• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ade, Brocp is right, I use Masokit Screwlinks, a little fiddly but an etch will make a good few up, and they look the part when done! 3 links I now use a different method. I use etched hooks and loose chain from Ambis and make them up quite easily with a pair of pliers. The hooks are a nice size, not as over scale as Smiths though, and they do different hooks for BR, RCH etc.]

Cheers Tom first Google of Masonite Screwlinks doesn’t throw up much of a source.

It did throw up this layout on Western Thunder lots more reading and admiring to do there. Glad a year later you’ve found it within to crack on.

Cheers

Ade

Edit wording-:

Edited by AdeMoore

Cheers Tom first Google of Masonite Screwlinks doesn’t throw up much of a source.

It did throw up this layout on Western Thunder lots more reading and admiring to do there. Glad a year later you’ve found it within to crack on.

Cheers

Ade

Edit wording-:

I’ll check in the morning for you Ade, but I think it’s on the Scale Four site (mail order). I need to order some more lamp irons!

So regarding my AA19....I’ve made a start (some would say I’m mad!)

post-24300-0-33320500-1536101856_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi folks, but just an observation... You wouldn't normally find screwlinks on a Western Toad. As a rule, they had instanters. The earlier type were a cast chain, with the later style being a drop-forged link.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Agreed, both these Toads have instanters on.

Ambiss do two instanter types, RCH and BR which adds a nice bit of variety. I think there is a photo on an earlier chassis photo from a few days ago.

Edited by 9793

Tom, it was remiss of me not to welcome you back earlier. Make the most of the enthusiasm that you have harnessed!

Chris

Many thanks Chris! Hope to catch up soon (I'm having to pass on Expo this year, not until I'm earning again!)

Frustration today!

Once I had cut away the axle boxes, I realised that I was going to need to fit bearings (with the pin point of the axle exposed, it would eventually wear the plastic). So I opened the W iron holes out, just enough to fit the bearings. I test fitted the shoulder bearings only to find they were forcing the W irons out. So I've ordered some waisted bearings, which have to be fitted outside of the W irons (carefully) with super glue.....just hope the axle boxes will fit over the waisted bearings.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a fair age and a good amount of outings! I'm glad I've been lucky to see it on a couple of occasions! 

attachicon.gifIMG_0391.jpg

I thought that looked familiar, I have a couple of almost identical shots from Woking Show a few years ago.  Clutton was stunning and Cwm Prysor looks like going the same way.....

I thought that looked familiar, I have a couple of almost identical shots from Woking Show a few years ago.  Clutton was stunning and Cwm Prysor looks like going the same way.....

Thanks Northmoor, lets not jump the gun though.....we've not seen my scenic work yet!  :laugh:

After some fettling with the Toad, and adding support brackets to the side, I decided to go out and actually operate the layout, using the 1954 timetable.

Bala Fiddle Yard

post-24300-0-10416000-1536182517_thumb.jpg

Blaenau Fiddle Yard

post-24300-0-55499400-1536182533_thumb.jpg

Like the main layout boards, the fiddle yard was laser cut by Tim Horn

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Continuing to be impressed and inspired by this.

Apologies if you have already said this elsewhere on the thread, but how big is the scenic section?  The openness and barrenness of the scenery, couple with the simple plan make it look big.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Northmoor, lets not jump the gun though.....we've not seen my scenic work yet!  :laugh:

After some fettling with the Toad, and adding support brackets to the side, I decided to go out and actually operate the layout, using the 1954 timetable.

Bala Fiddle Yard

attachicon.gif41267222_585470648537174_2494171432448163840_n.jpg

Blaenau Fiddle Yard

attachicon.gif40918809_2071193746266208_3295397628761604096_n.jpg

Like the main layout boards, the fiddle yard was laser cut by Tim Horn

That's the cleanest and most hygenic-looking fiddle yard that I think I've ever seen!

Hi again,

Continuing to be impressed and inspired by this.

Apologies if you have already said this elsewhere on the thread, but how big is the scenic section? The openness and barrenness of the scenery, couple with the simple plan make it look big.

Thanks and regards,

Alex.

