around a mile of the line I'm modelling is now under a reservoir and still a sore point for a number of residents of the Afon Tryweryn Valley,  understandably (the reservoir is used to water Liverpool and portion of the North West of England).

Due to the recent weather which has resulted in the water levels dropping some of the old track bed has been exposed.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/drowned-railway-line-re-emerges-15050399.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

I'll be honest.... the wont be many a nice thing said about Oxford Rail in this house hold for the next few days.

Today, the plan had been to primer the Bala Toad, as I mentioned earlier, due to the planking error at the verandah end, I was going to have to repaint. Plus I had found that the allocations markings were in the incorrect places.

Firstly, I used some 20 thou plasticard to cover the incorrect wind at the rear. After the first coat of primer, it was clear that the filling of the planks hadn't worked, and the planks were very much visible. So I decided to overlay with 5 thou plasticard. Which worked well, until the solvent softened the plastic so the planks began to show, only slightly so a touch of squadron putty was used.

post-24300-0-08524600-1535751367_thumb.jpg

It was after doing the first overlaying, and looking at a photo of a steel AA1...that I realised Oxford had messed up at the other end too, so out came the 5 thou plasticard...this was more of an issue as the planks underneath hadn't been filled, and warped straight away. So there has been quite a bit of filling on top of the 5 thou overlay. There has been a lot of filing/sanding....the finish is smooth, odd bump in the light but I look at it as a good place to weather/rust....this AA3 was pretty old by the 1950s.

post-24300-0-68231900-1535751386_thumb.jpg

I have just now used a small piece of plasticard to fill the gap in the running board (a left over trait from the AA1 6 wheeler). 

post-24300-0-95951300-1535751402_thumb.jpg

Frustrating day, but I am feeling a sense of achievement at the end of all this. I'll give the ends a light spray with the primer. Ordered Archers Rivets to detail the ends, before the top coat of Railmatch.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Whoah! Don't do a thing, you've got that bang-on! The headstocks on a toad would take a real pasting. Plates not lining up quite right, that sort of thing. Looks just about right to me.

If it's any help, I'm restoring a real one, and yours is a good representation from a workaday, battered toad.

Cheers,

Ian.

Whoah! Don't do a thing, you've got that bang-on! The headstocks on a toad would take a real pasting. Plates not lining up quite right, that sort of thing. Looks just about right to me.

If it's any help, I'm restoring a real one, and yours is a good representation from a workaday, battered toad.

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Ian

That was my thoughts too, that actually the steel would be quite beaten up. What diagram of Toad are you work on?

I've just started stripping the transfers off the Hornby Toad ready for it's modifications from an AA15 into an AA19. These are cosmetic and not a true alterations. I'm not changing the axle boxes, merely the buffers, and some stanchion modifications on the footboards.

It will become W114929 allocation 'RUABON'.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ian

That was my thoughts too, that actually the steel would be quite beaten up. What diagram of Toad are you work on?

I've just started stripping the transfers off the Hornby Toad ready for it's modifications from an AA15 into an AA19. These are cosmetic and not a true alterations. I'm not changing the axle boxes, merely the buffers, and some stanchion modifications on the footboards.

It will become W114929 allocation 'RUABON'.

I'm working on an AA23 toad, 35978/45 Currently at Blaenavon. Can I suggest the bible GWR Goods vehicles Atkins-Tourret (that is, if you haven't got it already).

happy modelling,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers,

Ian.

What Ian said.

Tonight has seen more Toad work.

