Modelu Pre-Grouping Range

These had escaped my notice until now.

They look excellent, and I am keen to see how they look beside the excellent Stadden's:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/new-pre-grouping-figures/

I particularly like the Station Master (who looks like Neville Chamberlain).

Let us hope they expand from railway staff to passengers, though harder to dress people up, I would imagine.

The WW1 figures might also prove useful, and I wonder how they will look beside the excellent WD Models':

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/new-first-world-war-figures/

The War Memorial pose is inspired, but I think some of these would be good for Territorials in relaxed pose outside their TACs(!), or any soldiers working, either side of the Great War. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

These had escaped my notice until now.

They look excellent, and I am keen to see how they look beside the excellent Stadden's:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/new-pre-grouping-figures/

I particularly like the Station Master (who looks like Nevelle Chamberlain).

Let us hope they expand from railway staff to passengers, though harder to dress people up, I would imagine.

The WW1 figures might also prove useful, and I wonder how they will look beside the excellent WD Models':

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/new-first-world-war-figures/

The War Memorial pose is inspired, but I think some of these would be good for Territorials in relaxed pose outside their TACs(!), or any soldiers working, either side of the Great War. 

The scans were done in the clubrooms of the Mendip group and they are instantly recognisable. The 'model' for the station master will be very amused when I tell him he looks like Nevelle Chamberlain!

Jerry

• Like 4

A very pedantic comment, but all the pregrouping loco crews seem to be driving right hand drive locos. Many companies used left hand drive on their locos which would require some of the poses to be reversed. Otherwise, the detail is fantastic.

Best wishes

Eric     

• Like 1

A very pedantic comment, but all the pregrouping loco crews seem to be driving right hand drive locos. Many companies used left hand drive on their locos which would require some of the poses to be reversed. Otherwise, the detail is fantastic.

If you go into the 'Shop' section of the website and select a figure, you will see that they can be ordered with either left or right hand raised. For example: https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/product/1203/ .

Jim

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered a few of these and they are as good as one might expect.

There is also the "early 20th century series" under the "Industry" category, which includes seated workmen. Here's one in close-up, I like the folds in the clothing and the life-like "slouch" that is so rare in model railway figures.

29288888637_e77a521d07_c.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Looking good. A slight criticism of some of the earlier figures is that they look too well fed. A lot of railway staff in steam days looked as thin as a rake; long hours of demanding labour meant they burnt off a load of calories!

• Like 1

Best wishes

Eric

The better railways drove on the right and painted their locos green!

Ian,

Looking good. A slight criticism of some of the earlier figures is that they look too well fed. A lot of railway staff in steam days looked as thin as a rake; long hours of demanding labour meant they burnt off a load of calories!

When filming Master & Commander, the director sought extras from Eastern Europe for the crew.  Western extras were just too big and well-covered for a Napoleonic ship's crew.

Still, Neville Chamberlain looks a little more 'spare'.

The better railways drove on the right and painted their locos green!

Ian,

I was going to point out the obvious solution to the problem, but you beat me to it!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 3

I've ordered several of the pre-group figures in N, and I'll be interested to see how they look side by side with the Stadden ones, which at least in N seem to be the only source of Victorian/Edwardian passenger figures.

I suspect that while Stadden are much better than most white metal figures, they might look a bit odd with the scanned figures.

It would be great if Alan could expand into "civilians" for other eras too! The Pendon figures are great, and the "lady shopping" who has a shawl on could probably pass for earlier in the 20th century, but the others are very conspicuously "mid" rather than "early" century.

Time to raid the costume department of a Gilbert and Sullivan society or something? :)

• Like 2

I've ordered several of the pre-group figures in N, and I'll be interested to see how they look side by side with the Stadden ones, which at least in N seem to be the only source of Victorian/Edwardian passenger figures.

I suspect that while Stadden are much better than most white metal figures, they might look a bit odd with the scanned figures.

It would be great if Alan could expand into "civilians" for other eras too! The Pendon figures are great, and the "lady shopping" who has a shawl on could probably pass for earlier in the 20th century, but the others are very conspicuously "mid" rather than "early" century.

Time to raid the costume department of a Gilbert and Sullivan society or something? :)

When you get them, I'm sure a number of use would appreciate some side-by-side pictures of them with the Staddens.

Mixing styles is difficult and takes careful placing.

I also wanted to add my vote to shoppers.  What Castle Aching needs most are Edwardian women out with there shipping baskets and there is a dearth of such figures.  The 1930s ones for Pendon are a very good idea, we just need some ones for an earlier period, too?

What happened to those rustic musicians?

• RMweb Premium

The better railways did not drive on the right and did not paint their locos green!

Ian,

Where is the "disagree" button when you need it!

There, is that better?

(With apologies to Ian!)

Keith

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Most am-dram societies have a costume department. Sherry's lot - TOADS, or Torquay Operatic And Dramatic Society, who no longer do opera - has a large wardrobe, run by ladies you don't argue with. Perhaps Alan might have a few days in Torbay?

I've used these http://www.thoroughbredmodels.com/EagleTens.htm . Click on the Civilians to bring a photo up. If you scout around the various 10mm wargaming figure suppliers you'll find the odd ones that are suitable.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I've used these http://www.thoroughbredmodels.com/EagleTens.htm . Click on the Civilians to bring a photo up. If you scout around the various 10mm wargaming figure suppliers you'll find the odd ones that are suitable.

I have spent a lot of (wasted) time looking for similar for 4mm but so far have found very few if any.  These look good.

G&S were a bit earlier than Edwardian times, Queen Victoria asked when Sullivan's next OPERA  would be staged to the dismay of the purists!

Interesting to see mention of Torquay Operatic And Dramatic Society. IIRC G&S previewed their latest Operettas it that area to establish Copyright.