Hi Alex

The scenic section is 10ft long and 2ft wide. I really wanted to capture the look of a layout lost in the landscape, with small trains surrounded by bleak terrain.

The Fiddle Yards are 3 foot 5 each.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers

Ade

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2012/03/15/fifteen-minute-heroes/

A quick how to on Masokits screw couplings here, including the ordering link. Masokits are old school though, no web site, payment only via cheque or postal order. The turn round is pretty quick nevertheless :)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex

The scenic section is 10ft long and 2ft wide. I really wanted to capture the look of a layout lost in the landscape, with small trains surrounded by bleak terrain.

The Fiddle Yards are 3 foot 5 each.

I'd say you've succeeded...  I'm familiar with the area, and the scenery is, well, BIG!

• Like 1

I'd say you've succeeded...  I'm familiar with the area, and the scenery is, well, BIG!

Many Thanks, and yes I think it does look about right. It's amazing how wide 2ft really is!

In the next few weeks I will be turning my attention to scenics. The plan is to start with small static grass fibres as a general layer, mix of green and yellow fibres. I had talked about wanting to depict the long marsh like grass familiar on moorland, as seen in these photos on one of my many visits to this wonderfully wild part of Merioneth (these photos were taken on the trackbed about 3 miles east of Trawsfynydd).

post-24300-0-94830000-1536241006_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-40953500-1536241073_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-65185300-1536241092_thumb.jpg

I ordered these scenic tufts which I think should do the job (and I'll be buying more) which I think bulked together, trimmed and enhanced with other fibres, should help create the scene.

post-24300-0-17290400-1536240980_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

In post 30 do you know what the three words are below "Bala R.U." on the van side?

Gordon A

Possibly Blaenau Ffestiniog Brake.

Almost, ‘Blaenau Festiniog Branch’ (notice incorrect spelling of Ffestiniog). John Isherwood updated the BALA transfers to include it on my request a year or so back.

Not so sure about the correctness Tom. The Welsh language "authenticity" changed in the last fifty or sixty years sometimes quite subtly. 

I cannot prove it right now but I am guessing Festiniog became Ffestiniog in the same way that Portmadoc has become Porthmadog, and maybe even more recent than when Towyn (Merioneth) became Tywyn, to avoid the mixup with Towyn on the North Wales coast. I remember being taught (prior to 1978) that Shrewsbury in England is known as Amwythig in Welsh, and maybe this is a little like non-German speakers spelling Wien as Vienna or Koeln as Cologne.

Languages eh !!!

I had always presumed (possibly incorrectly) that the spellings of Festiniog, Portmadoc, were the english spellings, which were corrected to the welsh spellings over the past 50 years.

Connected to the branch, is this superb historical video documenting the flooding of the Tryweryn Valley.....still a bitter memory for many, and in fairness I can totally understand why. Worth a watch, plus 57XX 5774 climbing with a loaded Presflo train.

Cofiwch Tryweryn

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1

Lovely layout. Do you know the make of the crimson paint used on your E147?

Thanks Pteremy

I do indeed, as I gave the can of it  to Jonathan Wealleans for painting.

Halford's Ford Rosso Red. Very pleased with the colour.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful, atmospheric photos there, Tom.

Do the skies up there ever look anything other than ominous, I wonder?

No.  They look ominous even when it's bright and sunny.  This is Welsh Wales, it's supposed to be a bit grim...

No.  They look ominous even when it's bright and sunny.  This is Welsh Wales, it's supposed to be a bit grim...

It's what I love about the branch and this part of Wales.

I've ordered the guard from Modelu that has his coat collar pulled up like it's blowing a gale and he would rather be somewhere else. He'll be posed perfectly on Cwm Prysor! :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had always presumed (possibly incorrectly) that the spellings of Festiniog, Portmadoc, were the english spellings, which were corrected to the welsh spellings over the past 50 years.

Connected to the branch, is this superb historical video documenting the flooding of the Tryweryn Valley.....still a bitter memory for many, and in fairness I can totally understand why. Worth a watch, plus 57XX 5774 climbing with a loaded Presflo train.

Cofiwch Tryweryn

Fascinating little film, it's well worth watching right through!