The AA3 has had new lamp irons front and rear fitted. I've also given it it's last waft of primer. Next stage is waiting for some plastic tubing to arrive for a new chimney.

post-24300-0-37600400-1535836982_thumb.jpg

I've also started work on the 'other' Toad. This AA15 as I mentioned is to become an AA19. It's not a strict conversion, I'm not altering the spring/j hangars and axle boxes as I do not wish to upset the running quality. The main changes have been the fitting of wire to represent the later stanchion types at the end of the footboards, and the changing to 1'6" RCH buffers (Lanarkshire Models). I've also fitted instanter couplings.

post-24300-0-62986800-1535836954_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-35213400-1535836937_thumb.jpg

Next stage will be fitting some wire replacement side lamp irons, as I'm going to be fixing MODELU lamps here permanently, wire will suffice. She will be given light waft with primer before the topcoat of rail match, which I'll probably do at the same time as I do the AA3.

Finally this evening, I've been printing off prototype photos of the crossing keepers house and PW hut, all ready to send to Bob Dawson for him to build in due course.

post-24300-0-56604300-1535837696_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 4

Caught up with my friend Ian Fleming today, whom some of you will know, at Darlington Model Railway Exhibition. Finally was able to pick these vans up that Ian had been keeping hold of until we found chance to meet. It's always bitter sweet to obtain items like this knowing that the reason you have them, is because the builder is no longer with us.

post-24300-0-36051200-1535898580_thumb.jpg

They are pretty decent, may need some new wheels and titivation. The non fitted stock will have a straight repaint, although the bauxite stock may just need the weathering stripping off before rebranding to post war.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2

Due to the recent weather which has resulted in the water levels dropping some of the old track bed has been exposed.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/drowned-railway-line-re-emerges-15050399.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Just watched the news video and read the accompanying article from the link. It would be interesting to know how it would have been routed if the line diversion had been built.

• Like 1

I did see the trackbed emerging from the lake on Thursday.

Somebody online couldn’t understand why the track bed is tarmaced. I presume logic would say it’s because the construction company tarmaced for construction vehicles of the dam.

Edited by 9793

Messing around with one of the vans I acquired yesterday.

This I believe is an early LNER van  (diagram 16). I have a fondness for these vans, since I saw a photo of one behind a 74XX coming out of Blaenau Ffestiniog. This is a product of Kirk kits and for it's age, it's very nice. No weight has been added, so I'll pop some under the floor. I've added new wheels, new Morton gear (I clumsily broke it, so replaced with an offering from Cambrian). 

post-24300-0-44262300-1536001282_thumb.jpg

The buffers were incorrect (for the 1950's at least), so I've added some cast white metal ones from Lanarkshire.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Messing around with one of the vans I acquired yesterday.

This I believe is an early LNER van  (diagram 16). I have a fondness for these vans, since I saw a photo of one behind a 74XX coming out of Blaenau Ffestiniog. This is a product of Kirk kits and for it's age, it's very nice. No weight has been added, so I'll pop some under the floor. I've added new wheels, new Morton gear (I clumsily broke it, so replaced with an offering from Cambrian). 

attachicon.gif40645161_1603015136666697_3097561243150450688_n.jpg

The buffers were incorrect (for the 1950's at least), so I've added some cast white metal ones from Lanarkshire.

Tom what buffers and couplings are you using and from where?

Actually what is you general coupling scheme save me going back and studying the photos!

Cheers

Ade

Actually what is you general coupling scheme save me going back and studying the photos!

Cheers

Ade

From memory Tom uses Masokit screw links and slaters 3 link. Though that could have changed.

Ps good to see you back modelling Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tom - I very much like what you've been doing to your AA3 brake van - is there a good source of photos showing both ends of the prototype van, please, from which one could work when re-plating the Oxford model?

Also, can you possibly advise which product code for the Lanarkshire buffers you used, please?

Many thanks.

Cheers

Ade

From memory Tom uses Masokit screw links and slaters 3 link. Though that could have changed.

Ps good to see you back modelling Tom.

Thanks Ade, Brocp is right, I use Masokit Screwlinks, a little fiddly but an etch will make a good few up, and they look the part when done! 3 links I now use a different method. I use etched hooks and loose chain from Ambis and make them up quite easily with a pair of pliers. The hooks are a nice size, not as over scale as Smiths though, and they do different hooks for BR, RCH etc.

