Bachman BR std steam classes - DCC fitting older releases

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find out if certain older models can readily be chipped.

I have the opportunity to buy some second-hand Bachmann BR standard class steam locomotives.  The are in the older style of 'slimline' boxes, and have no instruction leaflets.  Without being in a position to take bodies off prior to purchase does anyone know if they are easily DCC fitted?

I don't have catalogue numbers at present, but the classes are all BR standard tender types:

class 4mt 2-6-0;

class 4mt 4-6-0; and

class 5mt 4-6-0.

If they are split chassis I'll probably leave well alone, otherwise I am happy to do the work.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for the information D.  Fortunately I have a couple of spare DCC23 decoders, and harnesses to fit them to an 8-pin socket.

I have a Bachmann 8-pin chip for a std 3 tank; if everyone has done their measuring accurately the inside of the boiler is 1mm wider that the circuit board of the decoder!  I'm hoping the std 4 tank's boiler is the same or better (fingers crossed).

Again, thanks for the advice.

Regards,

Alex.

Edited by Alex TM

Have 3 Std 4 2-6-0s, 2 fitted with Lenz Standards, and the other with a Bachmann 36-553 so not that tight on space. Also have Lenz Standards in a pair of Std 4 2-6-4Ts and a post 2007 Std 4 4-6-0, while a Std 5 4-6-0 has a direct fit decoder (ZTC 4007) in it so that one may be pretty tight in space

The Standard 5 is good and roomy as supplied. Has a large plastic box as a decoder location which will take a Lenz standard. There is a downside, it's right where weight for traction could usefully go! But it is no great trick to put a wired 8 pin decoder into the smoke box and add weight to the loco instead of the plastic box, if required.

• RMweb Gold

Have 3 Std 4 2-6-0s, 2 fitted with Lenz Standards, and the other with a Bachmann 36-553 so not that tight on space. Also have Lenz Standards in a pair of Std 4 2-6-4Ts and a post 2007 Std 4 4-6-0, while a Std 5 4-6-0 has a direct fit decoder (ZTC 4007) in it so that one may be pretty tight in space

I have dearly wanted a Std 5 and a Std 4 Mogul but have so far steered clear mainly by a review some while back saying that the removal and replacement of the bodies on these models are far from straightforward and fraught with damage potential.

As you have quite a collection of Mr Riddles' locomotives may I ask if this is indeed the case.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

The Std 3 tank can be fiddly - front screw is obscured by the bogie mount; push the mount too far and it bends the sprung plate that pushes the wheels onto the track.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

I have dearly wanted a Std 5 and a Std 4 Mogul but have so far steered clear mainly by a review some while back saying that the removal and replacement of the bodies on these models are far from straightforward and fraught with damage potential...

The Std 5 was one of Bach's first Blue Riband releases and is a little awkward in two respects. I don't know if it is still on the model, but the representation of the speedo drive can be something of a trial to restore correctly so that the loco runs smoothly. Patient 'tweaking' required on reassembly. (This feature only appeared on the BR Std 4 2-6-4T and Std 5: Bachmann made a statement that they would not repeat this on future models due to the problems customers had experienced.)

The other factor on the Std 5 is that pipework runs that go under the boiler are represented, and once the body is off lie across the opening in the body to take the mechanism. So the reassembly is 'hold body in left hand, hold mechanism in right hand, and with your third hand hold the springy plastic details out of the way!'. It sounds worse than it is and after a little familiarisation/cussing all goes together OK.

I also did a lot of modification to this model to improve traction, mainly by altering springing and adding weight. As supplied the driging wheels slipped running light engine.

The Std 4 2-6-0 is lovely, quite a favourite of mine (and far less trouble than the closely related Ivatt 4MT 2-6-0). Mechanism will come out once the bracket supporting the injector pipework has been pulled out of the chassis block side (fireman's side), and the drive rod to the reverser (driver's side) has been freed from under the footplate. The chassis needs to drop out vertically as it will bind if the mechanism is tilted fore or aft relative to the body, because there are two cuboid projections from the chassis block going into two cuboid voids in the body. If you are like me, a little work with a file then ensues once the mechanism is out, to obtain a slightly looser fit...

It has another little trick, the closer spacing hole in the tender drawbar is correctly positioned for scale or nearly so distance between loco and tender. But it won't couple on because the rigid mouldings on the tender front representing the intermediate buffers are too long to permit the tender 'peg' to engage. Again, out with the file. (If the intermediate buffers are filed down to about 30% of their original length I wouldn't be surprised if the loco and tender will then go through set track points at the closer spacing, but not tested it myself.)

Runs sweetly, pulls very well for its weight, and in the matter of appearance really convinces.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

The slightly three handed refit of the Std 5 is probably why mine has a direct fit decoder in it - I have a dislike of decoders fitted in a manner that requires the body to be present and prefer the chassis to be self contained with the decoder stuck/fitted to it particularly where the refit of the body is challenging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having given serious thought to all the helpful comments above, some BR Standard tender locomotives are shortly to be allocated to my stud.

Nice, peaceful afternoon and therefore ideal for a bit of chipping in the man cave; taking the bull by the horns, I attended to the (DCC ready) Bachmann BR5 first.

Successfuly fitted a Lenz Standard V2 decoder into this loco without any tears thanks to the assistance given by you helpful people and referring to The Bromsgrove Models website.

For the information of any members who might wish to perform the task, the direct URL is:

http://trains-of.blogspot.com/2007/12/Bachmann-standard-5mt-disassembly-dcc.html

Thank all again.

• 4 months later...