For which you and the popularity of this thread must take some credit IMHO, Tom.  With great modelling comes great responsibility...

Oh I don't know about that, it's an interesting line so I am not surprised the book is selling well, however your kind words are appreciated. :)

Another operating session coming up on Saturday, I've now amended the sequence to allow for some further operator information. We shall also be armed with pencils to allow for suggestions/amendments as we go along! 

post-24300-0-61714200-1543268627_thumb.png

Edited by 9793
  • Like 4

Morning all!

Not done a mass of modelling since my last post. Done some more bits on 5811 but nothing substancial. Adding the Bala fiddle yard shelf tonight ready for tomorrow’s operating session.

A little something I will be adding to the layout, is the Down Stop Sign. There were two of these at the summit, with the up one being pictured just beyond Cwm Prysor towards Arenig.

post-24300-0-18611200-1543574631_thumb.jpeg

This is off scene so will not be pictured, however the down board be placed directly opposite the siding. The purpose was so the guard could pin down the brakes prior to the long descent to Trawsfynydd and beyond. Geoff Taylor has kindly made up the writing which will be printered and then attached to white card on a piece of 60 thou square.

post-24300-0-60191500-1543574684.jpeg

• Like 5

Spent the morning tidying the thread for tomorrows operating session, plus finally fitting the shelves in the Bala fiddle yard.....then headed to the dentists for a filling.... the feeling has just returned to the left side of my mouth!

post-24300-0-79877500-1543603129_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-02371400-1543603145_thumb.jpg

I've introduced extra stock to be used which is technically 'unfinished' as you can see, but it just allows us more stock to be run in the sequence.

post-24300-0-13148000-1543603163_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A couple of nice photos just posted on Flickr by Roger Joanes

45612284432_618936b60e_c.jpgBlaenau Ffestiniog Central station looking towards Bala. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

44937961524_196fa0be7c_c.jpgTrawsfynydd. No. 3749 & train for Bala. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

And the final destination of that cement

44937962734_538ae18efb_c.jpgTan-y-Grisiau. Building the dam. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

• Like 16

A couple of nice photos just posted on Flickr by Roger Joanes

Blaenau Ffestiniog Central station looking towards Bala. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

Trawsfynydd. No. 3749 & train for Bala. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

And the final destination of that cement

Tan-y-Grisiau. Building the dam. 27.8.59 by Roger Joanes, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing those Andy! I do not think I've seen them before!

As you correctly say, the Stwlan Dam was the destination for the cement. It's interesting how in the branches last years, it had a fascinating increase in goods traffic for the Dam and Trawsfynydd Nuclear Power Station.

I notice the date of August 59, the final summer of passenger services. They ceased in January 1960.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing those Andy! I do not think I've seen them before!

Roger Joanes has only just posted them. It's definitely worth exploring his Flickr pages; he seems to have been incredibly prolific, have traveled widely and maintained a very high standard. He must be quite a veteran now but he's evidently still traveling and photographing.

On a point of detail, the 'ash' you use in blending the roadway for the road crossing - is that fine sand (silt), as might be left behind as a residue of burning coal, or the burnt carbon from wood/coal, or maybe a combination of the two? That is, is it the fine graininess that makes it suitable for blending with the ballast, or the colour - or possibly both?

On a point of detail, the 'ash' you use in blending the roadway for the road crossing - is that fine sand (silt), as might be left behind as a residue of burning coal, or the burnt carbon from wood/coal, or maybe a combination of the two? That is, is it the fine graininess that makes it suitable for blending with the ballast, or the colour - or possibly both?

I suspect it is a mixture of both coal and wood as I have a natural fire. The ash is very nice for blending in, and something I picked up from Gordon Gravatt's book.

A very enjoyable operating session today.

The new sequence, which is essentially an edited version of the 1956 WTT with the SO removed, worked well and balances out nicely. I need to make a couple of notes on the sequence to aide operators , which can be added to a future version.

One train which was interesting to run, was the 4.54pm off Trawsfynydd to Bala. This train sits at Trawsfynydd after working in from Bala, and then returns back 30 minutes later. The fact it's at Trawsfynydd for such a short time, means it will run bunker first back to Bala (as the turntable at Tan-Y-Manod is 8 miles away). What is intriguing is for whatever reason, according to the WTT it is the only train not to stop at Cwm Prysor.

Here is the said train with 9793.

post-24300-0-17265700-1543686600_thumb.jpg

Many thanks to Simon for coming over again, discussion today has certainly given me some other ideas to think about regarding planning for the future. In the mean time though, I need to crack on with getting some more wagons finished (along with 5774 and 5811).