Hi Tom - I very much like what you've been doing to your AA3 brake van - is there a good source of photos showing both ends of the prototype van, please, from which one could work when re-plating the Oxford model?

Also, can you possibly advise which product code for the Lanarkshire buffers you used, please?

Many thanks.

The Best book I can think of which has shown a couple of end shots of AA1s the Cheona Publications book 'British Railway Wagons No 5 'Cattle & Brake Vans'. There is a verandah shot also of the Bala Toad in the foxline book 'Bala Junction to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

The Buffers for the LNER van and Hornby Toad (now AA19) are B003 '1'6"

A new book arrived this morning, 'Ifor Higgon's Cambrian Diary' with 3 lovely shots on the Branch. Two on Cwm Prysor viaduct, and the third is stunning!!! It shows a goods train climbing towards Arenig, hauled by 8750 '9669' while being banked by sister loco '4617'. There is a lovely shot of I believe an AA15 Toad behind, which I've included below (I've only included a small amount, purely for research purposes).

If only the name was clearer, as I'd love to know where it was allocated.... thoughts welcome! It looks like several words, which made me wonder if it was Croes Newydd No?

I have on the Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet 'Croes Newydd No 5' but that is listed as an AA23.

post-24300-0-33670500-1536075031_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

Thanks for the above, Tom, most useful.

No problem! Happy to help!

Given up trying to guess what that Toad says! I'll stick with doing this as the AA19 from Ruabon. May add extra bracing for a bit of variety.

• Like 1

Very nice photo Tom, I find the PO wagon of particular interest! I do like a well-worn coal wagon!

Best wishes,

Nick.

Ah well..... you will like these Nick!  ;)

One of my ex PO's  (and other Cwm Prysor stock) taken by Alan Buttler (Modelu), on Geoff Taylor's 'Barmouth Junction'.

post-24300-0-82891400-1536093446_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Very nice sir. 

I made these examples from Parkside kits ages ago. I followed the article in MRJ by CraigW. They look quite green, but the lighting wasn't great. Each plank was painted individually using Games Workshop acrylics. 

post-7376-0-48813400-1536093633_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-88602800-1536093677_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-92116900-1536093700_thumb.jpg

post-7376-0-21486000-1536093714_thumb.jpg

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 3

Very nice sir. 

I made these examples from Parkside kits ages ago. I followed the article in MRJ by CraigW. They look quite green, but the lighting wasn't great. Each plank was painted individually using Games Workshop acrylics. 

attachicon.gifIMG_5046.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5050.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_5051.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_5052.jpg

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Not at all Nick, I like the interiors in particular! 

I'm really enjoying getting back into wagons. This was my two exPOs taken outdoors a couple of years back.

post-24300-0-47830400-1536094733_thumb.jpg

Both the Presflo and the 16T are probably the stock I'm most pleased with. I've another presflo to get weathered soon (I'm going to need a few!)

post-24300-0-54679200-1536094779_thumb.jpg

In the meantime, I've now decided to fully alter my AA15, by removing the axle boxes, springs and J hangars to correct RCH fittings. I might as well go the whole way and do it properly! 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

They are very good Tom, I particularly like the weathering. I noticed on your blog you use Revell paint for BR unfitted wagons: I do agree with you, many shades of BR grey paint (in my opinion) are far too dark when replicated on models. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

They are very good Tom, I particularly like the weathering. I noticed on your blog you use Revell paint for BR unfitted wagons: I do agree with you, many shades of BR grey paint (in my opinion) are far too dark when replicated on models. 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Yes Revell 76 (I think off the top of my head) has a nice blue tinge to it, another tip picked up from Ian Fleming. I'm mixing my BR Grey's a bit using Rail Match late Grey (309) which is what I painted these two LMS Vans with.

post-24300-0-43842600-1536095321_thumb.jpg

• Like 5