Western Region in the 1970's and 80's

acg5324

• RMweb Premium

The second book has just come back for proof reading, due for November publication. Here is a low res picture of the cover to whet your appetite.

gallery_681_3476_9523.jpg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I hope so too. They do a first edit then you get the book back to proof read and correct. They then proof read again prior to print.

I sent back a dozen or so alterations about 50% were my initial typing errors like leaving the word ton out from 45 ton tank wagons, still made sense to them but was wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You are only allowed around 180 pictures per book, plus cover shots. The locations are places I’ve visited when trainspotting, although they aren’t all my photos. 26 are South and West Wales, Newport, Cardiff, Tenby, Whitland, Carmarthen...... Nothing from the Valleys I rejected the ones I had as not good enough.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some excellent titles being released within this range. Unfortunately the dire picture quality and constant typos prevent me from purchasing after an initial 3 or 4. A real shame.

I have to agree with you to some degree, typos can be reduced by someone else checking the work in addition to the author and the editor. The semi Matt paper doesn’t help the pictures but I was pleased with my SR book picture reproduction. I did scan every single image at 2400 dpi and then each one was edited and reduced to a minimum of 2000 pixels wide.

Despite being checked multiple times I only spotted two errors, both mine, one was a picture out of sequence by one place and the other was part of a caption missing. What was there was correct and made sense but the actual train details were missing.

For under £15 they aren’t bad. My ER volume is already available for pre order on Amazon.

I have to agree with you to some degree, typos can be reduced by someone else checking the work in addition to the author and the editor. The semi Matt paper doesn’t help the pictures but I was pleased with my SR book picture reproduction. I did scan every single image at 2400 dpi and then each one was edited and reduced to a minimum of 2000 pixels wide.

Despite being checked multiple times I only spotted two errors, both mine, one was a picture out of sequence by one place and the other was part of a caption missing. What was there was correct and made sense but the actual train details were missing.

For under £15 they aren’t bad. My ER volume is already available for pre order on Amazon.

Hi Andy. Congrats on the books. I also agree the Matt paper finish does nothing for image quality. It's just such a shame that such good content is not the best quality visually. Some alternative titles from the likes of Crowood Press and Booklaw are light years ahead.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a copy of this book over Xmas and found it brought back lots of happy memories, the pictures are a good selection of everyday scenes from around the Region.

Many of the locations in Bristol and the West Country and the Newport/Cardiff area I know well, but there are also views from locations in the London Division that I never visited.

cheers

• Like 1