• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom

This is fabulous stuff, it's great to be able to watch the next stages in the evolution of Cwm Prysor.

The standard that you have achieved in your scenic work so far has been so convincing in no small part due to its sheer consistency - even in its unfinished state the overall mood is extremely evocative.

I can understand that applying the first areas of grass will temporarily disrupt that uniformity, but keep the faith and keep posting, this is going to raise the layout to another level entirely!

Best Wishes

Martin

Edited by MPR
  • Like 1

I think that the theory behind the base layer is that it corresponds to the main growing (often clump) part of the grass as opposed to the taller flower/seed spikes. The colour contrast will vary throughout the year. So in June/July as the the taller seed spikes develop, they will change from unripe green, often developing a purple tinge as they ripen, through to golden when fully ripe. By Autumn (which I think is what you want) the contrast is 'living green' and the yellow/straw of the taller by now dead seed heads.  

Hello

You may have mentioned this before, but what have you used as your substrate to the landscaping ? As a compliment, I like the photos of the bare scapes you have posted, though I don't know much of the area you're modeling, I do like the openness.

Regards

• Like 1

Hello

You may have mentioned this before, but what have you used as your substrate to the landscaping ? As a compliment, I like the photos of the bare scapes you have posted, though I don't know much of the area you're modeling, I do like the openness.

Regards

Hi Chris

I used industrial polystyrene which was glued together where the height was needed, then swapped  with polystyrene cutter (available from Hobbycraft and produced by Woodland Scenics) before covering in Mod rock.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

2 hours ago, 9793 said:

5774 passes Cwm Prysor with the Pengwern Goods (5.55am off Ruabon), destined for Blaenau Ffestiniog.DSC05174.jpg.eac2c57826a1960731f5cfdf76d361ce.jpg

The layout is now fully grassed. :)

And fantastic it looks for it (and it looked pretty damned decent before)! Excellent work, Tom. 

Inspirational. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Did someone mention Sheep?

It looks like nature's lawnmowers have already done their job but I'm sure that it will grow a bit given time :)

It's nice to see the difference a bit of greenery makes!

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dseagull said:

Looks superb Tom. The greenery really sets off the subtlety in the weathering of the rolling stock, and the ballasting is as good as any I've seen. 

Thanks dseagull!
I can finally breath a huge sigh of relief, as I was rather nervous how it might have ended up!
I'm not planning to do the top layer yet, there are few more things to work out (some dry stone walling). The crossing keepers cottage will be arriving in the next couple of months, which will really bring the place to life!

I became a little emotional earlier standing back and looking at the layout in all it's greenery.

I began planning modelling this part of the world, four and half years ago. I didn't feel in a great place, I'd been treated pretty badly by a couple of people in the hobby and wanted to do something different from what I'd done previously (North Eastern/exLNER). After a rocky road with its ups and downs....things are finally coming together.

My only wish.......that Dad could have been here to see this.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Tom, your skill in creating lovely understated faithful recreations of your chosen prototype has many admiring followers, including myself.......................No doubt your Dad would have been tremendously proud of you and your achievements.

Rob

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Tom, your skill in creating lovely understated faithful recreations of your chosen prototype has many admiring followers, including myself.......................No doubt your Dad would have been tremendously proud of you and your achievements.

Rob

That's very kind of you to say Rob, thank you! I'm having a break from the layout today, and enjoying a video on the Cambrian Coast line!

Next stage I've decided, is drilling the holes for the ratio fence posts. I figure now is the time before I add the next layer of grass! My thoughts are drill the holes, then stick cocktail sticks in the said holes whileI do further grassing. Once grassed further, I can remove the cocktail sticks and insert the fence posts. The other option is insert the fece posts now and try to mask each one off....but that could be tricky! Thoughts?

Also, what is the scale distance in 4mm between GWR fence posts?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes Tom. I have previously used the 'stick in hole' method. 

It works fine. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hello Tom,  first things,- I think your layout is fantastic, and your locos and rolling stock are brilliant!  The depth to which you go in your quest for accuracy is amazing and I have been following your progress here for some time.

I think GWR fenceposts were nomally positioned 6' apart, so say 1" in 00, - at least thats how I have modelled them on my little loft layout 'Sproston'.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure your Father would have been very impressed by your efforts!

Kind Regards,

Steve.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sigtech said:

Hello Tom,  first things,- I think your layout is fantastic, and your locos and rolling stock are brilliant!  The depth to which you go in your quest for accuracy is amazing and I have been following your progress here for some time.

I think GWR fenceposts were nomally positioned 6' apart, so say 1" in 00, - at least thats how I have modelled them on my little loft layout 'Sproston'.

Keep up the good work, I'm sure your Father would have been very impressed by your efforts!

Kind Regards,

Steve.

40 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

Tom looks like Steve is right https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1729 24mm for 6ft spacings is an inch the same in old money ;)

Cheers 

Thanks Steve and Ade!
Well, that's that settled then! 1 inch between posts!

Today has given me a headache, making some adjustments to the plans of the layout extension.... essentially I'm not doing Capel Celyn halt any longer. Why? Well, a friend pointed out that Arenig was the passing place between Cwm Prysor and Bala. As I'm not modelling Arenig, the lack of passing place was going to cause problems operating the layout to the WTT.

So I've come up with an alternative. We will have an off scene holding loop, allowing two trains to pass....plus to be held to help give a feeling of distance between Bala and Cwm Prysor. The railway will then emerge into open countryside that leads directly into Bala. This will also allow the signals to be depicted on the approach to Bala.

Edited by 9793
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1