Ivatt 2MT tanks - any books?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Just been reading an interesting article on Ivatt's 2MT 2-6-2 tanks in an old copy of MRI (vol. 1; no. 3; Jan-Feb 1994).  Like many such articles it only really scratches the surface of the subject.  Although I am sure that I have seen a book on Ivatt's LMS 2-6-0s, does anyone know of a book on this class?

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for that Leander.  It's one of the books that's on my list of "wants" as it covers the other LMS designs too.  The MRI article sounds as if it may have the same, or more, information.

As for being a neglected class, I agree.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Alex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Thanks for those additional references.  Last weekend I managed to pick up the relevant edition of 'Illustrated History .....' and 'Locomotives Illustrated'.  I'll keep a look out for the other two books too.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Its out of print now, but you could grab a copy of Looking back at Riddles & Ivatt Locomotives from Strathwood via the usual sources, its all colour with eight photos of the 2MTs, it also covers their Standard cousins too.

By the way chaps we will be doing a series on London Midland Region Tanks next year.

Kevin

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Brocp said:

The LMS locomotive profile series was planning a book on them, but we haven't had a new one in a long time, since at least the LMS Journal was cancelled (massive shame)

Funny you should say that, LMS Profiles 15 The Royal Scots (covering the both the original and rebuilt locos) is about to go to the printers.

1790678110_RoyalScotscover.jpg.61ece9be03a7dfeae50894b66df19186.jpg

I really want to cover the Ivatt Class 2 in the series too, although there will be a different class done as Profile 16, which is also hopefully moving forwards now.

You are right, too long a gap since the last one.

Simon (Wild Swan)

Edited by Not Jeremy
File too large
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good to see this, as it was looking as if the series was becoming moribund. I have 'No.1 The Rebuilt Royal Scots' published back in 1999! As mentioned above I look forward to seeing the smaller locos covered in due course.

12 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Funny you should say that, LMS Profiles 15 The Royal Scots (covering the both the original and rebuilt locos) is about to go to the printers.

1790678110_RoyalScotscover.jpg.61ece9be03a7dfeae50894b66df19186.jpg

I really want to cover the Ivatt Class 2 in the series too, although there will be a different class done as Profile 16, which is also hopefully moving forwards now.

You are right, too long a gap since the last one.

Simon (Wild Swan)

Also Simon, any hints at what class will be covered in 16?

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Just to note that 'the book of' series book covering the Ivatt 2 tanks is due out soon.

https://www.irwellpress.com/acatalog/LONDON_MIDLAND_SCOTTISH_RAILWAY.html

(though these very much compliment the Wild Swan books, so we can still hope for no 17 ;-) )

Most excellent!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Strathwood said:

In stock now at www.strathwood.co.uk

Ivatt_2MT_TANKS.jpg

And all the other booksellers who are stocking it presumably?

Or maybe even direct from the publisher?

Or are you the only supplier from which this book may be obtained....

• Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 17:46, Not Jeremy said:

And all the other booksellers who are stocking it presumably?

Or maybe even direct from the publisher?

Or are you the only supplier from which this book may be obtained....

Platform 5 publishing I believe stock this range of books and they have just opened an online store at platform5.com, however they had been shut down due to corona so not sure if they would have it in stock yet....might be worth a call (not connected in any way...)