• RMweb Premium

Interesting comments regarding coaches.

Personally, I'm really pleased with the free running on both kit coaches (one built by me with help from Tony Wright) and the other by Jonathan Wealleans. I always wanted to have 3 link and screw link couplings on my stock. I also have it designed that my Panniers and there coach run onto separate cassettes so that the coach stays the same way round (as it really would have, it wouldn't have been turned), yet the Pannier/loco can be turned around (as it would have been at either Bala or Manod). So to have working screw links that allow for loco and coach to not be fixed, may mean there is a touch of bouncing.

Personally it's not something that had concerned me or I had noticed until recent comments.

I would think about soldering up the coupling concerned so that it forms a rigid link.

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, both locos and coaches have masokit couplings, and have both coupled as close as they can be. I'd say masokits are fairly close to scale, certainly not the overscale Romfords.

My mistake. Apologies.

Need to clean my glasses, maybe.

I notice that they are modelled as if at full extension. Can the coach couplings be assembled to look as if they have tighter up somewhat?

One of those really, it doesn't really bother me and they run incredibly smoothly.....maybe the operators need to take more care! ;)

Ah, but what about the look of it: they buffer heads would be touching on the real thing?

My mistake. Apologies.

Need to clean my glasses, maybe.

I notice that they are modelled as if at full extension. Can the coach couplings be assembled to look as if they have tighter up somewhat?

Ah, but what about the look of it: they buffer heads would be touching on the real thing?

I generally have the locos using their couplings, which are scale distance. On one coach it was a struggle using the locos coupling so used the coach. One end of the coach coupling is extended due to the long nature of the buffers and just to allow more freedom.

I’ll have a think, maybe soldering the link is an idea. However I don’t want to start messing with things that alter how I operate my stock, plus with the intention of Capel Celyn and 3ft (and maybe 2ft 6) curves.

Edited by 9793

• RMweb Gold

I’ll have a think, maybe soldering the link is an idea. However I don’t want to start messing with things that alter how I operate my stock, plus with the intention of Capel Celyn and 3ft (and maybe 2ft 6) curves.

Ah. That might be a show stopper.

Never mind.

I generally have the locos using their couplings, which are scale distance. On one coach it was a struggle using the locos coupling so used the coach. One end of the coach coupling is extended due to the long nature of the buffers and just to allow more freedom.

Tom,

I was going to make the same comment as St Enodoc.

If you think about it , it shouldn't alter the way you operate your stock as all you are doing is making the links rigid, which is how they are under strain anyway!

Actually I should think it would make it easier to use them if they are rigid, as you do not have the hassles of the loose links, while trying to couple up.

Very much in the same vain as this:  http://platform1mrc.com/p1mrc/index.php?threads/episode-105-18-the-gormo-3-link-coupling-system.2987/

Whether you glue or solder is a moot point.

Khris

Edited by kandc_au

Tom,

The video is excellent. The weathering of the stock is quite something and I love the angle looking up when the goods train has shunted and is backing back on to its train.

Stunning work (a huge fan of the fencing) and lovely to see you Dad and dog waiting for the train too.

More videos please!

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm, both locos and coaches have masokit couplings, and have both coupled as close as they can be. I'd say masokits are fairly close to scale, certainly not the overscale Romfords.

One of those really, it doesn't really bother me and they run incredibly smoothly.....maybe the operators need to take more care! ;)

I wouldn't worry, Tom. If it looks OK to you, then that should be enough. I didn't notice anything amiss myself and the video was fab.

You are entirely correct in that you also have to think of the practical limitations of using scale or near-scale 3-links and screwlinks. Sprung buffers mentioned by Simon are never a bad idea, especially when propelling goods stock, but unless you have particularly heavy stock, I'd say there was a risk of stuff derailing on sharper curves or through the curve in some points, should you install some as part of your layout extension.

Edited by Captain Kernow

Would making the couplings rigid create an issue still for Curves?

Tom,

I can't see why!

When you consider if everything while moving is under tension, it would effectively be straight whether it be going along a straight or around a curve.

It really depends on whether it bothers YOU at the end of the day.

Just something to think about.

Khris

Fantastic video...but not as fantastic as the Dr Who theme!

Ah, I guess you saw one of my other videos then! ;)

Thanks all! Glad the videos been well received. Now I can look to starting on the grass work (at last....I know!!)

Good operating session today. Some interesting timetable issues which will be resolved.

Please be aware the background steam sound is nothing to do with the loco (although it is DCC). It was just a recording we had going in the background to add some ambience! ;)

Lovely stuff, Tom,

And great weathering. 

Thanks for posting this. 

Lovely stuff, Tom,

And great weathering. 

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Tony! Much appreciated, it’s taken time but we are getting there!

Probably the biggest thing we learned on Saturday operating, was that I need more wagons! Which is a good thing! I have all these in the wings!

post-24300-0-90253300-1539588546_thumb.jpeg

The presflo is a modified Bachmann blue circle variant, while the painted but not yet lettered vans are kits I’ve built. The other vans are ones I purchased the other month awaiting repaint/modifications.

• Like 10

Following up on my first post on this thread, I’m now about 96% convinced that changing direction is going to be the way forward for me.

