• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

John of Gaunt’s speech gets me one of my soapboxes, as it is almost never quoted in full.  Gaunt is voicing his opinion of the mess Richard II has made of England, which he equates incorrectly to the entire island of Britain to the perpetual irritation of every Scot or Welshman who’s ever read it in his eulogy of the place, continues for some time after ‘this England!’ to describe the downfall of a once great Nation from the glory days of Edward III and the Black Prince.  

Edward I viewed himself as effectively the feudal overlord of Wales and Scotland. 

Richard would have viewed himself and been viewed by such as Gaunt as heir to those (dubious and forced) “promises”, so Shakespeare is merely reflecting how the Plantagenets saw themselves as rulers of the whole of mainland Britain, if not the British Isles, with Gaunt in particular thinking that Richard was not looking after the lands under the rule of the King of England, as inherited via the “family business”. He would have used the word “England” to refer simultaneously and variously to both the king and the kingdom.

Shakespeare is accurately expressing the point of view of the Plantagenets during a period of uncertainty over what was going to happen when their heirless descendants.(The Tudors, or is that Tudur?) stopped being the family in charge. 

By all means get on your soapbox about that rather ruthless monarch, Edward Long-shanks (complete ******* to anyone when it suited him), but Shakespeare was expressing a character’s worldview.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WM183 said:

Well, I just binged all 55 pages of this thread, and i have to say that it has been an enjoyable few hours! Amazing modelling here, and a load of inspiration for my own fledgling Welsh branch layout. The weathering on your stock in particular just blows my mind!

That's very kind of you, thank you. :)

You can't go wrong with a Welsh branch line! Where about's are you modelling?

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Pucelle = virgin.

Old joke:

What's the difference between Noah's ark, Joan of Arc and Paddington?

Noah's ark is made of wood, Joan of Arc is Maid of Orleans, and Paddington is Maida Vale.

I remember a slightly different version:

What's the connection between Paddington and a glass of shandy?

They're both Maida Vale.

• Like 1

Guest WM183
11 hours ago, 9793 said:

That's very kind of you, thank you. :)

You can't go wrong with a Welsh branch line! Where about's are you modelling?

We're in our infancy yet with planning, but the Llantrisant area is looking quite likely! And I believe we will be working in EM, though after seeing what you've done in 00, I must admit, I've questioned that choice!

13 hours ago, Regularity said:

Edward I viewed himself as effectively the feudal overlord of Wales and Scotland. 

Richard would have viewed himself and been viewed by such as Gaunt as heir to those (dubious and forced) “promises”, so Shakespeare is merely reflecting how the Plantagenets saw themselves as rulers of the whole of mainland Britain, if not the British Isles, with Gaunt in particular thinking that Richard was not looking after the lands under the rule of the King of England, as inherited via the “family business”. He would have used the word “England” to refer simultaneously and variously to both the king and the kingdom.

Shakespeare is accurately expressing the point of view of the Plantagenets during a period of uncertainty over what was going to happen when their heirless descendants.(The Tudors, or is that Tudur?) stopped being the family in charge. 

By all means get on your soapbox about that rather ruthless monarch, Edward Long-shanks (complete ******* to anyone when it suited him), but Shakespeare was expressing a character’s worldview.

I didn't know the history surrounding this speech and those events. But those eleven lines must still rank as some of the best descriptive lines ever written.

What a wonderful thread this is! Ranging from a tiny station on a welsh branchline, to the 'spirit of the Welsh valleys', through history, linguistics, culture, literature, etc.

And driven by and always - eventually - returning, sometimes circuitously, to Tom's lovely representation of this station on a long closed part of the old GWR.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, mikemeg said:

I didn't know the history surrounding this speech and these events. But those first eleven lines must still rank as some of the best descriptive lines ever written.

How do I delete this post? It was meant to be a spelling correction on the previous post!!

Mike

Edited by mikemeg

Tom,

Remember when you bought one of three LNER 3500 gallon tender scratch builds, which I did?

I guess this signal model, which was being built (and is now being completed) for a model of Scarborough, is no use to you on Cwm Prysor? They are lower quadrants - at least most of them - but they're North Eastern not Great Western.

Cheers

Mike

P1150004.JPG

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Regularity said:

a period of uncertainty over what was going to happen when their heirless descendants.(The Tudors, or is that Tudur?) stopped being the family in charge. 

Was being bald a problem for them, then?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Was being bald a problem for them, then?

Dunno, but autocorrect seemed to think so and it took a couple of attempts before “heirless” was accepted.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Best of luck, Tom!

You wouldn't believe it Tim, it runs smooth as anything on my rolling road on DC!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom just found Tim Horn on Flickr and the boards fror Cwm in early form there.

Here    8 photos in total.

interesting to see, no wonder your back scene looks good just in white paint it’s one continual curve.

