Month in the November 1965 Railway Modeller.  With some trepidation I attach it here.  Mods, please remove if it offends.

Winter Layout002.pdf 507.71 kB · 350 downloads

That's very interesting, thanks. How big do you reckon it was 4'x2'?

Stephen

• 1 month later...

These layouts were hugely popular in the late-60s, when Eggerbahn gear seriously penetrated the UK market, partly because the combination of tiny mechanism and fairly basic controllers made reliable running, especially reliable starting, really difficult to achieve, so a continuous run was a very good idea. Every model railway exhibition had one!

Laurie Maunder, who became a well-known 009 modeller and later developed a really beautiful 'mini empire' layout in his loft, was a neighbour of ours and my 'modelling mentor' at that time; he built a very neat small "warren", a simple looped-eight in hilly countryside, with two simple stations, called "Dryad Falls". It was quite influential in moving things on from the basic rabbit warren, because he built his own track (phosphor bronze rail, stub-turnouts), and applied his exacting standards of workmanship to everything.

These layouts fell out of favour as 009 "grew up" in the 70s and early 80s, not being considered serious enough, but I think that if done well (understated, rather than utterly gimmicky), they are a great way of getting going in the scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 29/01/2020 at 08:33, Andy Kirkham said:

I remember there was a CJF plan under the heading "Rabbits for Christmas" so it would have been in a December issue - probably 1968, 1969 or 1970.

I was looking for Rabbit layouts and found this thread!

"Rabbits for Christmas" was in the December 1970 RM.

The issue is a good one to get a copy of, not only for the rabbit layout but also for the Railway of the Month which is Mike Sharmans mixed gauge layout and also an Emett inspired layout.