Therefore just a quick operating question to help the last 4%: Cwm Prysor is a single line with a siding, limited passenger and freight services and (I assume) operated on the “one engine in steam” principle; does it provide operational interest or is it mainly watching trains pass through?

Following up on my first post on this thread, I’m now about 96% convinced that changing direction is going to be the way forward for me.

Therefore just a quick operating question to help the last 4%: Cwm Prysor is a single line with a siding, limited passenger and freight services and (I assume) operated on the “one engine in steam” principle; does it provide operational interest or is it mainly watching trains pass through?

I think there is something of watching the trains, plus I love the bleak landscape. My friend Simon and I enjoyed operating the layout, there is a good number of trains coming through. I think the fact I’m going to be extending adds to that, but overall I feel I’m running a real railway.

• RMweb Gold

The more important question is whether or not it is likely to provide sufficient operational interest for you.

For some modellers Cwm Prysor would be boring and dull. For a number, it might even be too much: not everyone wants to run things.

What do you want? Quantity or quality of operation?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks dn

Regarding the scenic break at the Bala end, I granite knoll would be out of place as the land opens up before swinging around towards Arenig, here is a good example of how things looked roughly where the Bala portal was positioned.

https://flic.kr/p/KtsBx9

So I will cover the portal with a scots pine tree, and a couple opposite.

I'm amazed tonight to have found two stunning photos of Cwm Prysor Halt just after the closure of the line. The shows the far wall that I've longed to find a photo of....and to my surprise, the whole wall is fully slated like the west end.

attachicon.gif44312877695_e74f659607_b.jpg

attachicon.gif44501523814_e5ad205a23_k.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2avM5GF

https://flic.kr/p/2aNrWBY

Not granite, slate.  The nearest granite outcrop is at Penmaenmawr on the North Coast; the local geology is slate, though not of a marketable quality for roofing which explains the lack of quarries.  Rhobell, to the south, is igneous rock of volcanic origin.  Slate, in geological terms, is an originally sedimentary rock, shales and mudstones of the sort laid down originally in deep seabed situations, that has been compressed, which is what gives it it's ability to be split into thin sheets for roofing, and altered in structure by heat and pressure deep in the crust at one time.  It is therefore a 'metamorphic' rock, as opposed to sedimentary or igneous.  

Granite is igneous, formed of molten magma that has cooled and solidified over a long period of time, usually the sort of magma chamber that acts as a reservoir for an active volcano whose source of heat is removed by tectonic plate movement.  The time it takes to cool allows large crystal structures to form, making it attractive as a facing stone for architectural purposes or kitchen worktops.  Along with basalt, it is the most commonly occurring igneous rock and is, in composition, exactly the same thing, but basalt is lava that has erupted on to the surface, therefore cooling very quickly exposed to the atmosphere.

Geology lesson over for today, children, let's get back to the trains...

• RMweb Gold

Tom, what you do with Cwm Prysor is up to you. If you don't like the rules, change the rules! Obviously, something is working for you, otherwise you wouldn't be generating this level of debate.

Crack on, I say. I think I'm in the majority here.

Ian.

And - geek alert - granite and basalt are not '..in composition, exactly the same thing'... But maybe we can celebrate that 'Arenig' is a geological period, in the lower Ordovician. The bleakness of the railway is sort of in keeping with the deep time recorded in the rocks.

" I think there is something of watching the trains, plus I love the bleak landscape. My friend Simon and I enjoyed operating the layout, there is a good number of trains coming through. I think the fact I’m going to be extending adds to that, but overall I feel I’m running a real railway". 

Far better to feel that you are running a railway than simply playing trains Tom.  I find its very rewarding trying to capture the atmosphere of a certain place and time, I think you have discovered that as well.

Geoff

• Like 1

The more important question is whether or not it is likely to provide sufficient operational interest for you.

For some modellers Cwm Prysor would be boring and dull. For a number, it might even be too much: not everyone wants to run things.

What do you want? Quantity or quality of operation?

Quality, as my current attempt is becoming more and more of a monster, which is why I’m thinking of taking a different direction!

I probably phrased myself badly earlier; I assumed that Cwm Prysor’s siding was little used in the era modelled and that train movements were limited to a single train on the line at a time with little need for shunting.

I wanted to know if this perceived level of activity was sufficient to allow for engaging single person operation to a prototype timetable while still enabling the operator to enjoy “trains in the landscape”.

As this seems to be the case, I’m now 99% decided that the “Cwm Prysor-esqe layout” is the route my layout will take.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it very much can be as much fun as you need. The key is to allow for the time involved on the real railway for all the various operations, such as the guard screwing down the brakes in his van, plus pinning down some more, then uncoupling, walking to the engine to get the key for the groundframe, unlocking the latter, coupling/uncoupling in the siding, and more shunting, then the who,e lot in reverse order to reassemble the train and set off. An American friend actually uses a scale figure, moving him about at scale walking pace to the various required positions before actually making the train move. Possibly a little extreme, but also fun. (Just don’t let any family finding you doing this, as they may think you have finally gone round the bend...)

Concentrating on quality of movement was highlighted by the late John Allison as long ago as October 1977 in his seminal article on his 0 gauge Porth-y-Waen layout in Railway Modeller. It applies increasingly to all scales as mechanisms get better and better and couplings both more reliable and more unobtrusive.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1