10 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

I'm not doubting that Tom but it's got me wondering where they would have coaled up the bunkers

Coaling facilities at Bala, Trawsfynydd and Tan-Y-Manod near Blaenau Ffestiniog (where the turntable was). Always seemed to be massive pieces of coal too! I bet the fireman had fun! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/07/2020 at 14:01, Hawin Dooiey said:

The fireman glances back to check all is in order with the train as 5774 passes with the 5.15pm Trawsfynydd-Bala Class K

DSC07416_(1).jpeg

That is superb Tom, ridiculously good.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Hawin, just stumbled across your layout when researching a forthcoming walk. What an inspired choice. My late father in law was based in Bala as a train driver during the 50's and 60's so probably drove that section himself, a  nice family connection.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GriffT said:

image.png.c4825f725119be917a0b86bbfb5a8942.pngDoes anyone know the significance of the section of track and the wagon on it to the 'main' line?

The "wagon" is the Wickham motorised p/way inspection and maintenance  trolley. It was stored on the spur of track and when needed was run onto the boards, lifted through 90* and dropped onto the tracks. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 1 year later...

It's a shame you're selling this but I do understand the reasons why. I'd love to purchase the layout myself as it is a stunning layout, though I doubt that I have the money or room for it. I may be able to afford some of the stock though, so I am certainly interested. Either way, I hope that it all goes to a good home and I look forward to seeing more of your modelling.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

You were/are a great influence and encouraging fellow modeller during this thread, brilliant piece of modelling there’s no doubt.

I can see your reasoning and can only support your decision.

shame I didn’t live closer to Yorkshire I’d snap your hands off!

Good luck with the sale.

Cheers 

Ade

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have to say this is one of the best layouts about. It summed up the saying “less is more”. I was looking forward to seeing your plans for extensions but I totally agree that if by keeping the layout it hurts then it must move on. 

Thank you Tom for letting us all follow your modelling experience. At least we have your other layout to drool over.

Keith

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

I can only agree with the previous posters. The layout successfully portrays the line as it was in the late 1950s and early 1960s . it was remote !!!!!

Tom's modelling has been influential for many of us, me certainly included and this particular project has just one pair of points in the "public" portion. Instantly that would many model railway enthusiasts off because of limited opportunities. Spin that around though and just how many train movements a day would you see at the real location, and that is what Tom has achieved. Perhaps that siding was unused for maybe a whole week at a time so it really wasn't busy, but I believe that Tom has achieved what he set out to do - hone his skills on building a prototype scenic model railway. 

Part of the influence of Tom's project on me was my journeys through the "cwm"  (look it up) on my way to and from my father's place in Tanygrisiau. My preferrdd rout from home was M54 and A5 thence via Knockin and Llanrhaedr y Mochnant over to Bala then up fast Llyn Celyn to the Vale of Festiniog. I drove that road in most weather conditions except snow, always glanced wistfully over to the trackbed - and drove on it of course !!! My dad died in 2018 and I no longer of the need and desire to visit, and again, I totally understand Tom's situation with his dad.  The good thing is that Tom want's to pass it on, so hopefully someone out there can acquire "Cwm Prysor" and enjoy it. Not sure if Tom intends to sell the stock with it, I personally wouldn't.

Good luck for the future Tom and hope someone new can enjoy it.   

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you for all the kind comments. I am genuinely touched.

There will be some stock available, but at the moment I'm unsure how much.

Geoff Taylor (of Barmouth Junction) is now working on Bala Junction and it looks like he maybe having some of the stock, but not all of it. I'll have a better idea in a week's time.

I'm very much hoping someone maybe interested in Cwm Prysor. The space in the shed will certainly help with my current 'Sudrian projects'.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Afternoon all.

I have some developments. A large number of the Pannier's are now sold to my friend Geoff Taylor, along with one of the Bala Toads.

I do have left one 74XX, 57XX and a 58XX.

245418759_397324588685605_268461087419932567_n.jpeg.39669acfaabfd111002b420770fd79a9.jpeg

Additionally I have three kit built coaches, E147, E157 and E167 Non corridor Brake's. The E157 and E167s are not available as kits. I had the sides commissioned by Worsley Works and the rest were made from Comet components and built by jwealleans of this parish.

245708158_896302021016699_2866154189696326496_n.jpeg.d9b5902446220c850cbb01cc6f9e9143.jpeg

Ideally I'd like these to be sold with the layout but I understand that might not be possible.

I almost decided to not sell the layout and stock over the weekend, but I was then reminded of the new projects I really want to work on...... now is the time to let it all go.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Tom F said:

Afternoon all.

I have some developments. A large number of the Pannier's are now sold to my friend Geoff Taylor, along with one of the Bala Toads.

I do have left one 74XX, 57XX and a 58XX.

245418759_397324588685605_268461087419932567_n.jpeg.39669acfaabfd111002b420770fd79a9.jpeg

Any toads left? And are any of the engines in GWR green?

2 minutes ago, THS92-GWR-NO said:

Any toads left? And are any of the engines in GWR green?

I have a Hornby modified Toad, with Ruabon branding in BR Grey.

Only loco in green was a 74XX which retained grubby green throughout its life. I was modelling late 1950s so most things are black.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Tom F said:

I have a Hornby modified Toad, with Ruabon branding in BR Grey.

Only loco in green was a 74XX which retained grubby green throughout its life. I was modelling late 1950s so most things are black.

Check your inbox mate :)

• Tom F changed the title to Cwm Prysor - 'The Bala Branch' **FOR SALE**
  • 1 month later...

Evening everyone

I thought it was worth posting an update.

As of now the majority of locomotive stock has now been sold. I do have some stock still available which maybe of interest:

1. 57XX 5742 (Fully detailed and weathered)

2. Presflo Wagons x 2 (Fully weather and detailed with screw link couplings)

3 .Non Corridor kit built coaches Collett E157 Brake Composite and Hawksworth E167. Both of these coaches are not available RTR or as a full kit. Both were built/scratch built by Jonathan Wealleans of this parish using Worsley Works sides I had commissioned along with Comet parts. Very much two bespoke coaches, and of particular interest to Western Region Modellers.

4. Lenz 100 DCC system and Transformer

There are other bits and pieces on offer, which I'm happy to discuss......in particular the layout itself!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Very surprised those bespoke Brake Compos haven't sold Tom. 

Good luck 

Same Phil. Really could do with some modelling funds with the sale of this stock.

• Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

in particular the layout itself!
That does surprise me Tom, thought that wouldn’t of hung around long!

Is it advertised elsewhere?

Cheers

Ade

I haven't yet Ade, but I'm planning to put it on my Tom Foster Weathering page.

• Like 1

Quick update, pending payment the two weathered Presflos have now been sold.

Also should add, I have a number of boxed Bachmann (and some Hornby) wagons and rolling stock to offload. Mostly Vans/Wagons but I've some Hornby boxed Collett Coaches too.

Drop me a PM if anyone is interested. Really wanting to move as much of this stock on before Christmas if I can.

Edited by Tom F