I don’t think you’ve posted any early build photos here on the thread? I looked back at the first 10 pages quick and didn’t see any? Though I think I have seen them on your blog that you used to link to in you signature.

Nice work as ever hope the weathering businesses is taking off real well.

Cheers 

Ade

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, 1722 said:

Hi Tom, 

Is there any progress on this at all? Missing my Cwm Prysor fix! 

I'm afraid there is nothing to report for the moment.

I have hit some hard realisations over the past two months. I realised that financially, I couldn't support such a large project as the 'Bala' extension and for the time being, I have had to shelve it. The money I had saved has been used to help clear some financial debt which is good. I'm also really enjoying the weathering commissions, which are giving me a lovely amount of variety of rolling stock to work on.

Cwm Prysor I will be pottering on over the summer but I do think I've put too much pressure on myself and I'm suffering from a touch of fatigue on being so focussed on the layout.  I have therefore started a side project, I doubt the subject will interest many and I'm doubtful I will set up a thread for this side project, but here is a glimpse of what I'm working on.

IMG_3652.jpg.08cb2456666a649576f9b8027e28b916.jpg

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 7

55 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Budgetary reality is what it is, Tom, and needs must, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who will miss the regular updates in the railway life of the top left hand corner of Wales!

I'm sorry to disappoint on that from TJ. I'm just struggling to gear up enthusiasm, but I'm sure it will return....finances are always a worry.

Today my central heating oil delivery arrived (my tank had dropped under 100L). Anyhow, I wanted to stick the radiators on (It's cold up here!) and now the burner wont kick in. Plumber is on his way.....

It never rains......

• Friendly/supportive 9

Sorry to hear that Tom. Rest assured that, when you're ready, your extended Rmweb family will be delighted to see you back and updates from Wales. 

Incidentally, that picture and the side project... If its something to do with the Arlesburgh line, I for one would love to see a thread! 

With best wishes. Try and keep your chin up. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 9793 said:

I'm sorry to disappoint on that from TJ. I'm just struggling to gear up enthusiasm, but I'm sure it will return....finances are always a worry.

Today my central heating oil delivery arrived (my tank had dropped under 100L). Anyhow, I wanted to stick the radiators on (It's cold up here!) and now the burner wont kick in. Plumber is on his way.....

It never rains......

Stratford Bill says 'The Rain It Raineth Every Day'.  He's right this summer!

30 minutes ago, 1722 said:

Sorry to hear that Tom. Rest assured that, when you're ready, your extended Rmweb family will be delighted to see you back and updates from Wales. 

Incidentally, that picture and the side project... If its something to do with the Arlesburgh line, I for one would love to see a thread! 

With best wishes. Try and keep your chin up. 

That's very kind of you! Well I might as well spill the beens, if there is interest I might post a thread.

I'm aiming as a side project to model what Awdry intended his railway to be. This is Sodor as the Railway Series depicted (not the TV series). I am looking to model Tidmouth Yards (which the Arlesburgh branch runs by as it heads north) and is behind the main station. It will be set in the 1960s (so essentially from the period covered in Books 15-24). 

I will depict Little Western traffic in the form of the auto trains and Ballast Traffic from Arlesdale. Then there is the marshalling of wagons (BR and NW stock), how they are sorted and the variety. 

I'm using 'the bible' according to Awdry - 'The Island of Sodor' as my reference which is fascinating and insightful.

360_727cc0e2868f15cae09566e7cfa7964a.jpg.4906fb867b83c6c8893dd656de092a3e.jpg

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Sharky said:

Fantastic stuff Tom!

I've always had the urge in the back of my mind to model a Railway Series layout.

I'll be very interested in what becomes of your Tidmouth layout.

Thanks Sharky, I’ve just set up a thread for it :)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

I know you’re focusing on Tidmouth Yard at the moment (following that thread too), but I just wondered what you’d used for ballasting Cwm Prysor?

The colour mix for the mainline and siding look very similar to that on the Yorkshire Dales Railway that I’m modelling - what I can glean from the rare colour photos that show ballast anyway!

I’ve looked back over the thread, but can’t find any reference to how you made the track so convincing; any chance you could share your methods?

7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Hi Tom,

I know you’re focusing on Tidmouth Yard at the moment (following that thread too), but I just wondered what you’d used for ballasting Cwm Prysor?

The colour mix for the mainline and siding look very similar to that on the Yorkshire Dales Railway that I’m modelling - what I can glean from the rare colour photos that show ballast anyway!

I’ve looked back over the thread, but can’t find any reference to how you made the track so convincing; any chance you could share your methods?

Hi Tortgua

I used Blended Grey I think from woodland scenics and mixed the fine and medium ballast together. Very pleased with the finish (further weathering was done using a dirty thinners paint mix through a pipette).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...