Edited by 9793
  • Like 15

I have missed ho w you bind your materials - but sufficient to say that I have simply used wall paper adhesive to bind fine sands, silts and coals - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-10491-how-many-shades-of-grey/ - and now five years or more later they are still very much intact.

I suspect it is a mixture of both coal and wood as I have a natural fire. The ash is very nice for blending in, and something I picked up from Gordon Gravatt's book.

Loved the black and white pictures - quite historic.

Cheers Ray

Tonights labours, returning to 5774.

Those who have been following this thread from the beginning, will remember this was the loco took the scalpel to and began calving off the pipe work and top feed. Well tonight I finally began adding some of the details. Looking at photos, the late crest on Panniers varies it's position. Some would have BRITISH or RAILWAYS depending on which side you are viewing, over the other side of that centre tank seam. Others would have the early crest directly above the toolbox. After looking at several photos of 5774 I realised her crest was somewhat half way between the two and thats where I've roughly placed it. Crests are from Fox and cab side plates are from Modelmaster.

post-24300-0-19533600-1543786118_thumb.jpg

Next stage is to fit the Shawplan laser glaze, vac and steam pipes, screw links, before the fitting the buffer shank steps. Then it will be onto weathering! Those who have the new 'Bala Branch' book, will see that 5774 when photographed in 1959 seems to have chalk writing across the smokebox. My thoughts are it's possible instructions on what may need 'doing' on the loco once it returns to Croes Newydd, or perhaps what has been 'done' on the loco. Any other thoughts?

post-24300-0-19533600-1543786118_thumb.jpg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 11

First thing that comes to mind is a boiler washout, especially chalked on the smokebox door, but this would normally take place every 10 working days and presumably not need any chalked reminder.  

Thanks TJ.

I have a very clear photo in one book of a Machynlleth 74XX on the Barmouth Shuttle. This has clear chalk markings on it's smokebox door too, readable in fact! When I get home tonight I'll try and find it and I'll post exactly what it says. It may give an idea of what 5774's chalk markings say.

Just on my lunch break and I’m reading this ‘Welsh Railways - A Photographers View’ by Alan Jarvis. I was put onto this book by chrisf.

post-24300-0-84576100-1543844170_thumb.jpeg

Full of photos covering the Western Region from the Welsh Valleys through to Mid and North Wales. Stunning colour photos, certainly excellent reference for weathering, not only locos but in particularly, wagons.

post-24300-0-56337600-1543844084_thumb.jpeg

Edited by 9793
  • Like 7

Thanks TJ.

I have a very clear photo in one book of a Machynlleth 74XX on the Barmouth Shuttle. This has clear chalk markings on it's smokebox door too, readable in fact! When I get home tonight I'll try and find it and I'll post exactly what it says. It may give an idea of what 5774's chalk markings say.

Hi there,

In Michael S. Welch's "Great Western Branch Lines 2 - Rural Wales", there is a photo of No. 7442 with chalk markings on its smokebox door which may be the one you are thinking of. The writing says "New Valves", and there seem to be some initials - RC and WJ, it looks like. There is also a series of numbers, which could be 11462 or 1/462 (I assume this is a date, but of course it could be something else.

• RMweb Gold

It occurs that the smokebox door is a good place to chalk reminders or instructions for jobs that can be done while the loco is out of service for washouts, as the washout procedure involves the door being opened quite a bit!  Once the boiler is drained down, the loco is 'available' for work that does not involve the boiler or the necessity of the loco being moved or lifted, and may as well be done while the loco is there and not being used.

Hi there,

In Michael S. Welch's "Great Western Branch Lines 2 - Rural Wales", there is a photo of No. 7442 with chalk markings on its smokebox door which may be the one you are thinking of. The writing says "New Valves", and there seem to be some initials - RC and WJ, it looks like. There is also a series of numbers, which could be 11462 or 1/462 (I assume this is a date, but of course it could be something else.

You have saved me a job for tonight! That is indeed the photo I was thinking of.

My decision now is whether to weather (pun intended) the writing (at least a representation) onto 5774’s smokebox door.

• Like 1

Here is the said train with 9793.

post-24300-0-17265700-1543686600_thumb.j

Nice looking coach...a kit or converted RTR?

Paul

Hi Paul

It's a Collett Diagram E157 Brake Composite. Nobody produced a kit, so I commissioned Worsley Works to produce the sides. It's essentially new sides on Comet Models E147 kit.

Edited by 9793