• RMweb Premium

Tom that’s a great story an emotional journey. The layout looks top drawer, from those glimpses in the photos above. Particularly interested in the water there, more pics of that and how it was achieved please.

Cheers

Ade

Tom that’s a great story an emotional journey. The layout looks top drawer, from those glimpses in the photos above. Particularly interested in the water there, more pics of that and how it was achieved please.

Cheers

Ade

Thanks Ade. Yes, I'll post some more photos this evening and about how I did the lake. :)

• RMweb Gold

Tom,

That’s lovely having a scan of your ‘Dad’, thanks so much for sharing.

I think time is a great healer, so here’s hoping I’m right. I’m so glad you are able to get back into modelling the same place too.

Paul.

Tom,

That’s lovely having a scan of your ‘Dad’, thanks so much for sharing.

I think time is a great healer, so here’s hoping I’m right. I’m so glad you are able to get back into modelling the same place too.

Paul.

Hi tom,  Agree with Martin on the healing process. Great to see you back and firing on all cylinders it appears, especially as the link to your old Modellers United pages no longer works so unable to  see all the older photo's any more.

Does this mean Askrigg is now on the back burner.

BrainH

Hi tom,  Agree with Martin on the healing process. Great to see you back and firing on all cylinders it appears, especially as the link to your old Modellers United pages no longer works so unable to  see all the older photo's any more.

Does this mean Askrigg is now on the back burner.

BrainH

Thanks Brian

Yes, Askrigg is on the back burner. I was trying to force myself into something different to try and reengage myself. Didn't really work and fell flat sadly.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

This layout and everything about it is just superb and it's great to see you posting on here again.

Couldn't agree with you more Tim. I've always been a great fan of your layout and stock Tom. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Agree 1

This layout and everything about it is just superb

Thanks CK.....it will look better once we lose the soil look!  :jester:

That's the basis of the static grass work. I'm going with a combination of static grass, (different fibres) and then teddy bear fur for large clumps of long grass.

Cwm Prysor taken back in 2015, you can see where the road now takes up the track bed.

post-24300-0-94163700-1535314149_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

As I'm 32 years of age, I never got to experience the steam age of the 1950's and 60's. Model railways were always about recreating the past the whole idea with Cwm Prysor, was that I could imagine I was sat there watching trains traverse the bleak landscape.

When the plan was to exhibit Cwm Prysor, I devised a sequence off the working timetable. As the layout will be home operated, I'll probably just work off a the real working timetable. Here is an example of passenger services in 1959. I also have a copy of the 1954 timetable, which gives me a few more trains to run.

post-24300-0-38270100-1535367490_thumb.jpeg

Freight by 1959 was the one pick up goods each way, however from photographs and some rare video footage, there seems to have been the odd supplement of goods regarding the power station construction.

For some superb footage of the line, check out the railway roundabout footage of the SLS special to Blaenau Ffestiniog, a week before closure.

The branch is featured from 1.00- 6.45. The highlight for me is from 3.24 where the camera is mounted through the spectacle plate and we see the line from Arenig wandering across the moorland and through Cwm Prysor station itself.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

This isn't the kind of layout that I would usually like simply because it's so simple.  That said, I cannot help but like this.  It oozes atmosphere, and has a sense of reality to it.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

Alex.

Superb stuff; you can almost feel the rain stinging your face!

Thank you! That's exactly the look I'm going for. Tony Wright is going to be painting the back scene at some point, and I'm wanting him to do something similar as to what he did on Rob Kinsey's layout 'Merthyr Riverside'.

post-24300-0-92953800-1535396294_thumb.jpg

copyright Tony Wright

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

It's been our village fete today, so the photos of the good stock will have to wait until tomorrow.

I've got one of the Oxford Rail Bala AA3 Toads on the way. Disappointed with the errors, but at £12.50 it's a descent price to do some modelling with. The main alteration will be the filling of the planked end....which should of course be flush and made to represent a steal end. It will then in due course be repainted.

Edited by 9793

Good to see you and the layout back.

Hi Tim, most kind of you! Clutton has always been an inspiration with it's grubby tank engines and crimson coaches in the open landscape.

When are you next out with the layout?

Edited by 9793

Hi Tim, most kind of you! Clutton has always been an inspiration with it's grubby tank engines and crimson coaches in the open landscape.

When are you next out with the layout?

Thanks for the kind comments.

Clutton retired from public exhibitions at Railwells this year, it won't be coming out again. After 39 shows (would have been 40, but for snow), it was beginning to show its age. Plus, none of us are getting any younger, I was 34 when I started it back in 1989!

Thanks for the kind comments.

Clutton retired from public exhibitions at Railwells this year, it won't be coming out again. After 39 shows (would have been 40, but for snow), it was beginning to show its age. Plus, none of us are getting any younger, I was 34 when I started it back in 1989!

That's a fair age and a good amount of outings! I'm glad I've been lucky to see it on a couple of occasions! 

post-24300-0-14361700-1535401689_thumb.jpg

• Like 7